Onstar defaults to give you the fastest route...

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scknogas

Yesterday, I had a full day planned, going for a hike, pot luck lunch, Superbowl party, and drive a friend to his house, then home. No charging options realistically at my destinations. So, had to drive carefully...

Being unsure of my directions I used the Onstar turn-by-turn to get me to the trail head for my hike. Instead of taking me 18.8 miles in 25 minutes, Onstar routed me 21.2 miles, 24 minutes. No biggie just 3 miles further, right? Nope, it routed me over the Mt Soledad Freeway (52) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_52. So, I climbed a mountain that I did not need to.... Grrr

That meant that instead of me having 60 miles left on my battery at the trail head, I had only 38 miles.... Went on the hike, and then found a L2 charger nearby and paid $4 to put about 23 miles of electrons into my car.

According to Onstar, they get three routes displayed, but they typically send the "fastest" to the car.

Scott

Interesting. I wonder if there's any way to make a default for shortest distance. I personally prefer Google maps over Bluetooth than onstar. Anyways I'll definitely keep that in mind when I get directions for long routes.

I always route my journeys before I go. There are ways of going that do not hit traffic like different routes.
I know that doesn't help you but if you do it this way you will know which is shorter and which is faster (if you know the area)

Back