Chevy Spark EV Forum

It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Connecting an inverter for emergency power
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:51 am 

SparkieVee wrote:
Expalpo,

I've both run my fridge using an inverter and charged my Spark using the solar. I think you'll be fine.

I haven't used the Spark to run the inverter, but I've run it from other cars. I have an 800 watt continuous (1600 watt peak) inverter that had no problems running my newish, energy-star fridge. If your fridge uses more power, you may need a larger inverter. Just keep the load within what the Spark will handle.

After my solar was installed and inspected, but before the utility would let me connect, I used the SMA inverter's built-in outlet to charge the Spark a few times. It had no problems charging at 8 amps, showing just over 1000 watts flowing, but wouldn't do 12 amps - the car would stop charging, even though it's a 3KW system that produces over 2000 watts most of the day.

Personally, the next time I have a lengthy outage, I'll probably try to run the fridge directly from the solar inverter, but if that doesn't work I'll run the fridge from the car and top up the car from the solar.

I am curious. How would you connect to the Spark's battery so you could draw sufficient current for the inverter? It looks like there is a fuse box mounted to and completely covering the positive post.

Post note: I took a closer look at the Spark EV battery posts and it is possible to connect a wire to each post. The only challenge would be to find a lug that would fit both the battery post and accommodate the required 5 AWG diameter wire.

Last edited by MrDRMorgan on Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:25 am 

SparkieVee -

Great news! I too have an SMA "Sunny Boy" inverter on my solar setup with the secure power supply option. Glad to hear that you've charged the Spark at the 8 amp level. I want to have the same options you've discussed: the ability to use the SMA's secure power supply when the sun is out and the Spark's power at night during a grid outage. Thank you for the post. If/when I get the Spark to power an inverter successfully, I'll post the results.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:44 pm 

MrDRMorgan wrote:

Post note: I took a closer look at the Spark EV battery posts and it is possible to connect a wire to each post. The only challenge would be to find a lug that would fit both the battery post and accommodate the required 5 AWG diameter wire.

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you (or someone else) ever found a good way to connect a 1500W power inverter cables to the Spark 12 V battery.

I just installed a quick disconnect set of cables in our volt so I could connect a 1500W power inverter for power outage, and would like to do the same on our spark, so we have two options.

But the lugs currently on the spark 12V battery don't look quite up to making a clean & sound connection to the kind of cables required for the inverter.

I would be curious to hear from anyone who would have made a power inverter connection to the Spark.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:14 am 

1500 watts can be 107 AMPS.
This is giving the car's APM a work out at full load.
You probably won't ever come close to using it at full load.
If you don't tap in at the bigazz battery cables, where can you tap in?
A 100 AMP fuse right near the Positive battery post is the proper way to make for a safe installation.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:24 am 

NORTON wrote:
1500 watts can be 107 AMPS.
This is giving the car's APM a work out at full load.
You probably won't ever come close to using it at full load.
If you don't tap in at the bigazz battery cables, where can you tap in?
A 100 AMP fuse right near the Positive battery post is the proper way to make for a safe installation.

The inverter is 1500W, but I would not draw more than 1200W like for the Volt Gen 2.
I definitely use a 100A fuse or breaker close to the Plus connection for added safety.

My question was about a clean way to connect to the battery terminals.
On the Volt you have clean large bolts accessible for both the plus and minus.
On the spark, the only thing really accessible are the battery terminals, and they don't offer a large bolt connection for the thick cables.

I was wondering if others had done this and come up with specific ways to attach thick cables permanently to the battery terminal with a quick connect / disconnect connector for the inverter cables.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:26 pm 

scrambler wrote:
...On the spark, the only thing really accessible are the battery terminals, and they don't offer a large bolt connection for the thick cables.
.... specific ways to attach thick cables permanently to the battery terminal with a quick connect / disconnect connector for the inverter cables.

Anderson SBS series connectors, good to 105 Amps.
4 ga. to 1/4" ring terminals and large area washers on both sides of the ring terminal/battery bolt connection.
You may have to buy longer bolts for the existing battery clamps.
And of course the inline fuse holder between the positive clamp and the Anderson connector.
The ring terminals and Anderson pin/sockets should be professionally crimped onto the 4 ga. wire, but you might be able to solder them with enough heat...

This is way more power than the car's APM is ever asked to produce in real life. Do you really need this much power?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:53 pm 

NORTON wrote:
4 ga. to 1/4" ring terminals and large area washers on both sides of the ring terminal/battery bolt connection.
You may have to buy longer bolts for the existing battery clamps.

That is the part I have a problem with, unlike the Volt, the Spark existing battery terminals/clamps do not have a place for a large bolt, so it seems I would have to undo the existing terminals/clamps and replace them by different one, and if so, this is the part I am unsure of. I dont know if it is easy or not to remove the existing ones and put new ones, and which ones.
On top of that, the plus Terminal has a very specific structure to connect at least to cables right now, so not sure if any standard terminal/clamp could be easily used.

I will most likely not be using all the inverter power, as I would most likely just connect a fridge, the cable modem, and eventually the TV and a few LED lamps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:15 am 

scrambler wrote:
>... the Spark existing battery terminals/clamps do not have a place for a large bolt, so it seems I would have to undo the existing terminals/clamps and replace them by different one, ...

>>I will most likely not be using all the inverter power, as I would most likely just connect a fridge, the cable modem, and eventually the TV and a few LED lamps.

>That's where the big gauge/ small bolt hole ring terminal comes in.
With a wide area washer on both sides of this ring terminal the small metric bolt on these battery clamps should make a good contact path.
But, as you said this could all be changed with adapter battery clamps. I have seen the crazy high power car audio amp suppliers offer strange adapters for clamping to the battery posts. Some even have built in high power fuse holders.

>>Yeah, that's why building up with a 1500 W inverter may be an overkill. You could survey the appliances you want to power with a 'Kill a Watt'.
How long will your house run before you have to 'Go to town and bring home some electrons from the free DCFC?"

If you really want to be a prepper you need a gas generator and the adapter cable to unplug the drier, turn off the Main CB, plug in the generator and live in a normal house.,,, until you run out of gas...

When was the last time you lost power?
My 400 W inverter came with alligator clamps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:54 am 

I already have a pas powered generator for two sump pumps in my yard, so this is just clean power for house electronics.

We use to only have outages once or twice a year during big storms, but they lasted from 1/2 days to 3 days. An we had 3 outages during a few hours now in the last two weeks...

Still no closer to a solution for hooking onto the battery terminals without redoing the whole cable to battery terminal connectors though...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:34 am 

scrambler wrote:
...Still no closer to a solution ...

Small mounting hole (1/4") / big gauge ring terminals. Why can't these be bolted to longer (if needed) battery clamp bolts?

Are you saying you'd like to buy a ready made kit and don't want to assemble these cables?

I wish I knew how to post pics here since photobucket stopped working. :?

I have these ring terminals at work and I can show one next to the battery clamp bolts. This would be a good solid connection.

Are people posting pics any more on this site? :?: