Taking over a lease

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butler

With over 4 months of weekly arrangements between my wife and I on who is going to take the Spark to work, we have decided to buy a volt to replace our non-EV car. We are thinking of a Volt because we want to keep the option of having a gas engine for long(er) drives if we need to.

And to top it all, someone in my office is trying to off load their leased Volt. This is his offer - $336pm (incld taxes) and 50% of transfer fee. 2013 volt with 2 years/26K left on the lease. Premium Trim (leather, bose, navigation). Is it a good deal? Can I get better going for a new?
-b

Seems like a good deal to me, right now you'd be looking close to $400 a month for a loaded Volt plus you would still have to pay taxes and fees.

We had a Spark - leased about 6 months back and now we just took over the lease of a Volt. For our second car we were looking for something with extended range...just in case.
-b

Generally it is a sucker move to take over someone's lease payment on an EV in California as the person who originally leased the vehicle gets a $2500 CA tax credit while the person taking over the lease gets nothing.

To put it another way, if you take over someone's EV lease in CA you should get back a proportionate amount of the rebate (roughly $70 for each month left on a 3 year lease). Plus, a used vehicle is worth less than a new vehicle, why would you agree to pay the same amount they paid per month as they did?

You will also be stuck with the fee at the end of the lease.

Unless someone put down a lot of money on an EV lease, they should be paying YOU cash out of pocket to get out of their lease.

Back