Should I take off traction control??

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evboy

Im getting my spark in a few days so i decided to read alot of the older posts to get a full understanding of the good and bad. biggest complaint seems to be the traction control is very aggressive. when its on the wheels spin and cuts your power when tyring to gun it to merge in traffic. whats the cons if any to taking the traction control off. it doesnt rain much in vegas so i would only have the traction control on the 7 times a year it does rain.

TC and Stab Control come turn back on by themselves above a certain speed.

You'll be able to test this soon! Bet you're excited! Too bad you won't be able to burn rubber on demand. But you won't be sorry about this car purchase!

I believe the solution for traction is to change out the tires. Buy anything that isn't the stock tire and you'll be happy.

My traction control has only activated in ice and deep snow conditions, have never seen it in rainy or dry conditions.

nikwax said:
I believe the solution for traction is to change out the tires. Buy anything that isn't the stock tire and you'll be happy.

My traction control has only activated in ice and deep snow conditions, have never seen it in rainy or dry conditions.
the salesman said they put 4 new tires on it already. i dont know what kind. if its the eco tires or regular summer tires you would get at walmart. i thought the 400 pounds of torque was all usable. why would they want to stop that from being used by stopping the wheels. im confused.

nikwax said:
I think you'll have more fun playing with Sport Mode (on/off) and the difference between D and L.
the reviews i saw on you tube say sport mode doesnt do anything. they couldnt tell the difference

nikwax said:
...My traction control has only activated in ice and deep snow conditions, have never seen it in rainy or dry conditions.
I get the TC light flickering all the time in the rain.
A few times I felt Stab Control try to save my bacon when I was goosing it on purpose on an off camber entrance ramp. I was trying to get one end or the other to break loose. I think what it did was apply one back brake to bring the ass end back in line,, I think...

Sport mode is not more power, just different rates at the Go pedal.
Driving in L is the '1 Pedal' style of driving that some people love.

I wore out 'ultra performance' front tires in 23k miles. I'm now back with the stock front tires that I removed at 3.5k and the rear performance tires remain.
I don't rotate the tires.
At the rate I'm going I'll be putting the stock 195's (from the rear) on the front next, and maybe go through 3 front tire sets before touching the rear performance tires.

evboy said:
i thought the 400 pounds of torque was all usable. why would they want to stop that from being used by stopping the wheels. im confused.
It called smoking the tires. Kids like that. But it's not the fastest way to accelerate.

And also some question that claim as a PR stunt. Is the transaxle capable of handling this much initial torque? We know the tire traction would not be.
Maybe the bare motor on a test stand can make that number stalled out at 0 rpm.

Back