Power and Range of Chevy Spark EV

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

west

I have some interesting info to share with Spark EV forum.
The key selling point of the Chevy Spark EV is its power output. For an electric mini, 130 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque are pretty stout numbers. That’s a significant difference when compared to the 84 horsepower found under its gasoline-powered sibling’s hood. What’s more humiliating is that the electric motor makes nearly five times the torque of the gasoline engine, delivering 400 pound-feet instead of 83. With all that unnecessary torque and power, the car sprints from 0 to 60 mph in under seven seconds, which is pretty exciting for a compact EV.
Thanks to the 20 kWh lithium ion battery the Spark EV is expected to provide among the best EV range performance in its segment. Its range is roughly calculated to come around 60 miles. Its big brother, the Volt — a car from which the Spark EV’s engineers borrowed liberally — is good for about 40 miles, while the Nissan Leaf does an average 58 miles

This is incredible. It's EV mode is 5 times better than gasoline engine! I am so impressed with the Chevy Spark EV right now.

west said:
The key selling point of the Chevy Spark EV is its power output. For an electric mini, 130 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque are pretty stout numbers. That’s a significant difference when compared to the 84 horsepower found under its gasoline-powered sibling’s hood. What’s more humiliating is that the electric motor makes nearly five times the torque of the gasoline engine, delivering 400 pound-feet instead of 83. With all that unnecessary torque and power, the car sprints from 0 to 60 mph in under seven seconds, which is pretty exciting for a compact EV.
Thanks to the 20 kWh lithium ion battery the Spark EV is expected to provide among the best EV range performance in its segment. Its range is roughly calculated to come around 60 miles. Its big brother, the Volt — a car from which the Spark EV’s engineers borrowed liberally — is good for about 40 miles, while the Nissan Leaf does an average 58 miles

That is a lot of torque for a small car like the Chevy Spark

McHale said:
west said:

That is a lot of torque for a small car like the Chevy Spark
Isn't it just incredible? A small car like Chevy Spark EV with this torque can have great speed and great control.

Isn't it just incredible? A small car like Chevy Spark EV with this torque can have great speed and great control.

Yup, that's exactly why my next car is going to be an EV like Chevy Spark because the torque when you start is just insane when driving a EV...that is also the reason why I think even the hardcore auto fans will eventually forget about gas engines t electrical engines.

Jimmy said:

Yup, that's exactly why my next car is going to be an EV like Chevy Spark because the torque when you start is just insane when driving a EV...that is also the reason why I think even the hardcore auto fans will eventually forget about gas engines t electrical engines.

If I hear one more time about the "roar of a real engine" I'm going to go berserk, I mean with all the advantages of a EV you are clamoring about the sound that is just a side-effect of an inefficient machine...those guys should get some blaupunkt speakers and tape a "real engine"

McHale said:
Jimmy said:

If I hear one more time about the "roar of a real engine" I'm going to go berserk, I mean with all the advantages of a EV you are clamoring about the sound that is just a side-effect of an inefficient machine...those guys should get some blaupunkt speakers and tape a "real engine"

hahaha

that is definitely the case anytime I speak to my "car buddies", they always yap about stuff like that, without noticing how ignorant they sound. I mean why would anybody chose an expandable energy source over a renewable one is beyond me

hahaha

that is definitely the case anytime I speak to my "car buddies", they always yap about stuff like that, without noticing how ignorant they sound. I mean why would anybody chose an expandable energy source over a renewable one is beyond me[/quote]

I think it has to do with the fact that we are universally mere creatures of habit so a engine that you have been dreaming of since childhood really seems compelling to you when you grow older on the simple account of it being the object of your desire since childhood...

but I could be just waxing poetically about a subject that isn't worth it.

hahaha

that is definitely the case anytime I speak to my "car buddies", they always yap about stuff like that, without noticing how ignorant they sound. I mean why would anybody chose an expandable energy source over a renewable one is beyond me

I think it has to do with the fact that we are universally mere creatures of habit so a engine that you have been dreaming of since childhood really seems compelling to you when you grow older on the simple account of it being the object of your desire since childhood...

but I could be just waxing poetically about a subject that isn't worth it.[/quote]

No, I understand what you are saying, but that really is no excuse to favor a gas guzzling VW over a Chevy Spark EV

yup, we are on the same page, that's probably the reason why we are posting in the Chevy Spark EV forum anyhow...

Back