110+ Miles on first charge (168MPGe) Woot Woot! (168MPGe)

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezjam

My plan is to only charge at the office. However, on my first trip to work, I forgot to bring in the charging cord. So I drove home and back the next day for a total of 90 miles w/o plugging in. When I plugged in the next day, I still had 22 miles to empty.

Onstar RemoteLink is reporting 168 MPGe.

Do note that I live about 1200 feet higher than where I work. Hence the drive to work is pretty much a freebee. (I left with 82 miles to empty and arrived with 86 miles to empty.)

Another bonus, I am using a 240 supply at the office (that I hacked together myself.)

VonSpark,

I noticed your signature. I too have 27 panels. Took me over 2 months of weekends to install. But I'm loving watching the meter spin back! Next, I'm looking at installing misters to keep panels cool as I have noticed on hot days, they produce less.

ezjam

ezjam said:
VonSpark,

I noticed your signature. I too have 27 panels. Took me over 2 months of weekends to install. But I'm loving watching the meter spin back! Next, I'm looking at installing misters to keep panels cool as I have noticed on hot days, they produce less.

ezjam

How much did your solar panels end up costing you? Labor and parts, etc?

FYI...I've 2400 miles on this car in less than 2 months...lol. And I'm averaging 149 MPGe via Onstar and getting 5.5 miles/kWh on the dash.

If I calculate what my MPG actually is from when I reset the car's energy consumption per mile, I'm actually getting 185 MPG. (5.5*33.7)

It's great.

ezjam said:
VonSpark,

ezjam

Ezjam,

I am assuming that you install the panels yourself. I am not that handy but since you DIY; my guess is your panels is not as efficient. You are talking about mister as in water sprinkler. If so, don't do it. They leak after a while of use. Meant for cleaning the panels but I sure you know that.

Here is the my solar panels. all of the 18 panels facing East has been moved to south. I cut the tree half way down; it produce much better.

fmidk6.jpg

nozferatu said:
ezjam said:
VonSpark,

ezjam

I saw someone on this board has their signature "don't buy lease is cheaper" something in that line. I lease my system as I do with my Spark. If I had the money I would have finance it but finance was not available back in two years ago (6-7%, today you can finance for 2.99%). Banks are on board with solar so the interest is really good.

If you are thinking of getting solar, do it! send me a text I can help you size the system etc....

nozferatu said:
FYI...I've 2400 miles on this car in less than 2 months...lol. And I'm averaging 149 MPGe via Onstar and getting 5.5 miles/kWh on the dash.

If I calculate what my MPG actually is from when I reset the car's energy consumption per mile, I'm actually getting 185 MPG. (5.5*33.7)

It's great.

That is really good number. Did you drive down hill mate? :roll: I get about 5 miles per kw. :mrgreen:

nozferatu said:
ezjam said:
VonSpark,

ezjam

Yes, I installed them myself. I got a crazy expensive quote from one of those door-to-door salesman. I ended up paying about half for double the wattage. Overall (permits and engineering plans included) I paid about $17.5K for a 6.8KW system with Enphase micro inverters. I know a single converter would have been cheaper but I have some tall skinny pines I did not want to cut that shade 1.5 panels at any one time. Right now I'm averaging 43KWh per day.

And yes, all my components are USA made.

VonSpark said:
ezjam said:
VonSpark,

ezjam

Ezjam,

I am assuming that you install the panels yourself. I am not that handy but since you DIY; my guess is your panels is not as efficient. You are talking about mister as in water sprinkler. If so, don't do it. They leak after a while of use. Meant for cleaning the panels but I sure you know that.

Here is the my solar panels. all of the 18 panels facing East has been moved to south. I cut the tree half way down; it produce much better.

fmidk6.jpg

The misters are for cooling the panels as efficiency goes down with increased temperature. I'm still investigating as I have read that rain water is best for this as it does not leave a calcium film on panels (which over time would decrease efficiency.)

VonSpark said:
nozferatu said:

It's great.

That is really good number. Did you drive down hill mate? :roll: I get about 5 miles per kw. :mrgreen:

Haha...not really. I just drive relaxed and have occasional outbursts of speed to spank the usual morons in 328i's, 535i's, C250's, etc....the expressions on their faces are priceless.

I had a Fiat 500 Sport prior to this...I was getting almost 40 MPG combined. So I drive relatively gently....no real need to gun it all the time.

With that said, my driving is 50/50 city/highway.

VonSpark said:
nozferatu said:
ezjam said:
VonSpark,

ezjam

I saw someone on this board has their signature "don't buy lease is cheaper" something in that line. I lease my system as I do with my Spark. If I had the money I would have finance it but finance was not available back in two years ago (6-7%, today you can finance for 2.99%). Banks are on board with solar so the interest is really good.

If you are thinking of getting solar, do it! send me a text I can help you size the system etc....

Sounds good I will!

nozferatu said:
Haha...not really. I just drive relaxed and have occasional outbursts of speed to spank the usual morons in 328i's, 535i's, C250's, etc....the expressions on their faces are priceless.

It's funny that you point that out. Few days ago I was on the second lane behind a slow car at the red light. Green light I pass that slow car now I am on second lane first at the light. The guy from first lane notice my speeder and look over and that face like do you want to race. It was mini cooper maybe the S model really fast car too.

He was lucky I have to make a immediate turn after the light. :) He did spin he tire. :roll:

ezjam said:
So I drove home and back the next day for a total of 90 miles w/o plugging in. When I plugged in the next day, I still had 22 miles to empty.

Great mileage, but your title is misleading. You got 90 Miles on your first charge.

Back