How long did it take to get your plates in CA?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bilmat

Curious to know how long it took those of you in California to receive your plates and permanent registration from DMV after you purchased or leased your Spark EV? And after you received your plates, how long did it take to receive your white HOV decals if you applied for them?

Bill in Fremont

We've been waiting almost seven weeks for the plates. That's about how long it took to get plates for another car we purchased last January, so I'm not too nervous yet. Amazing that you guys got them in two weeks... but I like the car without plates anyway :)

Bilmat said:
?..how long did it take to receive your white HOV decals if you applied for them?

Bill in Fremont
I leased the car on 6/21, received the plates on 7/14, sent the sticker form and check the next day and received the HOV stickers on 7/29.

Bilmat said:
Curious to know how long it took those of you in California to receive your plates and permanent registration from DMV after you purchased or leased your Spark EV? And after you received your plates, how long did it take to receive your white HOV decals if you applied for them?

Bill in Fremont

Had I waited 24 hours I wouldn't have posted the questions above. I received an e-mail from my dealer the day after the posting that said my plates have arrived and that they are mailing them to me immediately. (They should show up in my mailbox on Monday.) Why the DMV mailed them to the dealer and not to me directly I haven't a clue. I bought a new gasmobile last year and the plates came to me straight from the DMV. To answer my own question, it will have taken about two weeks to receive the plates. And based on the comments above, I assume it will take about two weeks to receive the white HOV decals after the plates arrive and I'll be able to complete the form and mail it in with a check.

When you get your registration document, before you file for the CARB decals, make sure that the field labelled 'MP' (stands for motive power) is 'E' for electric and not another code like 'G' for gas. If it is not E, you will need to have the dealer fix it before your application will be approved.

After waiting almost a month for the DMV to look at my application for the decals, I got sent a letter saying the car was incorrectly registered as a gas car and I had to get the dealer to fill in a document to correct the motive power from G to E. Then the application had to be sent back to the DMV where they will probably take another month to process. So here it is 2 months from bringing the Spark home and I'm still waiting for those decals

The dealer also mis-registered the car with OnStar as a Silverado truck. I'm thinking shopping on a Sunday when their back office is not around is going to lead to these kinds of mistakes.

So I put the CA HOV stickers on today and spent a lot of time figuring out how to lay them out since the area behind the tires is so small. I ended up wrapping the large ones around the corners a bit and then plates the small one on the lower back right area down low. I thought about putting them up high above the tire or diagonal but looked tacky.

i did the same for the large ones, and since they are wrapping around the corner for about half their size i just didnt put the small one anymore. i'll let you know if i'm gonna get a ticket for that. :p

Electricbowtie said:
So I put the CA HOV stickers on today and spent a lot of time figuring out how to lay them out since the area behind the tires is so small. I ended up wrapping the large ones around the corners a bit and then plates the small one on the lower back right area down low. I thought about putting them up high above the tire or diagonal but looked tacky.

Funny I just struggled with the same thing yesterday. Ended up doing the same as you, I am not 100% happy with the appearance (mild OCD part of me wants it to be perfectly horizontal without wrapping around), but it is better than tilting the sticker. Oh well, I probably won't even notice it from here on out.

Leased on 9/25/13
Plate came in on 10/5/13
HOV Carpool Sticker arrived on 10/25/13

Exactly one month after leased. Thanks to dealer rush to have plate processed.

so far:
leased 1/18/2015
submitted CARB rebate 1/18/2015
CARB rebate paperwork received 1/22/2015
reg & plates arrived 2/2/2015
mailed HOV sticker paperwork 2/2/2015

waiting on:
CARB rebate approved
CARB rebate received
HOV stickers received

paperwork is so fun...

littlemisfit679 said:
so far:
leased 1/18/2015

waiting on:
CARB rebate approved
CARB rebate received
HOV stickers received

paperwork is so fun...

I just got my Spark Monday night. I didn't notice any paperwork on CARB rebate... I thought it would just be sent to me automagically. hehe. What was I thinking. Can you tell me where I need to go to fill out the paperwork for the CARB rebate and the HOV sticker? And I'm with the ones who hate the look of the stupid sticker. Luckily I have a white car, but still... I see Teslas with them and cringe for them. Really ugly thing to have to put on such a beautiful car.

littlemisfit679 said:
https://energycenter.org/clean-vehicle-rebate-project

Thanks - I had already googled it; sent in my paperwork yesterday. Next is the HOV sticker, but I have to wait for my plates for that, apparently.

ezryder said:
littlemisfit679 said:
https://energycenter.org/clean-vehicle-rebate-project

Thanks - I had already googled it; sent in my paperwork yesterday. Next is the HOV sticker, but I have to wait for my plates for that, apparently.

Your dealer has access to your license plate number as soon as it's designated (before they get to you). I was told about 10 days out from the purchase date.

My plates came pretty quick (two weeks).

finally got my stickers :)

so far:
leased 1/18/2015
HOV stickers received 2/20/2015

waiting on:
CARB rebate approved
CARB rebate received

waiting is so boring!