Loud "CLUNK" noise under rapid acceleration ... ?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVelyn

This has happened to me about 4-5 times, in the three months I have been driving the Spark EV...

When I accelerate hard (put the pedal to the floor), within the first 3-4 feet of movement I hear a very loud "CLUNK" that seems to come from the front wheels of the vehicle... It's exactly as if I just hit a big pot hole with the front wheels... In fact, since it occurs so rarely, I assumed the first couple of times I heard it that I did just hit a pot hole or something... Most recently when this occured I even went back to intersection to verify there was nothing unusual about the road surface, and it sort of made a "double-clunk" sound that time.

It really happens so fast that it's hard to determine where it is coming from, but in my imagination I see the entire electric motor shifting on it's motor mounts! ...I'm not even sure that is how it's constructed to even be possible... but that's what the experience "feels" or sounds like.

Has anyone else observed this with their Spark EV?

I would bring it into Chevy, but I can't replicate the experience on demand... it only happens once in a while. I'm sure they would test drive it and not find the problem, so I don't want to be without my ride while they do that. However, I have noticed that the rear suspension makes noise (like an old bed box spring) sometimes, too... Creaks when I get in and out of the car sometimes - but not always. Makes me think about losing some weight whenever it happens :) But, maybe between the two interimittent issues it will be worth taking it in for a check-up... ?

You may have the same problem I had...

http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3443

When I accelerate from a stop with the "go" pedal to the floor, I'll get wheel hop if the road surface isn't very smooth. It definitely sounds like a loud clunk. (Therefore I accelerate that way quite sparingly... only when I need my teenage boy-racer fix :)

You'll definitely get a clunk if you floor it and go over painted crosswalk lines as it loses traction and then grips again. That happens to me ALL THE TIME!! I love it

I've gotten the clunk too, more on deceleration than acceleration. I think it's normal, but I can't tell you what it is.

You all may have poorly installed speed sensor. Mine was a "ducky" sound. They did the fix. They actually miked it so they could hear where the noise was coming from. Guy spent almost a day to pinpoint the problem.

Ask and you shall receive. The car is covered bumper to bumper.

iletric said:
They actually miked it so they could hear where the noise was coming from. Guy spent almost a day to pinpoint the problem.
The guy spent a day doing peelouts and 'burning rubber' to pinpoint the problem, what a fun job :lol:

Back