lalacurf121
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: L vs. D

Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:53 pm

headed down a steep hill and have a lot of momentum you won't decelerate rapidly enough to trigger the light?


royal1688

Taxman
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:51 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: L vs. D

Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:16 am

Is the regenerative brake light triggered by brake force (regen kW divided by speed), or by actual deceleration (change in wheel speed)? If you know when the light is on, you could test by seeing if the light goes out sooner on a downhill.

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca in Central California

Re: L vs. D

Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:25 am

Taxman wrote:Is the regenerative brake light triggered by brake force (regen kW divided by speed), or by actual deceleration (change in wheel speed)? If you know when the light is on, you could test by seeing if the light goes out sooner on a downhill.
I drive in L 100% of the time so I had the software updated on my 2014 and 2015 Spark EVs to turn on the brake lights when I take my foot off of the accelerator. From what I can see at night, you must take your foot almost completely off of the accelerator to have the brake lights come on. It has been working great - much better than the 1.5 second delay the cars came with.

Taxman
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:51 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: L vs. D

Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:58 pm

So, with the current software, fully lifting with the selector in L gets you brake lights, uphill, downhill, flat ground?

Asking the car to regen brake without using the brake pedal puts on the lights to warn those behind you that you are slowing, not coasting?

That sounds good to me.

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca in Central California

Re: L vs. D

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:29 pm

Taxman wrote:So, with the current software, fully lifting with the selector in L gets you brake lights, uphill, downhill, flat ground?

Asking the car to regen brake without using the brake pedal puts on the lights to warn those behind you that you are slowing, not coasting?

That sounds good to me.
That is exactly how it is working for me. My original concern was that the 1.5 second delay could catch a driver behind me off guard if I was driving in L and took my foot off of the accelerator pedal for max regen. At 50 - 60 mph you can cover quite a distance in 1.5 seconds before the brake lights actually go on. Now, after the software upgrade, the lights come on when I fully back off of the accelerator. I can coast or slow down more slowly without the brake lights coming on. I have watched drivers behind me and I do not see any of them panicking because they did not see my brake lights come on and suddenly found I had started slowing down.

You will need to visit your dealer to have the software upgraded. Your dealer can find this fix in Recall / Campaign 15582 Unwanted Brake Lamp Activation.

If you take your car in, if applicable to your vehicle, have the dealer also perform recall campaign 16007 - Frontal Airbag and Pretensioner Non Deploy. This is a recent safety issue.
Last edited by MrDRMorgan on Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oberon
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:47 pm
Location: Oakland, California

Re: L vs. D

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:44 pm

MrDRMorgan wrote: You will need to visit your dealer to have the software upgraded. Your dealer can find this fix in Recall / Campaign 15582 Unwanted Brake Lamp Activation.

If you take your car in, if applicable to your vehicle, have the dealer also perform recall campaign 16007 - Frontal Airbag and Pretensioner Non Deploy. This is a recent safety issue.
How do you find out about these updates? I have two Spark Evs, a 2014 that comes off lease in November, so I don't care much, and a 2016 that I purchased in June, so I'd like to keep on top of this one. Thanks.
If simplicity worked, the world would be overrun with insects
-----
2016 White Spark EV with DCFC (used to have 2014 Spark EV)

Taxman
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:51 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: L vs. D

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:48 am

MrDRMorgan wrote: Campaign 15582 Unwanted Brake Lamp Activation.

So, you let them do a campaign to solve unwanted brake lamp activation, and it makes the brake lights come on sooner?

Whoever titled that one missed his true calling, naming legislation.

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca in Central California

Re: L vs. D

Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:59 am

Oberon wrote:
MrDRMorgan wrote: You will need to visit your dealer to have the software upgraded. Your dealer can find this fix in Recall / Campaign 15582 Unwanted Brake Lamp Activation.

If you take your car in, if applicable to your vehicle, have the dealer also perform recall campaign 16007 - Frontal Airbag and Pretensioner Non Deploy. This is a recent safety issue.
How do you find out about these updates? I have two Spark Evs, a 2014 that comes off lease in November, so I don't care much, and a 2016 that I purchased in June, so I'd like to keep on top of this one. Thanks.
I found out about the brake light and frontal airbag recalls from postings on this forum. I suggest you sign up on MyChevrolet.com. There is a NOTIFICATIONS box in the upper right-side of the screen that will show you any recalls for your vehicle(s) once you provide the VIN numbers.

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca in Central California

Re: L vs. D

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:05 am

Taxman wrote:
MrDRMorgan wrote: Campaign 15582 Unwanted Brake Lamp Activation.

So, you let them do a campaign to solve unwanted brake lamp activation, and it makes the brake lights come on sooner?

Whoever titled that one missed his true calling, naming legislation.
I guess having the brake lights come on 1.5 seconds AFTER you let off of the accelerator is considered UNWANTED BRAKE LAMP ACTIVATION. Regardless, the correction works.

Homer
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:27 am

Re: L vs. D

Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:17 pm

Oberon wrote:
MrDRMorgan wrote: You will need to visit your dealer to have the software upgraded. Your dealer can find this fix in Recall / Campaign 15582 Unwanted Brake Lamp Activation.

If you take your car in, if applicable to your vehicle, have the dealer also perform recall campaign 16007 - Frontal Airbag and Pretensioner Non Deploy. This is a recent safety issue.
How do you find out about these updates? I have two Spark Evs, a 2014 that comes off lease in November, so I don't care much, and a 2016 that I purchased in June, so I'd like to keep on top of this one. Thanks.
The airbag one just came out-- I found out through the diagnostics page that onstar sends you (there's a link to check the status of recalls)

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”