First Spark EV owner to get a speeding ticket?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsears

That would probably be me... off Harbor drive near the Convention Center. I was a the stop light, and seriously questioning the 400ft/lbs TQ that everyone says this has. I have a 2007 Corvette Z06 that I track as well and coming from that monster, its really hard to find anything comparable. Suffice it to say, traction control OFF, Sport Mod ON, traffic clear - Light turns green and I'm off heading up the bridge. Wheel spin at first and after about 30mph it starts to pick up FAST. I get the the top of the bridge and uh, oh... Harbor police parked on the side with his gun. Instantly lights me up. I pull over exchange the typical greetings with registration, license and insurance. He runs my info and writes me up for 62 in a 45. He asked if I was in a hurry... I chuckled, "No, just seeing what all this hype was in my new electric car..." He laughed a bit, and said "Well now you can tell all your friends that yes, it does have 400ft/lbs TQ, and yes, you did get a speeding ticket to prove it. I laughed, signed the ticket and went on my way.

Lesson learned. This car is fun! (And way cheaper than a 7.0L Z06!)

Said the cop, as he was tossing the ticket into your Spark, "I'm embarrassed FOR you."

:p hehe

I've felt that the Spark EV would make a great drivers-ed/new driver car as it is roomy, excels in the stop/go scenario of driver training and is stable and predictable. As well, it can carry up to 3 students and yet retains the acceleration/stopping of a car carrying only the driver.

However, its rapid acceleration could get a young driver in trouble for speeding. I know my tendency is to let it fly until I am at or over the posted limit and it's just a matter of time.

I sold my Porsche when I bought the Spark... What I've realized is that this car is never going to win a race against a Porsche like mine - but you can generally drive it quicker around town and with a lot LESS attention (no gas engine revving, and not Speed Yellow like my old ride!). I'm just hoping to get around town quickly while flying below radar with the Spark! ;)

EVelyn said:
I sold my Porsche when I bought the Spark... What I've realized is that this car is never going to win a race against a Porsche like mine - but you can generally drive it quicker around town and with a lot LESS attention (no gas engine revving, and not Speed Yellow like my old ride!). I'm just hoping to get around town quickly while flying below radar with the Spark! ;)

You CAN win a race against that Porsche. Just set up one condition: the race starts at ZERO RPM (engine not turning). You can also set up no gear shifting and a maximum RPM, since the Spark has only one gear ratio. With these conditions, any electric can win against any gas engine car!

I read the question on this thread a while back, and Saturday after getting a ticket thought I ought to check if I was first. Looks like I'm second among the members of this board.

I was giving a co-worker a ride home from a half marathon we did that ended in Banks, Oregon. I'm driving on a highway that I assume is 65, but it was 55.

This part is not made up: my co-worker is saying "I'm really impressed. This thing is nice inside, and it seems to have plenty of juice too." (He drives a Ford F-150 four door). So of course I say "Oh yeah it's got lots of torque," and I stomp on the accelerator and zoom up to about 73. Then I notice a state trooper parked in the median of the highway. In my rear view mirror I can seen the nose of the trooper's car start to move forward.

Dang.

My co-worker and friends have thought it was pretty funny, so I'm just using the story to get laughs and "legitimize" the Spark EV.

Back