Rebate for 220v portable charge cable?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suparukuibi

The EV rebate seems to only work for Bosche wall charger.

I need a 220v portable charge cable because my work provides 220v electrical sockets.

Is there one that also gets the rebate?

suparukuibi said:
The EV rebate seems to only work for Bosch wall charger.

I need a 220v portable charge cable because my work provides 220v electrical sockets.

Is there one that also gets the rebate?
Just put a cord on the Bosch. That's what I did to plug it existing 6-50 socket.

Find out what the socket at work is and get that plug. Later you could put the same socket at home...

The Bosch units are not very small nor light, but as mentioned with the right cord and plug you can plug it at work. It will likely get awkward to set it up and pack it away each day, but it should work.

Yeah, make a webbing handle for the Bosch. Some velcro straps to keep the cords neat, and you now have a 'portable EVSE'.
It may not be 'weather resistant'. Will it be outside at your work?

You can't let that rebate go.
Have the Bosch installed at your home if required. Then cut the cord and add the appropriate connector from the 'Depot'. Install the matching socket at home.
If you have a local electrician do it, it could be quick. It's not Rocket Surgery.

My suggestion would be to do this...

Buy the charger from bosch using the discount and sell it on craigslist or on e-bay. Get a 30 Amp unit as it has more of a market for it. e.g. Leaf owners with 6.6 Kw charger, etc. e-golf, kia soul ev and bmw owners don't get discount - so you have market there...

Then use the proceeds from the sale to buy a clipper creek unit. I saw nikwax's clipper creek - I was surprised and very impressed by it's size and design. It is "just right" for the spark ev. I am installing my bosch with a 12 inch lead (per national electrical code) - basically setting it up so that a clipper creek can be swapped in easily if the bosch fails...

Jeff

NORTON said:
Yeah, make a webbing handle for the Bosch. Some velcro straps to keep the cords neat, and you now have a 'portable EVSE'.
It may not be 'weather resistant'. Will it be outside at your work?

You can't let that rebate go.
Have the Bosch installed at your home if required. Then cut the cord and add the appropriate connector from the 'Depot'. Install the matching socket at home.
If you have a local electrician do it, it could be quick. It's not Rocket Surgery.

very true.... good suggestions everyone

I'm trying to figure out which to get... the 16A or the 30A. (although if I go the ebay sell and Clippercreek buy path I realize I should get the 30A). But until I actually sell the unit, I want to use it.

I don't mind lugging around the big box if I rig up some kind of handle to it. At my office, we have an outdoor parking lot where charging electrical boxes have 4 120v sockets and 1 220v socket.

I looks like the Bosche can sit on the ground, and the power cable would reach up to the power box. I just have to figure out how to keep it dry if it rains. Although according to Bosche: "NEMA 3R enclosure for both indoor and outdoor applications"

suparukuibi said:
I looks like the Bosche can sit on the ground, and the power cable would reach up to the power box. I just have to figure out how to keep it dry if it rains. Although according to Bosche: "NEMA 3R enclosure for both indoor and outdoor applications"

That rating is most likely only if the unit is mounted vertically as it would be on a wall or post.

Back