Service Called for at the 2 Year Mark

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NORTON

I was getting a pop up warning on my monthly Onstar emails that the '2 yr. Free maintenance is coming to and end.'

I saw in the Owner's Manual that: Brake Fluid change and Cabin Air Filter change was due.
I got excited! Then after a few phone calls it was pointed out that the '2 yrs' deal is only oil and filter changes, maybe tire rotations(?), so basically the Spark EV qualifies for Zip for free.

So the question is:
Is this the only GM product that calls for a 2 yr Brake Fluid change? Was it even in the Volt's scheduled maintenance list?
Lots of Euro cars call for 2 or 3 yr Brake Fluid changes.

I'm not concerned about the health of my Cabin Air filter. There is no dust or dirt on the clean mean streets I drive on! Now if I lived on a gravel road...

I like the idea of changing the Brake Fluid. Has anyone bothered with this 'scheduled' maintenance item?
I dislike the idea of having the GF help me with this procedure some sunny Saturday in the driveway, Me: 'Down', 'Up',,, Her: 'Now?',, Me: 'Yes now',,, Her: 'Now?' It never goes easy....

every car, regardless of make/model etc should have the brake fluid flushed every 2 years. the brake fluid draws moisture out of the air, and the moisture promotes rust in the calipers and MC which is damaging. I try to do this service to all my cars every 2-3 years (my road race cars get it done 3 times a year). i'd guess that 99.9% of regular folks don't do this service. ever. and the result is that about 5-10 years down the road (depending on climate) a seized caliper or failed MC is the result.

for those of you out there doing the 39 month lease? I'd say not to worry and not do the service. for those of you out there who bought your Spark and plan to keep it for 10 years? either do the flush yourself (takes about 45 mins - hour for a one-man brake flush from start to finish and costs about $10 in brake fluid).

Back