2014 Chevrolet Spark EV: Worth the Extra Charge?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

west

Article for Spark EV forum.

Introduced on Wednesday: 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV

What it is: The subcompact Spark, the car with the largest headlights (per square inch) in the industry, is going gasless. And senseless.

What it isn’t: It isn’t competitive. A Spark – if you really must have one – can be bought with a thrifty gas engine for less than $13,000.

What makes it tick: A coaxial drive unit and electric motor combo, good for 130 horsepower and an impressive 400 pound-feet of torque, juiced by a 20-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery. It can be fast-charged to 80 percent of capacity in as little as 20 minutes, using an optional connector; the batteries can also be topped up in about seven hours on a dedicated 240-volt line; 120-volt charging is also possible, but be prepared to wait. And wait. Chevrolet is not saying what the Spark EV’s range will be other than “among the best in the segment”, which is probably about 80 miles.

How much, how soon? Don’t be fooled by those “under $25,000” claims. The M.S.R.P. is close to $33,000, including destination charges; Chevy is helping you do the math in the event you meet qualifications for a $7,500 government tax credit by buying an E.V. On sale next year in California and Korea, as the company previously announced; Chevy also says it will be available in Oregon, Canada and other global markets.

Our take: A gas-powered Spark is a reasonable choice if your child at college needs budget transportation; it seems to make little sense to spend nearly twice as much for a version of the same car — that can do less.

80 miles is a good range for the Chevy Spark but the weather and street conditions should also be taken into considerations if you don't wanna' end up having to call road service.

Jimmy said:
80 miles is a good range for the Chevy Spark but the weather and street conditions should also be taken into considerations if you don't wanna' end up having to call road service.
That's so ture. It sucks to call road services. Its a good thing that Chevy Spark Ev owners wont have to worry about that.

sparks said:
Jimmy said:
That's so ture. It sucks to call road services. Its a good thing that Chevy Spark Ev owners wont have to worry about that.

Well I would agree to some extent, but 80 miles Is not enough by a margin. If you are careful in how you drive your Chevy Spark I'm sure you can go without ever calling road service but for the EV technology to take off there will have to be more 300, 400 mile range cars with electrical charges everywhere you go with your EV.

80 miles is´nt really that far when you consider all the errands some people have to run everyday.

bob4020 said:
80 miles is´nt really that far when you consider all the errands some people have to run everyday.

thumb-audi-r8-img03.jpg

Probably, but that is why Chevy Spark has gas in the tank.

bob4020 said:

Why did you change the pic and what is that pic? :shock:

I'm pretty sure it's not a Chevy Spark

Jimmy said:
bob4020 said:

Why did you change the pic and what is that pic? :shock:

I'm pretty sure it's not a Chevy Spark

LOL just noticed that.

What is that? can't be Chevy Spark.

Jimmy said:
It looks like a Passat or a Pheyton to me...

Hahaha way of, a simple click of the mouse reveals that it's a used, and crashed, Lamborghini Aventador Rival.

Ouch that had to hurt the owner

McHale said:
Jimmy said:
It looks like a Passat or a Pheyton to me...

Hahaha way of, a simple click of the mouse reveals that it's a used, and crashed, Lamborghini Aventador Rival.

Ouch that had to hurt the owner

Holy cow!!!

I always kind of enjoy this stuff, mostly because I know nobody was injured(these kind of cars have a near indestructible cabin) and it sets the record straight in most cases.

I did have the test drive of Spark EV 2LT. I am very impressed with the acceleration. Almost bought the car but could not confirm the availability of Fast DC quick charge port on the car so I had to back out from the deal. If I get the firm answer on the availability of Fast DC quick charge port on the car, I will defiantly buy/lease this car.

evfreak143 said:
I did have the test drive of Spark EV 2LT. I am very impressed with the acceleration. Almost bought the car but could not confirm the availability of Fast DC quick charge port on the car so I had to back out from the deal. If I get the firm answer on the availability of Fast DC quick charge port on the car, I will defiantly buy/lease this car.
What dealer did you test drive the car at evfreak143? The salesman couldn't tell you whether or not the car had the fast charge port?

I'll bet that car is sold already, with the amount of people itching to get one of these cars.

evfreak143 said:
I'm interested in how regen is implemented. Did you try using L or Sport mode?

As of tonight the car was available in bay area. Salesman including the manager of the dealership could not tell us about the fast DC charging. After that we call the chevy customer support and did not get the answer from them as well. Due to this reason, I end up not going with the car. But it seems like from the various articles, fast charging port won't be available during the introduction period of spark ev (Not sure about this though). It may be available on 2LT as an add on option later this year. Unfortunately, car can not be retrofitted with updated port. It needs to be installed prior to purchasing. But by all means, one of the best driving experience among all EVs. I wish they had fast charging available as an option right now. I would have get the car without giving second thought.

evfreak143 said:
As of tonight the car was available in bay area. Salesman including the manager of the dealership could not tell us about the fast DC charging. After that we call the chevy customer support and did not get the answer from them as well. Due to this reason, I end up not going with the car. But it seems like from the various articles, fast charging port won't be available during the introduction period of spark ev (Not sure about this though). It may be available on 2LT as an add on option later this year. Unfortunately, car can not be retrofitted with updated port. It needs to be installed prior to purchasing. But by all means, one of the best driving experience among all EVs. I wish they had fast charging available as an option right now. I would have get the car without giving second thought.

That really is too bad, I don't blame you for not going with the Spark without the fast charging because it really is the biggest advantage that this Chevy has

Back