Cen-Tech scan tool

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigger19687

Probably a dumb ?.... Can you use these scan tools to scan for codes on Electric cars ?

I am about to buy one for my Diesel Truck, and thought "wait, should I even bother ? will it work on the Electric car ?"

So, will these scan tools still work for Electric vehicles or just the Gas models ?
I didn't know if the Computer in the car was completely different and not be able to read codes and I would need to get a special one

Thanks

You didn't say specifically what tester you want to purchase and what functions you want to perform. The Spark EV has a standard "OBD II" connector and meets all regulatory requirements, but the information required/provided might not be what you think you'll get. Generally speaking, since this diagnostic connector has long been required for emissions equipment relevant information, there is drastically less standardized information available for the Spark EV than there would be for a modern diesel because the Spark EV doesn't have these emissions controls. Some things will be standardized and common with ICE vehicles, such as vehicle speed.

Scanning for "codes" will be almost pointless on the Spark EV. Any fault codes related to the high voltage powertrain would not have any codes output to a typical, cheap code scanner. Anything related to the braking, safety, body control, etc. systems is not on a standardized code system like the OBD requirements, so typical cheap code scanners are also pointless for these functions on any vehicle.

If you're trying to hedge your bets, you're best off purchasing a well supported USB-based system with a laptop/tablet interface. These are the most likely to have regular updates and advanced features available in the present and in the future.

Bryce

I was not looking at the el cheapo stuff but didn't want to spend $$$ either. It would have to be able to update interface with the computer, clear codes and so on.

Thanks for the info, that is an answer that I was wondering.

I wonder if they will make something in the future for Electric cars and the codes that go with them for Public use.

Back