First EV with Combo Cord

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyfan

Found and article on Chevy Spark EV and thought i should share it with Spark EV forum.
A lot of question marks still surround the Spark, then, maybe more than should exist for a car this close to launch. One point of distinction, however, is that the Spark appears to be the first American market vehicle with the recently approved (by the Society of Automotive Engineers) “combo” plug that allows all three levels of charging. It incorporates both J1772 Level 2 and a new Level 3 standard for 480-volt fast charging. Pebbles told me the first Level 3 chargers using that standard will be opening “within days.”
Just around the corner from GM’s booth was DBT USA, which is the American arm of a well-established French charging company. On the stand was a new Level 3 charger that offers two wands—one compliant with the Japanese CHAdeMO standard and the other with the new American combo plug. Bruno Armand, business development manager for DBT, told me that the charger is a prototype that could be on European markets in the second half of the year, and maybe the U.S., too.

“The idea is to be as flexible as possible,” Armand told me. “If customers want this type of charger, we will be ready.”

I was struck again by how heavy the combo plug is—at least twice that of a standard J1772 Level 2 unit (but a bit smaller than the CHAdeMO Quick Charge Plug). It makes Tesla’s decision to go it alone with a much slimmer and lighter design look a little less crazy.

The Spark has a big price, a small size, some nice electronics, and, well, a lot of remaining questions.

That's very cool to offer the convenience of all three charging voltages so you can charge slowly at home, quickly at work, or grab a fast 30 minute charge on the run in the Chevy Spark EV.

I have been wondering how Chevy Spark can recharge in 20 minutes well this explains a lot a 480-volt cord definitely helps here.

But the question that comes to me now is it going to be safe, I mean I never even tried pluging in a cord with such voltage before?

Jimmy said:
I have been wondering how Chevy Spark can recharge in 20 minutes well this explains a lot a 480-volt cord definitely helps here.

But the question that comes to me now is it going to be safe, I mean I never even tried pluging in a cord with such voltage before?

There is no safety issue really, especially if you are careful about what cord you use but it's all basic stuff.

McHale said:
Jimmy said:

There is no safety issue really, especially if you are careful about what cord you use but it's all basic stuff.

Yeah, that makes sense because they probably wouldn't make this option available in the Chevy spark if it wasn't safe for general usage.

I am new here and I don't have a Spark EV yet, but I can help answering some of the technical questions.

The J1772 standard involves an active communication link between the vehicle and the charge station. The station (called an EVSE or "Electric Vehicle Service Equipment") has power relays that control the electrical power but only after the plug has been inserted in a vehicle and the vehicle has agreed to the charge. By default, there is no electricity flowing if the plug isn't connected, so it is safe, even under raining or snowing conditions.

The onboard charger in the vehicle does all the work to get the power to the battery, and determine when the battery is fully charged, which will then power off the relays in the EVSE. The whole process is simple for the layperson, and the vehicle will tell the user by audio beeps, the charging lights on the dash, or the wireless connection to a smartphone about the results of the charge. The battery uses only DC, but the charger can converts AC into DC and raise the voltage up to over 400 volts DC. The DC combo plug allows the station to charge the battery directly at a higher current flow, and reduce charging time to less than one hour.

So I expect to buy a Spark EV with the DC charger. According to the manual, there is a rubber cover that protects the DC socket below the AC socket, so if your Spark EV has this cover, you can charge with DC later. But if the DC charger isn't installed, the DC socket is plugged with plastic. I don't know if the DC charger can be added on to those who bought the first Spark EV vehicles.

Raymondjram said:
So I expect to buy a Spark EV with the DC charger. According to the manual, there is a rubber cover that protects the DC socket below the AC socket, so if your Spark EV has this cover, you can charge with DC later. But if the DC charger isn't installed, the DC socket is plugged with plastic. I don't know if the DC charger can be added on to those who bought the first Spark EV vehicles.

The DC charger can not be retrofitted onto vehicles that don't ship with it. Also, when charging over DC, the charge cable locks itself into the car during active charging. It unlocks automatically when charging completes, or can be manually unlocked using the keyfob, smartphone app, or infotainment screen.

chevyfan said:
... one compliant with the Japanese CHAdeMO standard and the other with the new American combo plug.

It seems popular to call CHAdeMO the "Japanese" standard, even though it is the same in Japan, USA and Europe (almost 1000 already installed and operating in Europe alone!).

The "American combo plug" in the near term will only be used by GM, and so far German car makers VW and BMW. Mercedes has announced that the "American combo plug" won't even be an option here in the USA on their B-Class CARB compliance electric vehicle. No other "American" car manufacturer, neither Ford, Fiat/Chrysler, nor Tesla have any plans to offer an actual electric vehicle with this plug. Actually, neither Ford nor Fiat/Chrysler have plans for ANY electric vehicle in the USA beyond what is required for CARB compliance so they can sell millions of oil cars.

Just GM, and German car makers. Maybe we should call it the German standard?

Is the Tesla plug "American", which is designed, built, and actually being installed throughout the USA (and now Europe)?

Since I predict a "SAE is our masters" response, let's be clear that there isn't a regulatory connection that makes SAE anything more than what it is. Didn't they change their name to SAE "INTERNATIONAL" anyway.. not just the USA?

, the charge cable locks itself into the car during active charging. It unlocks automatically when charging completes, or can be manually unlocked using the keyfob, smartphone app, or infotainment screen.[/quote]

That's good news. There is a real problem with electric vehicles left to charge . When the driver returns they find that for a variety of reasons. Some fool has unplugged the car while charging.

buickanddeere said:
, the charge cable locks itself into the car during active charging. It unlocks automatically when charging completes, or can be manually unlocked using the keyfob, smartphone app, or infotainment screen.

That's good news. There is a real problem with electric vehicles left to charge . When the driver returns they find that for a variety of reasons. Some fool has unplugged the car while charging.

But with a full charge taking only 20 mins (approx) no one SHOULD leave their car for more than the time it takes to buy a cup of joe.

Yes, I believe that there some etiquette for charging.

If your car is charging, when it is done -- you should move it.
If it is a slower charge (J1 J2), then it is OK for another EV to unplug (if it is done charging) and plug in theirs . As in they parked next to you.

I think there is an app that lets you know your car is charged.

If you are at a true DC/QC or what ever they want to call it. The 20 min charge. You should be sitting right there waiting for it to charge. Not leave it there for an hour.

It is called common sense.

My only worry is the shitty neighbors I have cutting the cord..... I would hope that they get a good SHOCK if they did it.

Back