Chevy Bolt owners?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evboy

Has anyone here bought or test driven a Bolt? How was it compared to the sparke

I test drove it in Dec. Bolt is whole lot better. If Bolt cost the same as SparkEV, there's no question I'd take Bolt. Even if Bolt cost $2K more than SparkEV, I'd take Bolt. But it's definitely not worth $12K more, especially considering it can't tow a trailer. If it could tow a trailer, I'd pay $5K more than SparkEV.

The reason is that SparkEV meets practically all of my needs, thanks to DCFC. Longer range is nice, but it doesn't really add much value since I have a van to carry cargo for long distance. Bolt is still limited in range due to lack of DCFC infrastructure. Acceleration is nice, and 5 seater is nice, so that's why $2K as if those are options on SparkEV.

Yeah, I don't think I'd pay an extra $12-20K for the additional range (it is occasionally possible in certain areas to get a new LEAF for around $20K). As the lease for my Spark EV approaches end, I am currently waffling between :

- looking for a new LEAF around $20-25K (before tax rebate) - if I can find one, I might buy
- getting used LEAF around $6-$8K (low mile 3-year-old LEAFs are currently at those prices near S.F.)
- getting a used Spark EV for $8K (if possible) - hopefully mine
- getting a Hyundai Ioniq (but I'll probably wait and see what used prices are like in 2-4 years)

The Ioniq has a plug-in hybrid that get over 30mi on pure electric. That vehicle, if it is a nice car, could be the replacement for my old ICE when it dies. A pure electric (Spark) for the 30-80 mile trips, then using the PHEV for the 'around town' drives of under 30 miles daily round-trip, AND the longer 100+ mile trips. (We are a 2-car family - so complementary cars for the wife and me.)

The Ioniq BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle) has a range of 124 miles, which almost doubles the 'no worry' travel distance for *ME*, compared to the Spark (I start to worry if I am away from home and have under 20-25 mi remaining: so 82-25=57, and 124-25=99). A 124-mi range would make over 90% of *our* (both of us) daily drives with no needed charge on the road at all, and well over half of the remainder could be handled with a 5 minute 'sanity charge' at a DCFC. A single 20-min charge would handle all but 1-2% of the trips either one of us takes. BUT STILL - I'd like to wait a year or two to see how the car (and its batteries) handles its aging.

I'd really been anticipating the Bolt and my lease was coming to term so when a local dealer got some in I was down for a test drive right away. My pen was in hand. my checkbook in back pocket, and I was just itching to use them to make a down payment.

In many ways it's a Spark but more so. More power, much more range, better ride, appeared to handle a bit better. The accoutrements were a little chintzy for the price, but the range made up for it. But the seats, oh the seats, they were the worst I've ever sat in. The bolsters on the bottom aren't thick enough to shield either me or Mrs EMV from the plastic seat pan which cut right in to our thighs - particularly on the passenger side. I didn't expect seats out of a French car but I had hoped for ones at least as good as in the Spark.

End result, called US Bank and got the lease buyout figure. $9300 including all fees, much less than the residual indicated in the original contract. Now I own my Spark with 31K miles. I still would like more range and DCFC, but I love the Spark and I figure if I'm going to pay 40K (before tax credits) it better have decent seats.

I got to talk to a couple with a Bolt and a Volt while at a fast charger in Menifee, CA (took a picture of their Bolt, my Spark EV and their Volt all parked side by side). Really nice car that they loved but I have zero interest in paying for that additional 40kWh of battery when my Spark meets 100% of my driving needs that the Bolt could also meet.

Hauling around an extra $16k of batteries doesn't make sense for me. It adds a lot of weight which reduces efficiency.

So my next EV after my Spark lease is up in June is likely to be a used Spark EV.

the bolt will be a great buy in 3 years after it depreciates.if u can buy one for 12k in 3 years thats a steal. i will keep my sparke until it dies.

Back