General Opinions From Owners Please

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nozferatu

Hey Folks,

So I'm slowly working towards the possible purchase of this car and I've driven it twice..loved it both times.

What I'd like from the owners here is an honest to goodness feedback of how you like your cars. What you like most about your cars...what you like least. Any problems you've had, how many miles you have, etc....

I'd like to know how these cars are holding up after a few months....solid, no squeaks or rattles galore...

Thanks.

nozferatu said:
What I'd like from the owners here is an honest to goodness feedback of how you like your cars. What you like most about your cars...what you like least. Any problems you've had, how many miles you have, etc....

Ours is one month old. I'm delighted with it. We have not discovered any defects, rattles, etc. I like driving it in traffic because when you want it to go it just does. I also like that I seem to be getting about a 90 mile range instead of the advertised 82.

StevesWeb said:
I also like that I seem to be getting about a 90 mile range instead of the advertised 82.
Have you driven it 90 miles on a single charge w/o charging in the middle?

Your range all depends on your energy consumption.

For example, here's Tony's Leaf range chart: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293.

2011-2013 Leaf's EPA range rating varies from 73-75 miles, yet Edmunds achieved a 2011 Leaf 132.0 miles by driving a steady 35 mph (http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/leaf/2011/long-term-road-test/2011-nissan-leaf-driving-it-to-the-bitter-end.html) and others at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7022 have done better than 75 miles.

But, if you drive it fast and/or heavily use the heater, you will fall way short of 75 miles...

StevesWeb said:
nozferatu said:

Ours is one month old. I'm delighted with it. We have not discovered any defects, rattles, etc. I like driving it in traffic because when you want it to go it just does. I also like that I seem to be getting about a 90 mile range instead of the advertised 82.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. How does it do in the freeway? Pretty stable? Wind noise overall? Etc...

How's the stereo BTW? I didn't get a chance to test that out but in my Fiat 500 Sport it's pretty decent with the Bose system.

Cheers.

cwerdna said:
StevesWeb said:
I also like that I seem to be getting about a 90 mile range instead of the advertised 82.
Have you driven it 90 miles on a single charge w/o charging in the middle?

No, the longest trip without charging so far was 68 miles, 95% freeway, at the end it predicted it could go 22 miles more, If I had driven 90 miles I would not have said it seems to get 90 miles per charge.

nozferatu said:
How does it do in the freeway? Pretty stable? Wind noise overall? Etc...

It's great on the freeway. You do hear tire noise at that speed, and at 65~70mph I hear a tiny bit of wind noise by the driver's window, but less than in most cars. The car is much quieter than the 2005 Prius it replaces, it handles much more nimbly. The very low center of gravity helps stability quite a bit.

nozferatu said:
How's the stereo BTW? I didn't get a chance to test that out but in my Fiat 500 Sport it's pretty decent with the Bose system.

The stereo is on the mediocre side compared to the Prius, it could use more speakers and maybe more power. I'm tempted to act like a teenager and put a subwoofer in the way-back. Years ago as a wee lad I had an Acoustic Research AR4 speaker in the back of my thoroughly rusted through Karmann Ghia.

The way that the radio controls are integrated into the dashboard setup is weird. If you want to have the interactive display panel on you have to have the multimedia system on. The designers seem to have assumed the driver will always want the radio on. This is the most vexing problem so far, it is easily solved by pausing a source like an iPhone or a USB jump drive.

I'm also extremely unimpressed with some of the bonehead idiotic statistics offered by Ontrac/GM. For example in a 30 day display of driving efficiency the average MPGe seems to be calculated by adding each sample, so I'm seeing ridiculous efficiency claims. This has no impact on driving the car, it's a very minor nuisance.

Screen%20Shot%202014-02-11%20at%205.02.20%20AM%20%20Feb%2011%2C%202014.png

484 MPGe? Really? On average my efficiency is 4 times as good as my best sample ----- sure it is.

I've had my Spark for just a month and have about 1100 miles on it. I also own a Leaf that I've had for three years. And while similar in many ways there are important differences. Here is how I grade the Spark.

