Keyless Entry and Push Button Start

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wutangmo15

One annoying thing I found out is that you need the key fob to unlock the doors. All of my other cars with keyless/push button start have sensors that will unlock the doors for you and is truly keyless.

Is there something that I've overlooked or did Chevy drop the ball on this one?

:lol: I'm totally used to pressing the fob to unlock the doors on my base model 2007 Prius. In fact I prefer that since I can unlock the car from the second floor if my wife is outside and needs to get in or something.

Tech has sure spoiled people these days. ;)

Yea thats just the way it is. I guess the had to cut cost some where. I wish it had a built in garage door opener myself but o well.

It gets worse...

If you unlock the rear hatch with the key, the alarm sounds!

The car does not sense that a valid key is in the lock.

Yes, it appears GM cut a few corners here.

I miss that too. Leaf is so sweet in that regard... And no stupid weirdo alarms at the oddest situations that mostly make no sense.

I believe the reason why this car doesn't have true keyless entry/touch entry system is that those systems require constant power so as to stay active and continuously scan for signals given off the keyfob. I would imagine that drains battery power.

Yes, I find this annoying. I have a Spark and a Volt. The Volt is nice you just press the button on the door handle and it unlocks or locks. The rear hatch also senses the remote all you have to do is touch the button and the hatch opens.. no digging out the keys.

nozferatu said:
I believe the reason why this car doesn't have true keyless entry/touch entry system is that those systems require constant power so as to stay active and continuously scan for signals given off the keyfob. I would imagine that drains battery power.
Sure it does, but Priuses have it, despite a tiny 12 volt AGM battery...

Tons of other vehicles, ranging from ICEVs (even really cheap ones) to EVs have it too.

cwerdna said:
nozferatu said:
Sure it does, but Priuses have it, despite a tiny 12 volt AGM battery...

Tons of other vehicles, ranging from ICEVs (even really cheap ones) to EVs have it too.

I don't know what really cheap ICEV's have keyless touch entry systems.

Perhaps the 12 battery on the Spark isn't charged the way other 12v Batteries are charged. Don't know. But clearly GM has removed some nice features from the standard Spark to make the Spark EV. Something I don't like.

nozferatu said:
But clearly GM has removed some nice features from the standard Spark to make the Spark EV. Something I don't like.

Such as what? I'm not aware of any features/options the gas Spark has that the Spark EV doesn't except the soon-to-be rear view camera. I love parts bin upgrades, so I'm all ears.

Bryce

Nashco said:
nozferatu said:
But clearly GM has removed some nice features from the standard Spark to make the Spark EV. Something I don't like.

Such as what? I'm not aware of any features/options the gas Spark has that the Spark EV doesn't except the soon-to-be rear view camera. I love parts bin upgrades, so I'm all ears.

Bryce

No moonroof, no foglights, no side mirror blinkers, no real options for headlight/taillight upgrades (unless the standard Spark electricals are the same as the EV's...so correct me there if I'm wrong).

nozferatu said:
Nashco said:
nozferatu said:

Bryce

No moonroof, no foglights, no side mirror blinkers, no real options for headlight/taillight upgrades (unless the standard Spark electricals are the same as the EV's...so correct me there if I'm wrong).

The gas Spark doesn't have a moonroof (at all), headlight upgrades, or taillight upgrades in any market. The only market that gets side mirror blinkers, to my knowledge, is Korea. I expect this is due to legal compliance requirements unique between markets, but I don't know that for a fact.

Fog lights are available on the gas Spark, but since we have a unique front end, I'm pretty sure those parts won't bolt to our front end (I haven't been able to confirm this yet). So, comparing US gas Sparks to Spark EV, that means fog lights and (soon) the rear camera are options the EV didn't get. Oh yeah, and roof rails, but that's obviously going to hurt range and goes against the optimizations for the Spark EV.

Bryce

nozferatu said:
Nashco said:
nozferatu said:

Bryce

Drac, I'm really sorry the Spark isn't what you thought it would be.

I'm puzzled, though, as there is no moon or sunroof on the ICE Spark. There are no different headlights or taillights on the ICE Spark. I may not have looked hard enough but I don't even see aftermarket lights other than those awful hid drop in bulbs. Be very wary of aftermarket lights, many aren't legal - some for very good reason.

The mirrors with the built-in winkers are nice but I think ours are more aero.
Fog lights might make it look more deLuxe but I've yet to see a pair of factory ones that made much of a difference.

Perhaps I'm showing my age (dinosaur), but I remember when a well equipped car meant radio, heater, and whitewall tires.

When I bought this car I knew what I was getting. An inexpensive, but capable and fun electric car with a very nice level of equipment and good crash test results. Perfect? Bah! It's a compliance car and built to a price. Sure I'd change some things, but add too many things and the price jumps up and the performance goes down.

emv said:
Drac, I'm really sorry the Spark isn't what you thought it would be.

I'm puzzled, though, as there is no moon or sunroof on the ICE Spark. There are no different headlights or taillights on the ICE Spark. I may not have looked hard enough but I don't even see aftermarket lights other than those awful hid drop in bulbs. Be very wary of aftermarket lights, many aren't legal - some for very good reason.

The mirrors with the built-in winkers are nice but I think ours are more aero.
Fog lights might make it look more deLuxe but I've yet to see a pair of factory ones that made much of a difference.

Perhaps I'm showing my age (dinosaur), but I remember when a well equipped car meant radio, heater, and whitewall tires.

When I bought this car I knew what I was getting. An inexpensive, but capable and fun electric car with a very nice level of equipment and good crash test results. Perfect? Bah! It's a compliance car and built to a price. Sure I'd change some things, but add too many things and the price jumps up and the performance goes down.

EMV,

I'm liking the car...I have no complaints about the overall performance, ride, etc.

But there are a few things I'd definitely change.

The ride is one. I think the suspension could do with a little better tuning. Rebound is too softly set for my tastes and creates a wallowy ride. It's ok at slow speeds but when you hit bumps or disturbances at speed (and this car can definitely get up to speed FAST!), it's a bit disconcerting and can be even a little unsafe...say mid-corner.

Regarding the aftermarket HIDs...yeah I agree...it's hard to find anything decent other than completely swapping out the headlamp unit doesn't seem like a good idea. I guess upgraded halogen bulbs would be OK???

The side blinkers would have been a nice touch in our slimmer mirrors...very slick...or just a small side blinker like you seen in European cars like my previous car..the Fiat 500 Sport. Small touches like this really add to the aesthetics and I highly doubt it adds much cost...if any.

I grant you it's not an expensive car...well..relatively I guess...but at $27K for a compact...it's pretty pricey and I think they could have thrown in some special touches for the EV beyond the powertrain difference. It wouldn't have killed them.

Back