2014 Sparky replacement battery cost

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evboy

I called a dealership in Cali. The parts dept said it cost 15k to replace the battery. I remember reading on this site 35k. Has the price dropped that much or were they mistaken. The parts guy said they have to make a replacement battery for up to 10 years. that gets me to 2024. at that point I can buy a new battery no matter if I need it because it will probably be the last chance to buy one. also, the price should be alot cheaper than 15k in 2024.

evboy said:
....The parts dept said it cost 15k to replace the battery....for up to 10 years. that gets me to 2024. ....
Really?!? That is planning ahead,,,,,
Only by then we'll have Star Trek Transporters !

Or at least everyone will be forced to use a self-driving car, because we can't be trusted to not do dumb stuff on the roads.

I was quoted $35K for 2015 SparkEV battery in SoCal about 6 months ago. Incredulous, I asked the service manager to check again since that's $10K more than the new car, and she confirmed the price. Core could reduce the price and maybe she included the labor, but neither should be cheaper by $20K. I don't know if there are other conditions to get it for $15K or it varies by dealer.

Aren't the cells in the 2015/2016 Spark EV the same ones as in the 2016 Chevy Volt battery pack? I think the replacement cost for the Volt pack is < $4000? If this is the case couldn't you get a Volt pack and just swap the cells for far less than the cost of a Spark pack? Apparently Chevy is getting LG Chem cells for only $145 per KWh so a 19 KWh pack costs $ 2755 for just the cells.

http://insideevs.com/gm-chevrolet-bolt-for-2016-145kwh-cell-cost-volt-margin-improves-3500/

Volt cells to rebuild SparkEV might be possible, but I have no idea of the cells are exactly the same or not. Different dimensions might make it tough to fit in the housing. It will take someone to actually pull them out and compare.

This articles seems to imply a common cell is/was used in the 2015/2016 Spark EV, Chevrolet Volt, Opel/Vauxhall Ampera, and Cadillac ELR. If that's the case ebay/junk yard Chevy Volt battery pack modules could be a very cheap source of cells?

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1092094_2015-chevrolet-spark-ev-switches-battery-cells-82-mile-range-remains

Crash victim modules seem to be reasonably available on Ebay at present.

SparkevBlogspot said:
Volt cells to rebuild SparkEV might be possible, but I have no idea of the cells are exactly the same or not. Different dimensions might make it tough to fit in the housing. It will take someone to actually pull them out and compare.

I was just surfing around and found this page

http://www.a123systems.com/products-systems-energy-core-pack.htm

where a123 offers a fully self contained 393 volt, 23 kwh battery with BMS/ thermal management system, that seems quite similar to the 2014 Spark EVs battery pack.

There aren't many SparkEV's around, so relying on those crash victims might be tough. There are more Volt's around, so if the cells are same dimensions, one could theoretically rebuild using those crash victims. That still takes lots of efforts.

As for A123 pack, again, if the cells are the same dimensions, it might be possible to rebuild 2014. But I doubt the pack itself is the same dimension as SparkEV. That's really a lot of work.

SparkevBlogspot said:
.... it might be possible to rebuild 2014. But I doubt the pack itself is the same dimension as SparkEV. ...
This is a good question for you forward thinkers.
It is possible that only the internals are different on '14 vs '15-'16 packs.
It could be a bolt-in swap, with the same external electrical and coolant connections, to put a late model pack in a '14.

But I doubt that internally repopulating the '14 pack with the later model cells would be an option.
However, the '14 has the same 'simple' Thermal Plate that all the cells just sit on, the way it is done in the Bolt. Now there's some possibilities !

Does the service manual, (that some members have) address this 'far off' subject? It wold be interesting to see diagrams of what is going on within both types of battery packs.

" However, the '14 has the same 'simple' Thermal Plate that all the cells just sit on, the way it is done in the Bolt. "

I heard it was the opposite.
The '14 has the cooling jackets between the cells and the '15 & '16 have the plates, like the Bolt.
If the 15 and 16 are made by LG like the Bolt, would they not have same design?
Anybody got some proof?
Cuz I don't.

Back