Is it normal that....

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nozferatu

When on an incline, being that the electric motor is under load, the sound of the motor (that high pitch whine..not the fake sound) becomes louder and when you slowly press of the accelerator the pitch varies quickly up and down? It didn't seem so loud or erratic when I first got the car...but now with 500 miles on the clock is it still normal?

Another thing...do these cars need any break-in period?

Hey!

I'm about 5 weeks into owning my Spark EV; about 1600 miles. I'm on the SF Peninsula and drive a fair number of inclines, both freeway and city. I haven't had any of the noise you're talking about - none. Have you taken it to the dealer?

To your other question, the break-in period for "gassies" has to do with the gas-burner itself, so no break-in required.

hth,

Cephas2000

I think it's normal. Electric motors resonate different frequencies based on load and speed. They tried to minimize sound from resonating, but they probably didn't focus on heavy load low speed sound.

Back