musterdbom
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:32 am

Re: Torque pro battery capacity guess...

Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:39 am

Pulled the trigger on the replacement. Body has some more paint chips in it than the first, but this one will have 17k miles in silver instead of white. Carvana has been great to deal with so far and understood why I chose to return it, but you're right Chris. If they would go through the trouble of posting a battery capacity estimate then these cars would hopefully be easier to sell or at least price accordingly. I still think most buyers won't know what to look for unless they do a TON of research into each specific make/model battery type and degradation history. The shift to Facebook as a "forum" platform only makes it harder to find historical information and opinions.

I'd be happy with 16 kwh. If this one doesn't work out I fear I may bow out of the Spark EV game. Carvana has enabled buyers like me who live in rural areas to buy into these limited production cars by solving the biggest problem, physically getting the car HERE. For that I applaud them and hope this next one works out.
2016 Spark ev 2LT white

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 1024
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca in Central California

Re: Torque pro battery capacity guess...

Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:56 am

musterdbom wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:39 am
Pulled the trigger on the replacement. Body has some more paint chips in it than the first, but this one will have 17k miles in silver instead of white. Carvana has been great to deal with so far and understood why I chose to return it, but you're right Chris. If they would go through the trouble of posting a battery capacity estimate then these cars would hopefully be easier to sell or at least price accordingly. I still think most buyers won't know what to look for unless they do a TON of research into each specific make/model battery type and degradation history. The shift to Facebook as a "forum" platform only makes it harder to find historical information and opinions.

I'd be happy with 16 kwh. If this one doesn't work out I fear I may bow out of the Spark EV game. Carvana has enabled buyers like me who live in rural areas to buy into these limited production cars by solving the biggest problem, physically getting the car HERE. For that I applaud them and hope this next one works out.
When the car arrives and if you can measure battery capacity with TorquePro, would Carvana allow you to check the battery capacity before they roll it off of the truck?

musterdbom
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:32 am

Re: Torque pro battery capacity guess...

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:01 am

MrDRMorgan wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:56 am
musterdbom wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:39 am
Pulled the trigger on the replacement. Body has some more paint chips in it than the first, but this one will have 17k miles in silver instead of white. Carvana has been great to deal with so far and understood why I chose to return it, but you're right Chris. If they would go through the trouble of posting a battery capacity estimate then these cars would hopefully be easier to sell or at least price accordingly. I still think most buyers won't know what to look for unless they do a TON of research into each specific make/model battery type and degradation history. The shift to Facebook as a "forum" platform only makes it harder to find historical information and opinions.

I'd be happy with 16 kwh. If this one doesn't work out I fear I may bow out of the Spark EV game. Carvana has enabled buyers like me who live in rural areas to buy into these limited production cars by solving the biggest problem, physically getting the car HERE. For that I applaud them and hope this next one works out.
When the car arrives and if you can measure battery capacity with TorquePro, would Carvana allow you to check the battery capacity before they roll it off of the truck?
They roll the car off and let me drive it around for 30min or so to make sure I want to keep it. So yes I can absolutely pull the capacity with Torque and if it's low I can have the driver load it back up and take it back at no charge or obligations.

I had that stupid junky ebay OBD2 dongle that wouldn't read the capacity so I couldn't give it a good evaluation on the first white car or I would have most likely denied delivery of it. I have the reader that works now and will know immediately the answer to the battery mystery. Also want to confirm it has DC fast charge. I chatted with Chevy online and they say it does have it, listing on Carvana didn't list it. In my Carvana experience I have chatted with chevy on MULTIPLE VIN's and more often than not they have DC fast charge but Carvana doesn't list them as having it.
2016 Spark ev 2LT white

Chris101
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:37 am

Re: Torque pro battery capacity guess...

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:29 pm

I've been happy with my Silver Spark FWIW!

Where 'middle of nowhere' do you live anyway musterdbom ? ...just curious

musterdbom
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:32 am

Re: Torque pro battery capacity guess...

Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:10 pm

Chris101 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:29 pm
I've been happy with my Silver Spark FWIW!

Where 'middle of nowhere' do you live anyway musterdbom ? ...just curious
I'm in Blacksburg, VA or Virginia Tech. Nearest Carvana is in Greensboro, NC so they drive it 2hrs one way and I drive 7 miles to meet them to avoid a $399 delivery fee. There's a free Greenlots DC fast charge station downtown at the courthouse and several free L2 spots around town. I still have an L2 here at the house from when I had a 1st gen Volt. Great car, but got totalled when wife was driving it last November.
2016 Spark ev 2LT white

SparkyJ
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:15 am

Re: Torque pro battery capacity guess...

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:03 pm

My 2015 read 14.8 kwh with 28,400 miles on it today. I have to go back to the thread I originally posted in...I think it was 16.1kwh in july 2018 with around 20k miles. Nothing I'm concerned about if all that is accurate with daily charges all week over the last year. I don't see an issue with any year spark ev that has 25k plus miles on it with kwh's over 13-14...hopefully that is where the capacity loss starts to slow. I will have mine around 2 more years and will keep tracking.

musterdbom
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:32 am

Re: Torque pro battery capacity guess...

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:56 am

Got the new one, just under 17k miles, DC fast charge and torque batt capacity says 15.8. So I'll keep it!

Interesting energy usage though. I imagine while they were cleaning/detailing it they left the AC on full blast without driving it anywhere as the energy screen was very lopsided and it even had some battery conditioning show up so I'm guessing it was neglected a little bit, possibly left uncharged?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/e7ywy8ky2ovxKP997
2016 Spark ev 2LT white

SparkE
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:18 am
Location: SF Bay Area (San Jose, CA)

Re: Torque pro battery capacity guess...

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:58 am

I recommend getting a smart trickle charger (12V auto battery type) an trickle charging your accessory battery overnight. The car will not work if the 12V battery goes south, and if the car sat around for a long period of time the 12V battery might have been damaged. I have this one and love it :

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-865-Auto ... 006CQ9BMO/

Others here have different ones and they like them as well. (I fully charge my 12V battery overnight about once a month.)

I also recommend getting a Li-Ion "jump starter" to carry around (*do not* leave it in the hot car!) because if the battery goes, you can hook it up and drive the car home. Something like this :

https://www.amazon.com/TACKLIFE-Car-Jum ... 075K42Z1M/

(I am NOT recommending this particular item, just showing you the sort of thing I am talking about.)

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 1024
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca in Central California

Re: Torque pro battery capacity guess...

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:13 am

"I recommend getting a smart trickle charger (12V auto battery type) an trickle charging your accessory battery overnight. The car will not work if the 12V battery goes south, and if the car sat around for a long period of time the 12V battery might have been damaged. "

I really agree with SparkE's post regarding keeping the 12 volt battery in top shape. I have 2 Spark EVs and every month I charge the 12 volt battery overnight using a BatteryMinder model 2012-AGM battery charger. This charger has an option that allows me to charge through the OBD2 port inside of the car. It has been working great! If you go this route, it is very important that the charger you select is for 12 volt AGM batteries and that it has a DESULFATING function built in.

musterdbom
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:32 am

Re: Torque pro battery capacity guess...

Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:04 am

Thanks for the tips. I do have this charger that I use for everything:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5 ... UTF8&psc=1

I put two 18AH batteries in my son's power wheels so it only needs to be charged once a month or so haha.

I need to check the battery and see if it's the original, I'm assuming it will be.

Good news, brand new tires.
Bad new, they're bad non-eco Sailun Atrezzo SH406.
Conclusion, they hold air, aren't too noisy and no vibrations up to 70mph so I'm okay with them.

I had already ordered an ebay "tint kit" for the last spark as well as the Lloyd mats which should be here today. Surprise, this one came with factory mats even though the Carvana pics didn't show them, score!
2016 Spark ev 2LT white

Return to “Batteries and Charging”