NORTON

Re: Battery Degradation vs Battery Limited Warranty

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:28 am

agdodgerfan wrote:I honestly don't think that's accurate I think it doesn't take into account region because when I did try and track in the past it was all over the place. ...
Huh, mine has variations but in a small range. And then you can average that. I'm not gathering data this time of year bc I plug in at work and at home and never use more than 50%.
I hate winter. :oops: I have to buy electrons to drive the car this time of year, bc I want the pack to be in the happy temp range. :cry: :)

It's just some additional data.
It would be great if you could gather some additional data points to compare to the one time OBD-II measurement.

And then post them here !!
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +85k miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 1st try car died again, 2nd try / cost $800. 3rd try fixed the problem.

CypressVH

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:42 am

My 2014 Spark EV has about 43k miles and battery capacity (based on the GOM) is down to about 14.8kWh.
Last edited by CypressVH on Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CypressVH

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:43 am

Anyone with iPhone and a Spark EV figure out how to get the battery data from the OBD port?

canspark

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:50 pm

8-)
Yep. It works great. App has kinda old school UI/iOS 8, but functionally good.

Offenbach

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:35 am

I own a 2015 Chevy Spark EV with just under 23,000 miles on it. I bought it used and I did purchase a separate battery warranty in addition to GM's. That warranty provides for repair or replacement if the battery capacity falls below 70%. Until very recently, I was able to charge the battery up to 76-78 miles before charging shutdown showing fully charged. Then, one day recently, it would only charge to 68-69 miles before shutdown. Like an earlier posting, I was expecting a more gradual degradation. I will determine my battery's use percentage by using the formula suggested. I do live in the middle gulf coast of Florida, and the weather now is much hotter than in the winter or spring, so maybe that has something to do with it. It's not so much that I'm concerned now - the mileage available is fine for my needs - it's the concern I feel if another big drop-down is in my near future.

TheLondonBroiler

Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:00 am

Offenbach wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:35 am
Until very recently, I was able to charge the battery up to 76-78 miles before charging shutdown showing fully charged. Then, one day recently, it would only charge to 68-69 miles before shutdown. Like an earlier posting, I was expecting a more gradual degradation. I will determine my battery's use percentage by using the formula suggested. I do live in the middle gulf coast of Florida, and the weather now is much hotter than in the winter or spring, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Documenting your capacity every few months, is pretty essential to maintaining your sanity, if you're a bit paranoid about these things (I'm guilty of it as well). From what I've experienced, barring a component becoming defective, degradation in the Spark is a gradual experience. I'd be willing to bet the hot weather and corresponding AC use has everything to do with your range drop. Florida is one of the few places where your winter range is probably as good as, if not better than your summer range, because most people can get by without needing the heater during a "Florida Winter."
2015 Spark EV w/ DCFC 48,XXX miles
Purchased 1/20/18 w/ 16,5XX miles
0-40k mile efficiency avg - 5.3 mi/kwh

2019 Bolt EV w/ DCFC 63,XXX miles
Purchased 3/16/19 w/ 87 miles
Lifetime efficiency avg - 4.7 mi/kwh

Planerench

Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:20 am

After having by wife total my first Spark EV (White 2014, no DCFC) and my son totalling my second Spark EV (Red 2015, DCFC) I traveled 700 miles to Fresno to buy a 2014 with 5900 miles on it hoping everything would be fresh. My first two days are showing about 11.5 KWH on what was a 21 KWH battery :o As soon as the title is transferred I'll be on my way to the dealership to check into the warranty!

TheLondonBroiler

Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:32 am

Planerench wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:20 am
I traveled 700 miles to Fresno to buy a 2014 with 5900 miles on it hoping everything would be fresh. My first two days are showing about 11.5 KWH on what was a 21 KWH battery :o As soon as the title is transferred I'll be on my way to the dealership to check into the warranty!
Yikes! Does it have DCFC? Did you buy from a Chevy/GM dealership? I would have to imagine it sat around at 100% SOC baking in the sun or the complete opposite to get that bad. So long as there's no stored data in the vehicle's computer system of such events, I don't see how GM could deny this claim, as it's the most drastic case of degradation that I've heard of in a Spark EV to date. Looking forward to hear how you make out.
2015 Spark EV w/ DCFC 48,XXX miles
Purchased 1/20/18 w/ 16,5XX miles
0-40k mile efficiency avg - 5.3 mi/kwh

2019 Bolt EV w/ DCFC 63,XXX miles
Purchased 3/16/19 w/ 87 miles
Lifetime efficiency avg - 4.7 mi/kwh

Planerench

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:35 pm

Yeah, another first :( . This was a super low mileage (5750 miles) lease, then one private owner vehicle that sold at auction to the dealer in Fresno in March of 2019. The photo on CarGurus was of the dash at that time and showed 80 miles on the guess o meter with most of a full charge so I made the trip down there. They had it listed at $8750 down from $9800 originally (no DCFC :lol: ) and what do you know? I has not sold in 18 months! I told him the windshield wipers were rotting off, the original tires are weather checked, even the clear-coat is frosting on the roof. $8000 out the door or I'm going home. He accepted and now my only chance of saving this mess is if the battery warranty is lined with pure gold! On the other hand, the seats, steering wheel, switches, carpet are all new. The door hinges, latches, seals are all unmolested and tight. If I can get the battery taken care of I'll repaint it in a couple of years.

They must have charged the crap out of it with the trickle charger and let her bake...

NORTON

Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:06 pm

If it was plugged in most of the time at least the TMS would keep the batter temps safe.
If it displayed 80 miles on the GOM something is OK.
I'd give it a week or so of living with its new family before getting too excited.

Are you going to let the kid and wife drive this one? Eventually you'll get flagged by your insurance company.... :lol:

Me, I flogged the hekk out of my '17 Bolt on a trip from LA to KC.
114° in LA and Vegas, Rain, Snow, 22° F in the Rockies, 30 mph headwinds across the plains, it was showing ~180 miles the first few full charges.
I'm trying not to freak. :o
She drives it mostly.
I'm going to get it from a free L2 in a moment. I hope is shows better.....
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +85k miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 1st try car died again, 2nd try / cost $800. 3rd try fixed the problem.

Return to “Batteries and Charging”