2015 Spark Decreased Range Already!

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevon

When I bought my 2015 Spark it showed 82 miles range fully charged. Since I've owned this car the GOM showed most I could charge was 73 when fully charged. Today charging over night (L2 @ 10+ hours) the max range shows 66 on GOM. Question is range decreasing this fast normal or do I have a potential problem?

The variable with the greatest impact on mileage is the driver.

The computer is looking at your previous rate of energy consumption (miles per kw) to estimate your future energy efficiency.

If you regularly drive fast on the highway or driving aggressively one would expect to see decreased range after full charge. It is trying to guess range based on how you have driven...

So my guess is the problem here is with your right foot.... :D

Look at your energy display for history. What does it tell you?

Jeff

I concur with OregonSparky. Refer to pages 5-10 (Battery Gauge-High Voltage) and 1-22 (Driving for Better Eneregy Efficiency) in the owner's manual for a 2015 Spark EV. I originally thought a couple of DCFC charging sessions for my 2015 Spark EV 2LT were the reason my range jumped. However, as I drove more conservatively, I noticed the number continued to increase. It was 104 this morning.

This week I bought a used 2014 Spark EV 2LT in factory-fresh perfect condition. It only had 1500 miles on it. The dealer said it was fully charged when I drove off but the number on the "guess-o-meter" only read 77. I drove the car 63 miles to my home and put it on my L2 charger. The next morning it was fully charged and read 90. The car was a previous Hertz rental and, from my OnStar data, looks like it was driven carefully but hard - mpge was 97. My mpge after the first full charge at my home was 160 which is also close to what my 2015 Spark EV is currently showing.

8/18/2015: Recharged the 2014 Spark EV last night after 68 miles of use and it read 94 miles after I took it off of the charger this AM - that is up from 77 when I first picked up the car at the dealer last week.

oregonsparky,
I do drive it spirited, that's the fun thing about this car! (replaced my Acura sports car)Energy information history shows my usage under the 3 kwh average. I drive mostly city with some highway. my 4 mile commute to work is mostly uphill. I actually gain mileage range going home ( + 2 mi). I'll just have to get it checked when it goes in for scheduled maintenance. Missing my NSX now that it's sold. what I don't miss is the weekly gasoline bill!

Stephen

oregonsparky said:
The variable with the greatest impact on mileage is the driver.

The computer is looking at your previous rate of energy consumption (miles per kw) to estimate your future energy efficiency.

If you regularly drive fast on the highway or driving aggressively one would expect to see decreased range after full charge. It is trying to guess range based on how you have driven...

So my guess is the problem here is with your right foot.... :D

Look at your energy display for history. What does it tell you?

Jeff

So you're getting less than 3 miles/kwh. That's the issue. You're having too much fun. :lol: While the Spark can be a leadfoot's dream, that dream comes at a price and that price is range. Think back to the days of the dual quad big V8 muscle car. 409 anyone? Lots of fun but flooring the accelerator was like flushing the toilet. You could almost see the gas gauge drop when you punched it. Lighten up, no matter what anybody tells you it's not a sports car.

Now having given you the lecture, I must admit that I can't resist that burst of speed now and again. :twisted:

EMV,

Thanks for the info, today I used the cruise control instead of manual and used less power it seems. No 104 kw spikes were noticed while on the highway! The Spark isn't a sports car, the goofy handling with high sidewall tires will show you that!

Stephen

emv said:
So you're getting less than 3 miles/kwh. That's the issue. You're having too much fun. :lol: While the Spark can be a leadfoot's dream, that dream comes at a price and that price is range. Think back to the days of the dual quad big V8 muscle car. 409 anyone? Lots of fun but flooring the accelerator was like flushing the toilet. You could almost see the gas gauge drop when you punched it. Lighten up, no matter what anybody tells you it's not a sports car.

Now having given you the lecture, I must admit that I can't resist that burst of speed now and again. :twisted:

emv said:
... Lighten up, no matter what anybody tells you it's not a sports car. ...
Yeah, so you can literally save pennies on your commute ! ????

