RIP EV Advocate William Korthof

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xylhim

I know many of you may not know him, but a close friend of mine, who was the primary reason for me becoming interested in electric vehicles, passed away last night in a motorcycle accident. Will started the sustainable cooperative of Pomona (http://www.regen.org), which currently consists of four houses, running on solar, grey water systems to feed edible landscapes, heat pumps instead of heaters, no dryers (hang dry all clothes), and vegetarian kitchens (less energy intensive to eat at lower trophic levels). As if that wasn't enough, Will was the President of Sustainable Solution Partners, specializing in the installation of solar, grey water, low water use landscaping, and electric vehicle charging equipment to not only the LA but also the San Francisco bay area. He also made electronic quiz systems for K-12 classrooms and colleges. Every year he would bring his crew of solar installers out to Burning Man where he would set up a 20+ kW solar array to help power electronics at the playa. The man was highly intelligent, a workaholic, and had boundless energy. He was a marathon runner, cyclist, hiker and backpacker. He was considered by his friends to be exceptionally generous; when I moved out of the cooperative and I needed a place to stay in Pomona, he offered me his room to stay in.

His father, Doug Korthof, you may have seen before, he was featured in the documentary Who Killed the Electric Car; Doug was instrumental in leading the protest against GM for ending the EV1 project and taking back these vehicles at the end of their leases. He passed away a couple years ago.

Will Korthof just turned 36 years old this past Wednesday. He will be missed, but never forgotten.

1796676_10152314459408109_157496524_n.jpg

William and Doug

Back