New owner in Baltimore, MD area - best practices question

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamerhokie

Greetings, I just leased a Spark last week and have been taking it through its paces. Getting it home from the dealer was a nightmare but after that it's been a real pleasure.

Is there any comprehensive resource on best practices to maximize range, in a practical way? Right now my efficiency ranges anywhere from 2.8 to 5 miles/kWh, depending on about a dozen variables I suppose.

I've seen articles on range when driving 20 MPH or whatnot, but I'm more interested in real world stuff. Baltimore is like most metro areas, lots of highway driving needed to get from point A to point B. So, highway speeds are one frequent constraint, and I'm pretty sure I won't have a range much higher than 45 miles with that. And there are very few fast charge stations active.

So if you point the noob in the right direction, the noob would be grateful. ;)

Just wait until warm weather gets here!

There is no 'comprehensive' Golden Path to Max Range.

As always, Go easy on the Go Pedal, Go Slow, Regen slowly to stops as much as possible, Dress warm - don't use heat, Keep it plugged in as much as possible to allow the battery's TMS to keep the battery pack in the ideal temp range.

By doing even some of these crazier things, you'll still get less range in cold weather than when it's warm out.
Gassers experience a similar drop in MPG.

If you're not pushing the limits of your range all the time, why 'pinch those watts'?
Even if you pay for all your electrons this car is still the least expensive way to roll !!

Stomp on that Go Pedal and enjoy this little EV Hot Rod !!

NORTON said:
Just wait until warm weather gets here!

There is no 'comprehensive' Golden Path to Max Range.

As always, Go easy on the Go Pedal, Go Slow, Regen slowly to stops as much as possible, Dress warm - don't use heat, Keep it plugged in as much as possible to allow the battery's TMS to keep the battery pack in the ideal temp range.

By doing even some of these crazier things, you'll still get less range in cold weather than when it's warm out.
Gassers experience a similar drop in MPG.

If you're not pushing the limits of your range all the time, why 'pinch those watts'?
Even if you pay for all your electrons this car is still the least expensive way to roll !!

Stomp on that Go Pedal and enjoy this little EV Hot Rod !!

Thanks for the response. I use the L setting almost exclusively in local driving. I'm learning about the effects of heat on range, I never would have thought it made that big a difference.

I'm also curious about the impact of passengers. I'm sure adding weight reduces range but I don't have a feel as to how much.

A few times a week I need to make 60-70 mile round trips and those are the ones that have me concerned, since they are mostly highway driving.

As to the cost of electrons - fortunately Bosch is sending me a practically free 240v home charger so that will help immensely - I get power at 9 cents/kWh due to my solar panels.

But with community chargers, I'm finding cost has pretty wide range. I've got a few free 240 V chargers in my county, one within 1/2 mile. On the other end of the spectrum, the Walgreen's 240 V chargers run $2/hour, or 60 cents/kWh, which is more expensive than gas! Of the three active fast chargers in Baltimore metro, two are free and one is $7/hour ($7 minimum, sneaky).

hamerhokie said:
... A few times a week I need to make 60-70 mile round trips and those are the ones that have me concerned, since they are mostly highway driving. ....
Better bundle up and go w/o heat. And have a Plan B. And know when to bail on your trip, like a crippled airplane crossing the ocean. Know when to do a 180 if it looks bad.

Just try to get through this time of year. It only gets better after this !!!
Good Luck !!

The only thing I would add is to use cruise control while on D mode as much as possible. L mode all other times and glide as much as possible ( feather gas pedal so 0 kW used)

Any possibility of being able to charge at your midpoint destination? That would help.

Garrity said:
Any possibility of being able to charge at your midpoint destination? That would help.

Yes, there is a free fast charger north of my destination. It is a bit out of the way but I think I can make it there afterwards. Will have to experiment.

hamerhokie said:
... >there is a free fast charger north of my destination. It is a bit out of the way but I think I can make it there afterwards.
>>Will have to experiment.
>Why not go to the DCFC first while you're up to speed? Make that your first destination.

>>"experiment" !?! Yikes. Doesn't that sound scary when talking EV?

AAA is the 'Tow of Shame'. Have you read about the stretchy tow rope method of adding a charge? You call your bud with a pick up instead of a tow truck and regen while being towed!
I keep a stretchy tow rope in my EV survival-first aid kit: A 20 ft. 12 ga. extension cord, an 'outlet tester', the tow rope, a space blanket, an LED head lamp, a tire plugger kit and the usual first aid kit.

NORTON said:
AAA is the 'Tow of Shame'. Have you read about the stretchy tow rope method of adding a charge? You call your bud with a pick up instead of a tow truck and regen while being towed!
I keep a stretchy tow rope in my EV survival-first aid kit: A 20 ft. 12 ga. extension cord, an 'outlet tester', the tow rope, a space blanket, an LED head lamp, a tire plugger kit and the usual first aid kit.

I'm not sure my AAA covers 'ran out of juice!' If it does, I'm pretty sure they'd limit it to 'tow the idiot to the closest fast charger and raise his rates...'

hamerhokie said:
.....I'm not sure my AAA covers 'ran out of juice!' If it does, I'm pretty sure they'd limit it to 'tow the idiot to the closest fast charger and raise his rates...'
Good point!
You might have to be 'Creative' with why you need a tow.
GM's roadside assistance can and should be saved for actual problems with the car.

That leaves my AAA Premium for other 'Situations'? Any ideas?
Let the air out of one of your tires. Explain that you "don't want to use the 'Slime' and need to tow it home"???

Norton posted:

Better bundle up and go w/o heat. And have a Plan B. And know when to bail on your trip, like a crippled airplane crossing the ocean. Know when to do a 180 if it looks bad.

