Passenger/Cargo Weight Effect on Range

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernSpark

Was thinking about a recent trip where I had managed to almost bleed the battery dry (and upon starting out, didn't think it would be a problem). I had 3 adult passengers (prior to that, we only had a max of 2 in the car). It was also cold (was not in the habit of remote starting/pre-heating, first cold day of the season), my tires were below pressure by a max of about 3-4 psi, and I was driving mostly highway. I think it was pretty much a 'perfect storm' that resulted in me almost running out of juice.

That being said, thinking back on it today and how much the extra weight may have factored into it, anyone with experience re: carrying extra cargo/passengers and how much does that factor by itself affect range?

Can't answer your weight question.

But you can answer one of the factors creating your 'perfect storm'.
Try a similar trip, in similar temps, with similar loads,, only have your tires pumped up 3-4 psi higher than recommended and see if that is measurably better.

Also, preconditioning the cabin works best when plugged into an L2 EVSE. On an L1 you will lose some range during the preconditioning. You may lose range on an L2 but not much. Depends on the temp.

We saw a very noticeable decrease in range when my wife wanted to warm the cabin with the recent cold snap. She does either 65 miles a day or 85 miles a day depending on whether she rides her horse on that day.

The decrease in range for cold winter use did work out very well for me.. my wife wants to take our vw golf tdi and blast the cabin heat without any range anxiety. So I now have the spark ev back as I have a much shorter 30 mile round trip commute.

Jeff

And it's well known that you'll get the best results leaving the mother-in-law at home ... :lol:

Back