Where the Spark wins:
1. Much better range. I've done two trips of 100 miles on a single charge. One at low outside temp and 100 mi was about the limit. One at about 60 degrees and I still had some to go.
2. Zippier. Really a lot of fun to drive, particularly in stop-and-go.
3. For city driving, the Spark wins on maneuverability.
4. Regen mode (I drive in 'L'). Very nice. The Leaf seems to get worse with every firmware update.

Where the Spark loses:
1. Noisier at freeway speed, quite loud.
2. Option level is limited. The Leaf comes with backup camera and in-dash nav. The lack of in-dash nav is really a huge gripe for me as the display is there. Really dumb.
3. Rear seat is not too comfy for adults. Pretty cramped.
4. In many small details, the Leaf is just more refined. The climate controls REALLY suck in the Spark. They Leaf's climate controls are merely bad.
5. Of course if you follow this forum and the flames about fast charging you will know that the Leaf has a great many quick charger locations in the major metro areas of the west coast. A huge factor for me.

Bottom line, if I had to choose and the price was identical, I'd go with the Leaf. BUT, the Spark is hella fun to drive and the range is terrific. If there were a plethora of CCS stations then the decision would be hard, I'd probably opt for the Spark for its range/fun. It really depends more on your needs. For me quick charging is important. Seating four adults, not so much. YMMV.
-Corwin

Corwin:

Great, objective post. It's always interesting to hear what informed owners have to say about their EV's... I have wondered about the real world range of the Spark EV, sounds pretty impressive to me. On your lomg trips, were they at highway speed?
Thanks,
Lou

corwin said:
Bottom line, if I had to choose and the price was identical, I'd go with the Leaf. BUT, the Spark is hella fun to drive and the range is terrific. If there were a plethora of CCS stations then the decision would be hard, I'd probably opt for the Spark for its range/fun. It really depends more on your needs. For me quick charging is important. Seating four adults, not so much. YMMV.
-Corwin

I test drove a Leaf before settling on the Spark EV, and everything you say rings true for me. The Leaf drives more like a smallish sedan, a very competent smooth ride, while the Spark EV is much stiffer and more like a sports car with its low center of gravity.

Since I'm old, retired, and usually home anyway, and my typical trips never exceed 40 miles one way, the lack of DC charging capability on my Spark EV is of no concern to me, I do not expect the car to ever leave Southern California. The longer range was a small inducement, but it was the test drive that closed the deal. It's a guilt free fun drive, it makes driving pleasant.

It's definitely the most fun car I've driven since my mid life crisis Miata in a prior century.

gatedad said:
Corwin:

Great, objective post. It's always interesting to hear what informed owners have to say about their EV's... I have wondered about the real world range of the Spark EV, sounds pretty impressive to me. On your long trips, were they at highway speed?
Thanks,
Lou

My three longest trips on a single charge of 77, 78 and 79 were all at highway speeds, up a mountain ~1500 ft and back to our original destination. All had a range of about 9-15 estimated miles remaining. We have had our Spark EV since late July and have over 5500 miles on it and still love driving it. Its a bit small, but for normal errands and driving the kids to/from their events, it fits us just fine. The ride is stiff compared to my Volt, but the car handles corners much better and more responsive from a stop. The tire and road noise is more noticeable than our Volt as well, but the doors are thinner and sort of expected.

I've had my Spark EV since late July. I've put on 4500 miles in that time.

The Spark is our main car. It is the car I jump in to go to work, run errands, and the one my husband and I take when we go anywhere in the county together. We take his CRV for trips out of the county. Though I kept my 2001 Accord as an "just in case" car, I have to remind myself to use it to keep it maintained.

I absolutely LOVE the Spark. It handles well, very nimble. Love its responsiveness for highway driving. It is also great for parking. The backseat is surprisingly roomy for a subcompact. Many adults have ridden in the backseat, and the driver has not had his or her legroom compromised. The backseat riders have been amazed at the amount of legroom they have. The backseats aren't very cushy, though. Front seats are very comfortable. I really like that this is a four door car. I mostly carry things in the far back where the items are covered and hidden from view; but appreciate that when I have something bulky to carry or am carrying passengers, it is easy to access the back seat. The downside of the four doors is that the high handles impede some of the visibility when backing out. The plus side about the high handles is that the car looks like a cute little coupe while actually being a four door.

With the backseat down, this little car carries a lot! And again, the driver doesn't have to pull their seat forward to adapt for the backseats being down.

