Best home charger that ISN'T a Bosch

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puzzle1001

I have had the WORST problems with Bosch. I ordered my home charger from them 15 days ago and I never even received a promised (in writing) email invoice from them. I sent two emails to ask what was going on and was ignored. I called to find out the charger hasn't even been shipped yet. The saleswoman was INCREDIBLY rude and told me she was sorry but the department that handles the shipping (the representative that originally handled my order has no voice mail connected to the system by the way) was closed. She blew me off with the attitude that it wasn't her problem. So I asked her to cancel my order and she said she couldn't do that. I'd have to call back and speak to the people who have been ignoring my emails for 2 weeks.

Why the hell should I give them any of my $ when the DWP is going to rebate the $ for whichever charger I chose??! I want NOTHING to do with Bosch so I was wondering if anyone owns a different charger they are happy with? I have had my car 2 weeks and can not charge it efficiently because Bosch is a terrible waste of space company who doesn't actually sell or ship their products.

Sorry for the venting ;)

Mercy, that is terrible service! There are plenty of chargers around. I have a DIY home-built from eMotorwerks.com. They sell fully assembled units. Clipper Creek is a company in Calif, and lots of people like their chargers. TurboCord is a nice dual-voltage unit.

This guy builds OpenEVSE kits and sells them.

You will get your $750 DWP rebate on top of the $500 that Bosch give you.
Me and others also had a very bad experience with them, especially CSR "V", who would not return calls or answer emails.
I think you just need to be persistent and keep on bothering them every other day.
Took me about 2 weeks and 5 calls, but eventually got my Charger. Total charged was $113.xx for the 30A 18 ft.
Sometimes, for the sake of saving a few bucks, you just need to deal with it.

OP, is looking for an EVSE, NOT a charger. For L1 and L2 AC charging, charger is onboard the car. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14728&p=332668#p332668.
SteveC5088 said:
There are plenty of chargers around. I have a DIY home-built from eMotorwerks.com. They sell fully assembled units. Clipper Creek is a company in Calif, and lots of people like their chargers. TurboCord is a nice dual-voltage unit.
Clipper Creek is very well regarded. Aerovironment seems pretty solid (they make the TurboCord + some other older 30 amp L2 units). Some folks elsewhere seem to like EVSEs some Siemens.

Leviton should be ok, but it seems they can be hit or miss.

puzzle1001 said:
I want NOTHING to do with Bosch so I was wondering if anyone owns a different charger they are happy with?
I have a Siemens Versa-Charge that I use every day without fail. Here's what I like about it:
  • Black Colored, so it blends into the foliage on the side of my garage
  • Hard-wired, for code-compliance in 2013.\ (Code may now allow outdoor plug-fed installs, it didn't in 2013)
  • Water-resistance includes resistance to splashes, so my gardener can water the surrounding bushes with the hose without worrying about the EVSE
  • Easily available from Amazon
  • Nice long cable

Current Plug-Fed version: http://amzn.to/1S8i6uM
The older model I bought: http://amzn.to/1HqCHVb

Thanks for your suggestions! I hope I was using the correct language. I meant the home level 2 charging station (I think) ;)

I have an old EVI DS-50 that I upgraded from the old Ford Ranger paddle connector to a J1772 connector. All in buying everything on Ebay a few years ago it cost $200. :D All of these EVSE's are basically big relays with a little logic. Totally overpriced for what they are, imo.

If I were buying new now, I'd probably go with the emotorwerks one. I've had some dealings with them on other products and while sometimes sketchy on the whole customer service thing, they are good guys who make good stuff at a decent price.

KingUltra said:
You will get your $750 DWP rebate on top of the $500 that Bosch give you.
Me and others also had a very bad experience with them, especially CSR "V", who would not return calls or answer emails.
I think you just need to be persistent and keep on bothering them every other day.
Took me about 2 weeks and 5 calls, but eventually got my Charger. Total charged was $113.xx for the 30A 18 ft.
Sometimes, for the sake of saving a few bucks, you just need to deal with it.

KingUltra, I'm about to finish up the paperwork for the DWP rebate (Bosch wound up shipping the charger right after I posted my "rant" about them!! hahaaha). The inspector is coming on Tuesday to sign off on the permit. My invoice from Bosch shows the $500 instant rebate for a grand total of $277.17

But you're saying I can still get the full $750 rebate?

puzzle1001 said:
KingUltra, I'm about to finish up the paperwork for the DWP rebate (Bosch wound up shipping the charger right after I posted my "rant" about them!! hahaaha). The inspector is coming on Tuesday to sign off on the permit. My invoice from Bosch shows the $500 instant rebate for a grand total of $277.17

But you're saying I can still get the full $750 rebate?

Sorry about the the bad info. When I first looked at it, I didn't realize it was up to $750 for the out of pocket cost of the Charging station. I believed it was for the Installation.

motodirthead said:
I am new to all of this. I am aware of the $500 credit with Bosch, but what is the "DWP" rebate?

Likely the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (q.v.)

Various locales have rebate programs for home chargers. For example, here in Oregon there is a 25% tax credit.

Back