Batteries VS Fuel

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
buickanddeere said:
StevesWeb said:
Whether superior batteries are about to be invented or not is moot as far as I'm concerned. I bought the car I identified as least likely to harm my favorite planet, and your opinion of the technology it uses has no effect on the car I bought.
I have a giant lithium battery, it works. It has a warranty.

Of course it works and has warranty. The design and manufacture is not on the ragged edge of possibilities :ugeek: . Just don't be expecting Star Trek tech until if or when somebody can harness the Higgs Bosom particles and its ilk.
As for saving your favourite planet, oh please..... :roll: Go plug a belching volcano,talk to the termites about their methane production and feed beano to cows :lol: . The tiny Minuscule bit of difference an electric vehicle makes as it's being charged from a fossil plant is mute. Still mute if charged via a wind turbine and PV panels.
The gain of an electric car is the low fuel cost and it's a great pickup line with ladies ;) . As for the ecological self righteous waving their flag for attention and status above the ignorant polluting peasants. I know just the place for your flag :twisted: .
I'm just looking to cut $200 a week off the fuel bill from the household driving once the 2015 EV is on the market here. The warm fuzzy feeling and good intentions doesn't over come the laws of physics.
I already alluded earlier here and on other posts days ago. Of how a change in thinking :idea: is required in energy storage. Something different , at least as different as the horse is from the 57 Chevy is required. Your "everything was invented by 1900" is a line of silliness that I never said, believed or implied.

That's the problem isn't it...a miniscule amount multiplied by millions isn't so miniscule anymore. But it definitely does make people who like to pass on their responsibilities off to someone else feel better that's for sure....particularly the self-righteous who bury their heads in the sand all the time. ;)

The difference is that with EV's, you have a choice on how to charge your vehicle. And as alternative energy plants proliferate, so improves the clean factor for using EV's. The change is coming but you don't seem to see it. There is no need to break the laws of physics...just straightforward acceptance of how quickly things are changing and how outdated some mentalities have become.

TonyWilliams said:
gra said:
Obviously, there are lots of labs and scientists who disagree that "we have passed the point of of economical improvements in batteries."
Reminds me of a common quip, circa 1900:

"All the things that could be invented have been invented."
From about the same time, said to Hiram Maxim IIRR, possibly by Albert Pope but I forget:

When talking about why BEVs were superior to ICEs, "You can't get people to sit on top of explosions," or words to that effect.

And there were lots of EV enthusiasts from the same era who blustered til they were blue in the face that an automobile didn't need enough range or infrastructure to tour outside of cities, that BEVs had all the range that anyone really needed, and that anybody who opted for an ICE because of its range and ability to tour was an idiot. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

To be clear all I know about battery tech is what I learned here and in common media. What makes a battery? Does it have to be a chemical reaction creating electricity? Or is it energy storage? Super capacitor, compressed gas, hydrogen? So the limits of lithium batteries are near but what about other forms of energy storage? Currently there is no infrastructer for hydrogen, but what if you use your solar roof to separate hydrogen and compress it at home. I believe with current tech hydogen can have pretty good range. Then if there was some infrastructer to refuel when greater range was needed. So more a question than I am right and you are wrong. Will the next big step be chemical energy storage or another way?

supcrds said:
To be clear all I know about battery tech is what I learned here and in common media. What makes a battery? Does it have to be a chemical reaction creating electricity? Or is it energy storage? Super capacitor, compressed gas, hydrogen? So the limits of lithium batteries are near but what about other forms of energy storage? Currently there is no infrastructer for hydrogen, but what if you use your solar roof to separate hydrogen and compress it at home. I believe with current tech hydogen can have pretty good range. Then if there was some infrastructer to refuel when greater range was needed. So more a question than I am right and you are wrong. Will the next big step be chemical energy storage or another way?

The next big step in chemical energy storage? That would be gasoline or diesel made from coal.
A possibility would be methanol made from nuclear manufactured steam and run over a catylist with natural gas.
Or collect atmospheric CO2, split the carbon off and combine with nuclear created hydrogen . Expensive fuel however.
Pure H2 is fuel ? How are you going to store the stuff? Cryogenic, compressed in a carbon fiber cylinder or as a low pressure metal hydride ?
Are you familiar with how ordinary large air molecules seep right through bycycle inner tubes? Consider the little bitty H2 molecule inside a metal tank under pressure. H2 penetrates the material and makes the metal brittle.

Back