The climate control took some getting used to, but now I really like it. I use "Auto" for heating to the temperature I preset. (I usually preheat my car, and then turn it off on my drive to work.) I prefer manually adjusting the climate control for cooling mainly to control the amount of fan.

I would have designed the radio differently and there is road noise, but for the cost these are minor irritants. I never thought I would have a Chevy in my life. This car allowed me to jump into the electric car world at a price range I could afford.

I've already got $2500 back from the state of California. Since I pay a lot in taxes, I will get the full $7500 back from the federal government. I also looked closely at the warranty on the battery. Even if worse case scenario happens and the battery degrades to 65% of its original capacity, my general daily driving is still well within the worst case 48 to 53 mile range. So I figure I'm set for 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Because of the IRS return and the warranty, I chose to buy instead of lease.

The Spark EV is a quirky looking car; my husband calls it the roller skate. Even after having this car for 7 months, I still smile when I walk up to it in a parking lot. And if I'm with my husband, one of us usually makes some joke about the Spark's "beauty." Maybe it's the blue color; maybe it's the funny shape; maybe it's that I often can't see it in a parking lot until I walk past all the other bigger cars; maybe it's knowing I'm going to jump in for a fun, smooth ride to my next destination; maybe it's knowing I'll never have to take it to the gas station for gas. I don't know what it is exactly, but I LOVE THIS CAR!

Take it out on a windy day for spin at freeway speed ... :evil:
Note: hold on tight.

I just noticed another little quirk. Lights on auto in a tunnel. They come on at the end of the tunnel - the setup waits too long. And they go off way past it, naturally. I that respect Leaf has it to perfection.

At 45 mph you can range up to 115 miles. Nice. Otherwise 82 and up at freeway speeds. FOR NOW! We don't know yet what the battery degradation is going to be. These are not Nissan chemistry batteries, so I'm hopeful A123 delivers something much better than Smyrna has so far.

Do not buy! Lease! We have both cars, unfortunately bought the Leaf, so we've learned our lesson. The resale is a huge loss for the Leaf, and the Spark batteries are up in the air at this time. Plus, new cars are coming online in 3 years' time while you will be stuck with your 70-miles-or-less Spark.

Ilectric: If the Spark EV actually gets 115 miles at 45 MPH, that is fantastic. For comparison, my Mitsubishi I-MiEv gets about 70m miles or so, in SoCal type weather(without any climate controls or heat).
Lou

Yeah, we covered 70 miles at mostly 45 mph, hills included, and came home with 45 remaining. It was definitely a pleasant surprise. Of course in Ca that's not real life since we drive mostly crazy freeways and not backroads to the beach. But wife loves the range. It's a relief from 60-mile Leaf, which she now hates because of that. We have yet to see what this range will look like at 45,000 miles when the car goes back with a "thank you, Chevy."

I personally prefer Leaf by far; I can't get comfortable in that car. Way too jumpy for me, and as I mentioned earlier on windy/wintry days it's all over the map. Two-hands driving while waiting for the next gust of wind knocking you from the side. The shape of the side is like a wind sail. Combined with the light weight it's a recipe for some wild ridin'. Some like it hot. I don't. Leaf is way more stable and solid on the road. If 2013 Leaf had the same range as Spark I'd be on the other side of the fence.

Got my in July and have over 8000 miles on it now. For me it's the perfect commuter car. 48 miles round trip mostly freeway speeds at between 65 to 75. Have free charging at work so I don't tax the range too much, longest for me was 72 miles with 10 left. Haven't had any problem with wind but I didn't like the brakes in L when it was raining. Just didn't feel right when stopping. It was fine in D mode. It's small size makes it great to go shopping in the tight mall parking lots. It's not perfect but it's fun to drive that's for sure.

Thanks "I". Understand the issues regarding size as my Mitsubishi is about the same size. Usually I drive alone, on occasion my wife is with me. Infrequently we take our adult daughter wit us. It is small then, but otherwise seems fine for our needs. It's still got to improve its range, or when the new 2014 comes out with QC standard, we can take advantage of that to effectively reduce the charging anxiety.

Lou

corwin said:
I've had my Spark for just a month and have about 1100 miles on it. I also own a Leaf that I've had for three years. And while similar in many ways there are important differences. Here is how I grade the Spark.

Where the Spark wins:
1. Much better range. I've done two trips of 100 miles on a single charge. One at low outside temp and 100 mi was about the limit. One at about 60 degrees and I still had some to go.
2. Zippier. Really a lot of fun to drive, particularly in stop-and-go.
3. For city driving, the Spark wins on maneuverability.
4. Regen mode (I drive in 'L'). Very nice. The Leaf seems to get worse with every firmware update.

Where the Spark loses:
1. Noisier at freeway speed, quite loud.
2. Option level is limited. The Leaf comes with backup camera and in-dash nav. The lack of in-dash nav is really a huge gripe for me as the display is there. Really dumb.
3. Rear seat is not too comfy for adults. Pretty cramped.
4. In many small details, the Leaf is just more refined. The climate controls REALLY suck in the Spark. They Leaf's climate controls are merely bad.
5. Of course if you follow this forum and the flames about fast charging you will know that the Leaf has a great many quick charger locations in the major metro areas of the west coast. A huge factor for me.

-Corwin

Having owned a leaf for almost three years myself I more or less agree. I don't think noise is much different at freeway speeds but the audio system, or at least the speakers, are much poorer than the leaf. Also the spark has much better range out of the box which predicts that it will have a longer usable life. Even still I would recommend lease over buy having bought the leaf and getting "stung" for about 11k in 2.5 years. Even so I think I made out about even with those who leased. I just lost my long term investment in premium seat covers, tinting etc.. Im not doing crap to the spark since its leased.

The interior is nicer in the sparc but the leaf is more comfortable with wider seats and a better arm rest and more functional dash. I'm not sure the climate controls are any worse than the leafs, I never was able to figure out if the fan was on without the AC because the light always came on when you adjusted the fan speed. Back seat room Is pretty close except the leaf could fit 3 cramped adults while the spark can fit two because of the split bench.

The spark is 5-8k less than the leaf and it shows in the conveniences. What I miss most are the keyless entry doors. IE not having to press a button on a remote to unlock the doors. I also miss the garage door opener, sunglass holder and to less of extent, navigation. The navigation is really only good for the maps and traffic view as you can send a route to onstar on the spark and get turn by turn anyway.

The biggest difference in my opinion is the ride. The spark feels like a go-cart where the leaf felt more like a small "sporty" car with a plush ride.

I would also mention that Nissan purported the ability to swap out battery cells with their "innovative battery technology" to newer updated cells offering increased range eventually as the existing cells went bad. This was an obvious sales pitch and lie. This was told to possible customers at Leaf shows and events as well as by trained dealer staff so I did not get this info from a single person. That being said I do not trust Nissan any longer and I believe there will eventually be a class action suit brought against them for the false range claims and battery life. When I traded mine in for a spark I had a battery report that gave me 5 stars across the board and 11/12 bars yet I was only getting 55 miles of range with no climate control. This means the leaf would be at around 20-30 miles of range when the "9 bar" warranty kicked in. Essentially the leaf is useless for a 50 mile commute after 3 years so you will see prices drop through the floor once the bulk of the leases start coming back.

If you are looking for a grocery getter, comfy car lease a loaded leaf or ford ev, if your looking to get the most out of an EV for a commute of 30-50 miles roundtrip then the sparc is your best bet. The only car that is cheaper at the moment is the Fiat and the range is not as good and it is a 2 door. If your driving less than 30 miles to work and back then an ICE is more economical in the long run. For me the main factor was HOV access and price. To get a car that has HOV access for less than $25k is tough. The spark costs about 7.5k +about $700/yr in power for 3 years which is about as cheap as your going to get any car for.