Fun has its costs, unless you charge for free !!
I have stickier tires on mine = more fun!
And next year I may get wider wheels and bigger, stickier tires and go Cooper S hunting, just like I was driving a sports car!

NORTON,
I do charge for free now sort of. Cost so far has been 2 mile walks home and a bout with poison ivy!
NORTON said:
emv said:
... Lighten up, no matter what anybody tells you it's not a sports car. ...
Yeah, so you can literally save pennies on your commute ! ????

Fun has its costs, unless you charge for free !!
I have stickier tires on mine = more fun!
And next year I may get wider wheels and bigger, stickier tires and go Cooper S hunting, just like I was driving a sports car!

stevon said:
NORTON,
I do charge for free now sort of. Cost so far has been 2 mile walks home and a bout with poison ivy!
stevon,
That's great! So you don't have to pinch those pennies, as suggested.
You can save them up for a Folding E-Bike !!!
Have you bought that one yet? I want to hear about it! You got me thinking....

I tried this weekend to put my Mtn bike in the back of mine with the back seats down and the passenger seat all the way tilted and forward.
It doesn't fit with the front wheel off. It would fit with both wheels off, but I lost interest at that point..
I don't want to hang my bike rack with the top straps touching the paint and pulling the plastic 'wing' down.
I'm going to build pvc supports that guide the top straps above the 'wing'. I'll post pics when I have it working.

The other thing that can decrease range is extreme temps - besides air conditioning the cabin, "battery conditioning" to keep the battery at a 'good temp' can require energy and reduce range and range estimates...

And an old saying comes to mind relative to our lead foot friend here - "you have to pay to play!" :)

jeff

Bike arrived Friday,
The only damage was the battery top got smashed in shipment. It's a puzzle because bike was well packed with battery inside of the frame.
CEMOTO-1sm.jpg

Damaged-Battery-sm.jpg

the obligatory "cat scan" of the situation
Cat-Scan-sm.jpg

stevon said:
sparqi,
Should be here by Friday! Can't wait, but will it fit in the Spark?

stevon,

I tried this weekend to put my Mtn bike in the back of mine with the back seats down and the passenger seat all the way tilted and forward.
It doesn't fit with the front wheel off. It would fit with both wheels off, but I lost interest at that point..
I don't want to hang my bike rack with the top straps touching the paint and pulling the plastic 'wing' down.
I'm going to build pvc supports that guide the top straps above the 'wing'. I'll post pics when I have it working.[/quote]

NORTON,
Fortunately folded this bike does fit! You sacrifice 1 passenger spot though. Tried out the bike after charging the battery 4 hours. The bike is a little small for me, I'm 5'11". 27 inch tires and frame would have been perfect but that might not fit in the car. The shocks are "air" meaning no oil dampening lust a little air resistance but that is easily remedied with a shock from eBay. The ride is a little too soft/comfortable to be a serious mountain bike. There are two modes of power, throttle and power assist when you pedal. I do need to add pedal power to make it up the long hill, just using electric motor alone won't cut it (stalls). Bike will do 20 mph on flat areas without pedaling and more with. The seven speeds seem adequate for commuter travel, shifting is smooth with the Shimano components. The brakes were weak at first but have bedded in and grab quite nicely now. fits in the Spark even with the generator bolted in. Had 1/2 of the rear seats folded down
bike-001.jpg

bike-002-sm.jpg

NORTON said:
stevon,

I'm going to build pvc supports that guide the top straps above the 'wing'. I'll post pics when I have it working.

emv,
I reset the history log in the car, drove more conservatively (5 miles per KW average) and charged last night at free location. When I picked up the car it read full 72 miles range. So you were right about "hot rodding" effecting GOM range shown, thanks!
Stephen
emv said:

Update. Driving more conservatively with the most power used 4.1 kwh per mile. The GOM has gone up after a full charge. Now reads 77 miles after full L2 charge. there are traffic lights, a few hills and highway merges in my daily driving. It's really hard not to let her rip and take off screaming when getting on the highway :)

Back