ElectricAdventure

Re: Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Sat May 09, 2020 6:20 pm

I wanted to note that I got a successful session with an ABB Electrify America Station to work. The station was in Brigham City, UT and I had tried it a few times before and it gave me the same errors as the one in Salt Lake City UT, Scipio UT and Beaver UT.

I will try the Salt Lake ABB EA unit with a few other model years of the Spark EV to see if they work too. Hopefully my climbing partner will feel up for another long distance drive this coming weekend (just completed a 400 mile trip from Payson UT to Logan UT in a Spark EV) so we can try the southern units out.

Randy960

Tue May 12, 2020 7:25 am

MrDRMorgan wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:05 am
Randy960 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:13 am
So the weather has warmed up enough (plus an endless amount of free time) that I had the range to go try the next closest EA station in Fredonia, NY. They are also Efacec units like the location closer to me. I tried all four with no success (and then doused myself with sanitizer and went home).
Did you try supporting the handle and heavy cable during the initialization process until the car's horn honked? That seems to be the only way to get the EA ABB chargers to work for a Spark EV. I have never seen or used an Efacec charger so I do not know if what I suggested will work or not. But, it is worth a try.
Yeah, I'm quite familiar with the process now. As long as you park so that you don't have to twist the handle, it clicks in quite nicely. During initialization, I've tried a few different methods just to see what it does. Actually, the only time it has done anything different is when I tried squeezing the trigger mid-initialization, it actually seemed to partially latch, and took longer to decide it couldn't connect. The rest of the time it fails very consistently, leading to my suspicion of software issues.

MrDRMorgan

Tue May 12, 2020 2:41 pm

Randy960 wrote:
MrDRMorgan wrote:
Randy960 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:13 am
So the weather has warmed up enough (plus an endless amount of free time) that I had the range to go try the next closest EA station in Fredonia, NY. They are also Efacec units like the location closer to me. I tried all four with no success (and then doused myself with sanitizer and went home).
Did you try supporting the handle and heavy cable during the initialization process until the car's horn honked? That seems to be the only way to get the EA ABB chargers to work for a Spark EV. I have never seen or used an Efacec charger so I do not know if what I suggested will work or not. But, it is worth a try.
Yeah, I'm quite familiar with the process now. As long as you park so that you don't have to twist the handle, it clicks in quite nicely. During initialization, I've tried a few different methods just to see what it does. Actually, the only time it has done anything different is when I tried squeezing the trigger mid-initialization, it actually seemed to partially latch, and took longer to decide it couldn't connect. The rest of the time it fails very consistently, leading to my suspicion of software issues.
Could be true. Electrify America installed 8 - 150 kWh and 2 - 350 kWh ABB chargers in Livermore, CA. I tried all of them and none would work. I tried other EA - ABB locations within about a 45 mile radius from my home and none of them worked either. I contacted EA and they actually met me in Livermore so I could demonstrate the problem. Many months later it appears they have the problem fixed. All of the charging locations which failed before are now working but I still have to support the handle / cable during the initialization process. EA chargers manufactured by BTCPower have always worked for me without any problems.

ElectricAdventure

Wed May 13, 2020 9:14 am

MrDRMorgan wrote:
Randy960 wrote:
MrDRMorgan wrote:

Could be true. Electrify America installed 8 - 150 kWh and 2 - 350 kWh ABB chargers in Livermore, CA. I tried all of them and none would work. I tried other EA - ABB locations within about a 45 mile radius from my home and none of them worked either. I contacted EA and they actually met me in Livermore so I could demonstrate the problem. Many months later it appears they have the problem fixed. All of the charging locations which failed before are now working but I still have to support the handle / cable during the initialization process. EA chargers manufactured by BTCPower have always worked for me without any problems.
I remember when the first Electrify America Station went up in my state. It was an ABB. I drove up and tested it in my car and it worked first try on a random unit. The pin count was 3-by-5 like all other new EA stations. It didn't work few months later and now works again. It has to be a software problem .

MrDRMorgan

Wed May 13, 2020 11:26 am

ElectricAdventure wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:14 am
MrDRMorgan wrote:
Randy960 wrote:

I remember when the first Electrify America Station went up in my state. It was an ABB. I drove up and tested it in my car and it worked first try on a random unit. The pin count was 3-by-5 like all other new EA stations. It didn't work few months later and now works again. It has to be a software problem .
I started DCFC charging using EVgo 50 kWh stations manufactured by ABB and I had, and continue to have, very good charging experiences. I was happy that EA finally fixed the problem but I still had charging problems until one Spark EV driver on this forum posted how it was necessary to support the handle until the initialization process completed. I have had excellent results doing that. However, I never had to support the handle when charging on EA stations manufactured by BTCPower.

Because of the "shelter-in-place" order here in California, I haven't had been venturing out much so I have not had to do any DCFC charging. My closest EA ABB charging location is located at Walmart in Tracy, CA which is about 19 miles from my home and my closest EVgo station is located in Salida which is about 10 miles from my home.

ElectricAdventure

Sat May 23, 2020 10:02 am

EA is putting a station in at Green River UT which finally makes Spanish Fork UT to Moab UT possible in low range EV's without needing to stop for a l2 charge. I actually have my fingers crossed that my eSpark doesn't sell by the time these units are in so I can try that drive out. The units look like Signet units but now that I have a 100% success rate with EA chargers and my eSpark it doesn't matter anymore!

Return to “Batteries and Charging”