Just try to get through this time of year. It only gets better after this !!!
Good Luck !!

This is some of the best advice you could receive. Here in the central region of California the temperatures have dropped into the low 30s and I have see the range on my 2015 Spark EV drop from 105 miles down to the mid 70s. Yes, I use my heater which I have set to the AUTO mode with the cabin temperature set to 74 deg. F. I leave the car out in the cold all night and I have seen my range drop as low as 2.5 mi / kWh when I first drive off into the cold morning and S-L-O-W-L-Y climb back up to 4.3 mi/kWh.

Norton recommended having a plan B and knowing when to bail out. Great advice! One of the things I have found to be fun with this car is learning to figure out how to get from point A to point B without running out of electrons. Learning how to do this builds your confidence in your range estimates.

These types of questions are the kind a dealer has no clue about. Fortunately, this blog is a fountain of useful information that helps "newbies" learn how to drive an EV and love it. 7 months ago I was a "newbie". Today, 7000 miles later, I am looking for challenges to see how far I can push my driving range in all kinds of weather. My next challenge is to drive 165 miles one-way to Monterey, CA. using DCFC stations along the way. Yes! I have a plan B and C and my trusty L1 EVSE.

hamerhokie said:
Greetings, I just leased a Spark last week and have been taking it through its paces. Getting it home from the dealer was a nightmare but after that it's been a real pleasure.

Is there any comprehensive resource on best practices to maximize range, in a practical way? Right now my efficiency ranges anywhere from 2.8 to 5 miles/kWh, depending on about a dozen variables I suppose.

I've seen articles on range when driving 20 MPH or whatnot, but I'm more interested in real world stuff. Baltimore is like most metro areas, lots of highway driving needed to get from point A to point B. So, highway speeds are one frequent constraint, and I'm pretty sure I won't have a range much higher than 45 miles with that. And there are very few fast charge stations active.

So if you point the noob in the right direction, the noob would be grateful. ;)

If you have not already done so, log onto plugshare.com and check the locations of the DCFC stations and L2 public stations in you area.

I find road speeds above 60 mph really start eating up my range. 55 - 60 mph seems to be much better. Heater or A/C usage significantly impact range. You need to learn what that impact is for your driving style and weather conditions.

As an example, on Friday my wife and I drove our 2015 Spark EV 2LT, "Sparkie", to the airport in Sacramento, CA which is 75 miles from our home. The weather was overcast and cold so I set the heater to AUTO and the temperature to 74 deg. F. The car was fully charged before we left. I preheated the car for 15 minutes while connected to my L2 EVSE, disconnected and left for the airport. We left the heater on for the entire trip to the airport. We flew to Boise, Idaho leaving the car parked outside at the airport for 3 days not connected to any charger. Returning, we followed the same route and used the heater too but with no car preheat.

There are two DCFC stations along my route - one 35 miles out and one 60 miles out from my home. The airport is 15 miles further from the second DCFC station. We stopped at both stations going and coming and only charged back up to 82% which amounted to stopping at each location for 8-10 minutes. When we returned home on Monday we had driven 150 miles, spent approximately 40 minutes charging, and arrived home with plenty of range left. I was quite pleased with the results. I have a 300 mile round trip to Monterey, CA planned when the weather gets warmer.

MrDRMorgan said:
....I find road speeds above 60 mph really start eating up my range. 55 - 60 mph seems to be much better. Heater or A/C usage significantly impact range. ...
And I find that wind resistance increases with square of velocity. There is no magic number. 25 - 30 mph seems to be much better than 55 - 60 if all you care about is range.
Also, Air Conditioning uses minimal power compared to Heating.

Why suffer? If you have to suffer with this car, you bought the wrong car.
Have you been reading about the Bolt?
If you're trying to save a few pennies, why? You're already driving the least expensive way to roll down the road.

NORTON said:
MrDRMorgan said:
....I find road speeds above 60 mph really start eating up my range. 55 - 60 mph seems to be much better. Heater or A/C usage significantly impact range. ...
And I find that wind resistance increases with square of velocity. There is no magic number. 25 - 30 mph seems to be much better than 55 - 60 if all you care about is range.
Also, Air Conditioning uses minimal power compared to Heating.

Why suffer? If you have to suffer with this car, you bought the wrong car.
Have you been reading about the Bolt?
If you're trying to save a few pennies, why? You're already driving the least expensive way to roll down the road.

Range is not an issue if you are driving locally (40-50 miles per day). You can visit all of your local destinations and return home with range to spare. I have a 2014 Spark EV 2LT w/o a DCFC option and that is exactly how I drive it even with the heater on. However, I learned from my experience with this car that I would not be able to drive this car, heater on or off, to the airport located 75 miles away and be able to get back home in a timely manner. I purchased this car strictly for my local driving needs so I could idle my gas guzzling pickup truck.

Range starts to be an issue of choices when driving needs become regional (40-75 miles) or long distance, one or more DCFC stations are not on your route and you are not willing to wait hours for a public L2 EVSE station, if available, to recharge your car. I also have a 2015 Spark EV 2LT with the DCFC option. After 7 months of driving this car I have tested and learned what kind of range I can expect in various driving situations and climate conditions. I use that knowledge coupled with DCFC station location information from PlugShare to plan my regional, and future long distance trips so I do not get stranded. Saving pennies is not the issue; getting stranded is.

I suggest any new EV owner drive like they normally do with their ICE vehicle and learn how their driving style affects the range of the EV - be it road speed, weather conditions, etc. Range confidence and understanding will come with that knowledge.

Back