Fast charging

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyfan

The 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV uses a version of the Volt’s on-board charger. However, the Spark EV is the first to (optionally) offer the new SAE Combo DC Fast Charge protocol. GM says that the DC Fast Charge will juice the Spark’s battery pack to 80% capacity in only 20 minutes.

Such “fast charging” could potentially wear out the battery more quickly, but GM says it’s designed to take it; battery cooling is one of the design features that helps in this regard.

A 240V outlet in your home will charge the Spark EV in less than seven hours.
Read more in Spark EV forum.

It has to be the fastest charging time ever! I never heard of car that could charge in less time than Chevy Spark EV. Has anyone in the forum heard about such a car?

Any vehicle equipped for fast charging at 400-500 volts can have quick charge times like that. I believe the Tesla cars have the quick charge capability. Of course, it is definitely handy to have in a cheaper car like the Chevy Spark EV.

The Spark won't likely charge on DC power at a faster rate than the LEAF at 48kW. I know this doesn't quite line up with the hype of the SAE Conbo "Frankenplug", and we clearly won't know until the cars and the chargers arrive.

Currently, there is one public Frankenplug charger in the USA, in Arizona. There are over 2500 CHAdeMO DC chargers in the world as of spring 2013 (used on Nissan LEAF, Mitsubishi iMiev and Outback, Zero motorcycle and Infiniti.

This is a great feature for Chevy Spark and even though it probably won't be available everywhere it is a very promising technology for the future, I mean if the progress of technology continues at this speed I'm sure that in just 5 years cars will be fully rechargable in 5-10 minutes and when that happens it will probably be the definitive end of gasoline cars because you won't be able find an advantage of owning a gasoline car.

Jimmy said:
This is a great feature for Chevy Spark and even though it probably won't be available everywhere it is a very promising technology for the future, I mean if the progress of technology continues at this speed I'm sure that in just 5 years cars will be fully rechargable in 5-10 minutes and when that happens it will probably be the definitive end of gasoline cars because you won't be able find an advantage of owning a gasoline car.

THat is a very optimistic outlook you have there, I mean I hope it comes through but I seriously doubt it because 5 years is a small time frame and unless a new gen Li-on battery appears or graphene is put to use.

What would be really way very kewl would be for Chevrolet to bid on the defunct Blink network and upgrade all those already established charging units to provide flash charge capability!

Then, Just think if micky D's were to set up a flash charger everywhere. I know I'd stop in for a happy meal while my ev also recharges.

I remember back in the mid '90's when the EV1 was not yet ready for prime time, but none-the-less available to those few in the area who could afford the $600/month lease, yet it was our local Wal-Mart of all places that proudly displayed the "EV Only" sign in front of their charging station. It was even free! I mean if I could afford $600 / month lease, Nordstrom's seems more likely where I'd be shopping, but then they didn't have a charger.

Anyway with the likes of the affordable Spark and an oil man no longer in the White House, we are most certainly now driving our way into to the future just as was being done 100 years ago with early gas powered cars.

CarlinOC said:
What would be really way very kewl would be for Chevrolet to bid on the defunct Blink network and upgrade all those already established charging units to provide flash charge capability!

Then, Just think if micky D's were to set up a flash charger everywhere. I know I'd stop in for a happy meal while my ev also recharges.

I remember back in the mid '90's when the EV1 was not yet ready for prime time, but none-the-less available to those few in the area who could afford the $600/month lease, yet it was our local Wal-Mart of all places that proudly displayed the "EV Only" sign in front of their charging station. It was even free! I mean if I could afford $600 / month lease, Nordstrom's seems more likely where I'd be shopping, but then they didn't have a charger.

Anyway with the likes of the affordable Spark and an oil man no longer in the White House, we are most certainly now driving our way into to the future just as was being done 100 years ago with early gas powered cars.

I had the opportunity to take an EV-1 on a 10 mile test drive several years ago, courtesy of the salesman who sold me a Saturn. It wasn't the most beautiful car in the world, but driving it was one of the most amazing experiences I have had in my 50 years behind the wheel. It may not have been ready for "prime time" as far as the "suits" at GM and the oil companies were concerned, but it was in no way because of the car itself. If you haven't seen the documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car?" I recommed you pull it up on Google and watch it. But take a sedative first because it is likely to make you madder than hell.

Back