another Blue 1LT

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExtensionCord

I grabbed up a Blue 1LT (without quick charge) over the weekend on the lease deal, seems like they are moving real fast at the moment! The dealer had 40+ sparkEV's a month ago, they've got 5 now. Anyway, I'll be hanging around here and probably asking questions. I'm an experienced EVer (I've driven a self converted 95 Saturn for the last 3 years) but am new to production EV's and the Spark.

So far after one day, my only complaint is the key! The switchblade pops open in my pocket... silly design.

ok, day 2. A few more complaints, lol.

1. What's the point of push button starting if you still need the key fob to lock/unlock the doors? What the hell do I do with the key when I get in the car now? I'm sure I'll get used to it.

2. That blind spot! I have not had a blind spot this large in a long time. I seriously almost hit a prius today when merging.

3. I set off the alarm when I unplugged the charger. I now know I need to unlock the car first, then pull the cord. Not an issue on either my old EV (no alarm) or my wife's plug in Fusion. It's gonna take me a while to break that habit, I apologize in advance to my neighbors for the early AM wake up calls that will inevitably come in the following days...

On the plus side, this car is everything I tried to build with my Saturn (and came up pretty short). Power (yes!), range, and even air conditioning! I'm loving this little car.

Congrats on the EB 1LT!

My brother was here yesterday to borrow my spare 240V EVSE for his wife's new commuter car, a blue 1LT, with the fast charge option, just like mine. Now we will have twins at get togethers...

BTW, the alarm can be disabled in the setup menu, as well as the honk that signals being plugged in, both are off on mine.

Congrats on your purchase. I think you'll come to love the car but it definitely does have some quirks

1. The key is pretty pointless. They went with that design just because that's what they use for all their new cars now. Cost savings. One of my biggest gripes is that they didn't make a wireless key (I know, I know, they draw extra power) but still if Nissan can put one on their cheapest versa where you push a button on the door and it senses the key then unlocks then Chevy should have figured something else. I usually keep the key in my pocket, in the little area on the door, or in the nearest cupholder.

2. The frame of the car definitely obscures the view. I think the worst are the rear pillars when backing up it's nearly impossible to see what's to the right/angled behind you. I think the blind spots on the side can be fixed by moving the mirrors out. Since the Spark is so small you should adjust the mirrors so that you can't see any of the body, and then go out a little more.

3. Check out all the options. There are so many alerts and sounds that are ridiculous with this car, but many of them can be disabled through the car's setting menu.

thanks guys, I spent some quality time with the manual yesterday and got all the beeps that I could turn off turned off. Regarding the key, my wife's Ford Fusion has a thing where you touch the door handle with your finger and the doors lock/unlock (as long as the key fob is on your person). Super cool, you never need the key out of your pocket/bag at all.

So far in 120 miles the computer says I'm averaging 4.4 mi/kWh (with a bit of climate control, but mostly it's off) which works out to 230 Wh/mi (which is the units I'm used to thinking in). My Saturn averaged 280 Wh/mi with no climate control, so the Spark is definitely more efficient! They weigh almost the same, but I had no regen on the Saturn. And it was a 20 year old chassis...

I'm wanting to do my first mod. The door lock/unlock post (for lack of a better name) on the drivers door is right where I want to rest my arm! And as far as I can tell, it is useless. Is there ever a time one would need to manually use the lock/unlock post thing on the door? I tried to unscrew it, but it wouldn't budge. I may force it and see what happens, or maybe dremmel it off flush with the door panel.

Fixd the painful door lock actuator thingy! I wrapped a rubber band around the post to get a better grip, and it screwed right off. Local auto parts store had a few skull and dice shaped actuators (really?), but nothing simple and smooth. So I bought a vacuum cap. A whole variety pack actually, since that's the only way I could get the one I needed. Cost: $2.50. Took the smallest cap and screwed it on the thread until it was just flush when locked, and done!

unlocked:
20150429_112202.jpg

and locked:
20150429_112213.jpg

Much better! I can now cruise window down/arm out without pain. :D the stock one is now in a ziplock in the glovebox.

That is a fantastic tip and a great solution. I just put a vacuum cap assortment in my cart at Amazon. Thanks.

I love driving with all 4 windows open so I can not hear my car.

I was actually thinking of getting a Blue 1LT. Then after I saw it at the dealer, I changed my mind really fast. Ended with a Silver 2LT

I was actually thinking of getting a Blue 1LT. Then after I saw it at the dealer, I changed my mind really fast. Ended with a Silver 2LT
Actually, I went the other way. I was going to get silver or white. Saw the my Blue 1LT at the dealer; it was such a breath of fresh air, I bought it. I get so many compliments on the color!

I went to the lot pretty set on black. My last two cars were black. But I made the mistake of going with my kids, and my 11yo daughter talked me into blue, lol. I like it, the metallic looks nice and it's definitely a bit different. My 13yo daughter just rolled her eyes the whole time and thought we should buy a Suburban...

Back