Just found out my car doesn't have wifi hot spot.

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrenDonovan

OnStar rep told me they don't know if it can be retrofitted, or if it's a hardware or software issue.
Does anybody know? I don't really need it, but it's just cool to have. :D
Thanks,

I don't believe that's ever been an advertised feature of the Spark.

IMNSHO you'd be better off buying a dedicated wireless hotspot, you could keep it in the car but also be able to take it and use it away from the car. Me, for the few times I need one I'll just use that function of my smartphone.

4G LTE with wifi hotspot is supposed to be available in late model year 2015, but I don't think it's hit dealers yet.

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/spark-ev/2015.html

"...later in the year, OnStar 4G LTE with available Wi-Fi hotspot..."

Bryce

I got my spark about a month ago. I have the 4glte but have not actually used it. I have an android phone and in the on star app there is a 4g Ltd toggle that lets me turn it on and off. It also lists the I'd and password to access the service. When I set up my on star account for the first time the rep pointed me to this feature and then asked if I wanted to upgrade my data plan as it only comes with 3gb.

sparkchewbacca said:
I got my spark about a month ago. I have the 4glte but have not actually used it. I have an android phone and in the on star app there is a 4g Ltd toggle that lets me turn it on and off. It also lists the I'd and password to access the service. When I set up my on star account for the first time the rep pointed me to this feature and then asked if I wanted to upgrade my data plan as it only comes with 3gb.

Can you let us know if there's a specific way to identify (on the car) if it has the 4G LTE + wifi hotspot? Maybe a screen in the head unit software settings, a label/sticker somewhere on the car, or an electronics box that seems unique?

I'm sure there's an RPO to identify it on the car's build sheet, but it'd be really good to know how if you're purchasing a used car.

Thanks!

Bryce

sparkchewbacca said:

Interesting. I got mine a week ago (Feb 18, 2015), and the car doesn't have it. I also have an Android phone. Here's what my OnStar Remote Link app screen looks like, no toggle switch for wifi.

If you push the on star button above rearview mirror ( the one that looks like a person sitting in a chair ) it pulls up an on star screen on the head unit. There I can access all of the on star goodies including the WiFi settings.

Also, there is a blurb about this in the owners manual near the back in the onstar section.

Darrendonovan my homescreen on the app looks very similar except I have a button for 4G LTE hotspot below MAP.

I would upload images but can't seem to figure out how to do that here from my phone...

Back