WParson said:
Having owned a leaf for almost three years myself I more or less agree. I don't think noise is much different at freeway speeds but the audio system, or at least the speakers, are much poorer than the leaf.
'13+ Leaf SV and SL have a better available stereo (2 choices: base and Bose) than the '11s and '12s which had 0 choices: base only.
WParson said:
When I traded mine in for a spark I had a battery report that gave me 5 stars across the board and 11/12 bars yet I was only getting 55 miles of range with no climate control. This means the leaf would be at around 20-30 miles of range when the "9 bar" warranty kicked in. Essentially the leaf is useless for a 50 mile commute after 3 years so you will see prices drop through the floor once the bulk of the leases start coming back.
As for your claims of Leaf range w/degraded battery, sorry, I don't buy it at all. That's WAY exaggerated. You were likely leaving a LOT of capacity on the table (I've seen people on MNL make outlandish claims about range being short and we find out they're using the stupid GOM and/or leaving 4+ bars of capacity remaining (out of 12) and calling it "out") or had the heater running (inadvertently due to the HVAC control quirks on the '11 and '12s) or driving WAY too fast. If you didn't have a gid meter, then its stupid GOM (guess-o-meter aka "distance to empty") probably gave you unnecessary range anxiety.

TonyWilliams did a range test of a bunch of Phoenician Leafs w/the very rapid degradation, including a car that had lost 4 capacity bars (having only 8/12 remaining). See results at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=228326. That car still made it 59.3 miles on his test which was at 100 kph (~62 mph).

I would personally at this point not recommend ANYONE in a hot climate like Phoenix, Texas or Vegas, buy a Leaf and even leasing one would be sketchy due to its lack of battery thermal management.

And yes, it sucks that Nissan seems to have misled people about the rate of degradation of batteries. They definitely were WAY off vs. their claims for those in hot climates. It seems they weren't that accurate either even for those not-as-hot climates (e.g. Los Angeles and San Diego areas). Only for those in places like Pacific Northwest do we seem to seeing much more modest degradation.

Had my spark for almost a month. 1700 miles on it. (150 mile round trip commute). Spark is my first ev, so I can't compare to others but I can say:

Range: very happy, to work at 65 mph with a 5 mph tail wind I go 75 miles with 20 miles left of range. Home at 62 to 65 and 5 mph head wind I go 75 miles with 8 to 10 miles left.
Noise: low speed, awesome. I love how silent this car is, and what little noises it does make are so alien to a car, like little electric motors and the just audible whine of the electric motor as I back out of the garage. I often mute the radio just to hear my futuristic space ship sounding car hum around. Freeway speed is as noisy as any subcompact, it's not a luxury car after all. No squeeks or rattles so far.
Stereo: meh. Quality is fair. At least it has speed adaptive volume though, and can play iPod, Pandora, and aux in for anything else. Also can play videos from a smart phone, if your not driving, like sitting and charging.
Worst thing: climate controls, they are confusing at best, and the efficiency meter makes them down right panick inducing. With the fan on 3 and temp at 78 to get the cabin warmed up for a minute, I'm at 100%! Wtf does that mean! Am I about to suck 75 miles of range off the battery!? I'll just use the seat heaters.
Runner up worst thing: infotainment controls in general. Getting to any specific screen, radio, tone, climate, settings takes at least 2 clicks of the sometimes unresponsive touch screen, and usually 3 or 4. The exception is the electrical info, by hitting the "leaf" button. (They should have made it a "spark" or at least a lightning bolt.)
Runner up best thing: performance. This car is so quick and nimble. My previous cars were a 79 trans am, 95 trans am, 06 scion tc, and this car is way sportier than any of those. I absolutely love stomping on the peddle when some gear head jock in a crappy 90 something mustang or trust fund punk in his BMW tries to pass me off the light and cut me off in my little economy box. The look on their faces when I am suddenly rocketing past them as the lanes merge. Worth every penny.
Best thing: F#%& big oil! No more gas. EVER!

jay5729 said:
Runner up best thing: performance. This car is so quick and nimble. My previous cars were a 79 trans am, 95 trans am, 06 scion tc, and this car is way sportier than any of those. I absolutely love stomping on the peddle when some gear head jock in a crappy 90 something mustang or trust fund punk in his BMW tries to pass me off the light and cut me off in my little economy box. The look on their faces when I am suddenly rocketing past them as the lanes merge. Worth every penny.
Best thing: F#%& big oil! No more gas. EVER!

I call it my BMW intimidator. Most of my driving is in 45MPH zones, so if I'm in a mood to show off I just mash it and the instant I hit 45 it's cruise control and I allow the now humiliated Beemer to pass so the other driver can feel like he won.

The traction control giveth, and the traction control taketh way.

The car compares very favorably to my mid-life crisis Miata, but it might actually be more fun.

Back