Folding Electric Bike Commute

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevon

How about a folding electric bike for a ride to free or extra charging Location? Reply to mwalsh:
mwalsh said:
mwalsh ,
I did a lot of research and decided to buy a fun functional bike with good
components. decided on an affordable electric mountain bike, the CEMoto E-18-B folding bike. Purchased it yesterday on sale at eBay :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321824983042?
_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
$_57.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQNP3MUxHM4
Reviews are scarce but here are some:
http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/cemoto-electric-folding-mountain-bike.2012/ and
http://atvsupershop.com/products/e-mountain-bike
mwalsh said:
I personally like a slightly larger wheel than on the Velo mini or Bromton - the smaller the wheel, the less stable the bike; also a bumpier ride on rough roads; plus the gear ratios need to be larger with smaller wheels, which can present problems when climbing steep hills.

looks like a nice folder. keep in mind the 60lb weight if this goes in and out of the car a lot. i have a bad back and my 20" folding bike is fine at nearly 30lbs. i havent tried it on our ev, but it looks like mine will fit with the 40 section seat down.

sparqi,
Just sold my NSX-T and wanted a multi purpose fun toy. It was pricey at $800 with California tax and shipping, I'll keep the forum posted with a review and pictures.
sparqi said:
looks like a nice folder. keep in mind the 60lb weight if this goes in and out of the car a lot. i have a bad back and my 20" folding bike is fine at nearly 30lbs. i havent tried it on our ev, but it looks like mine will fit with the 40 section seat down.

$800 for the electric bike right? if you consider folding bikes, there are good entry level selections under $500, even cheaper if you are open to used via craigslist. ill post mine soon on another thread, but i started with a downtube, then tried smaller with a citizen tokyo and dahon curve sl, now back to 20" origami folding bike.

sparqi,
Investigated all options for a few weeks and chose a dual purpose mountain bike (not the smallest but definitely the funnest)also have a 1/4 mile 20 % grade to climb on the return trip, the electric option will help me climb if I need it. A used electric bike can be a nightmare to repair especially when you need parts. Made a big profit selling the NSX so chose a brand new solution. I could just walk like I've been doing but don't always have the time. Besides it's a novelty purchase like a Segway, a fancy toy to impress friends and colleges and to make conversation. Not much of a comparison to one of my other projects: http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=11453

sparqi said:
$800 for the electric bike right? if you consider folding bikes, there are good entry level selections under $500, even cheaper if you are open to used via craigslist. ill post mine soon on another thread, but i started with a do
wntube, then tried smaller with a citizen tokyo and dahon curve sl, now back to 20" origami folding bike.

sparqi,
Should be here by Friday! Can't wait, but will it fit in the Spark?
MDVEQzEzRTk3ODJDRjM1M0IxMzc6NjA2OGE5MmZhZjRjYjYyNTE1N2VkMDJlNGUyNDg1MmY6Ojo6OjA=

stevon said:
sparqi,
Just sold my NSX-T and wanted a multi purpose fun toy. It was pricey at $800 with California tax and shipping, I'll keep the forum posted with a review and pictures.
sparqi said:

stevon said:
sparqi,
sparqi said:

Bike arrived Friday,
The only damage was the battery top got smashed in shipment. It's a puzzle because bike was well packed with battery inside of the frame.
CEMOTO-1sm.jpg

Damaged-Battery-sm.jpg

the obligatory "cat scan"
Cat-Scan-sm.jpg

stevon said:
sparqi,
Should be here by Friday! Can't wait, but will it fit in the Spark?
MDVEQzEzRTk3ODJDRjM1M0IxMzc6NjA2OGE5MmZhZjRjYjYyNTE1N2VkMDJlNGUyNDg1MmY6Ojo6OjA=

stevon said:
sparqi,
sparqi said:

stevon said:
sparqi,
sparqi said:

sparqi,
tried out the bike after charging the battery 4 hours. The bike is a little small for me, I'm 5'11" 27 inch tires an frame would have been perfect. The shocks are "air" meaning no oil dampening lust a little air resistance but that is easily remedied with a shock from eBay. The ride is a little too comfortable to be a serious mountain bike. There are two modes of power, throttle and power assist when you pedal. I do need to pedal up the long hill, just using motor alone won't cut it. Bike will do 20 mph on flat areas without pedaling and more with. The seven speeds seem adequate for commuter travel, shifting is smooth with the Shimano components. The brakes were weak at first but have bedded in and grab quite nicely now. fits in the Spark even with the generator bolted in. Had 1/2 of the rear seats folded down
bike-001.jpg

bike-002-sm.jpg

sparqi said:
[/quote]

Bike is back to par! New battery arrived!, replaced it and it works fine. The front brake caliper cable clamp was not assembled correctly. Reset cable and clamp and I now have front brakes! all is good in my neck of the woods

Follow up on the CEMOTO bike. The brakes "broke" the front brake does not work any more (100% failure). It feels like the friction pad fell out, will have to take it apart to determine the issue. Riding down the long hill was scary last night! Also I find the handlebars a little narrow but will leave them stock as part of the folding design . Maybe when I upgrade the shock, a new front brake solution may be necessary.
The bike has been fun and I'm using it 3 times a week, It is cheaply made but at only $800 you get what you pay for. They have electric mountain bikes for +$38k !! and up to $50K w/options!

stevon said:
Bike arrived Friday,

And I have had a Bike Friday for a few years now.https://www.bikefriday.com/
The original 'Suit Case' bike, made in America!

And now I want to electrify it, thanks to you.... Thanks for helping me spend my money! :roll:
I'll go the 'motor-in-wheel' method and buy a 20" front wheel with a 500 watt motor !

Now I can go visit this cool town 45 miles away, park at a free L2 and motor/bike around town!

Back