Thinking to lease the Spark or ??

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmikmik

My Saturn wagon is on it's last leg, I think. Or I am just ready for a change and EV sounds very attractive.

Went today to a Chevy dealer and drove the Spark EV.
I have way too many requirements to be reasonable, but as always compromising helps.

Reasons why I am looking at Spark:

a. Attractive lease price
b. Promising range numbers
c. Torque

My main concern for the test drive was the ride quality. Bad back and the age are asking for a smoother ride. I was actually quite impressed with the smoothness of the ride for a relatively small vehicle, but the torque has sold me on the thing, hands down. It's the ultimate "mid-age crisis" sleeper car for a cheapskate like me :)
The salesman was telling me about all the goodies that come standard on the car and asked me to turn the selector knob on the left of the steering wheel. That's when I noticed the tire pressure was 46lbs! , the door says 35lbs. I did not buy, neither the car nor the explanation that they are trying to get as much range as possible on their test drives.
Any idea why do they do it? I know it's very subjective, but how you like the ride quality on your Spark? Did you have a chance to compare it to Leaf or anything else?

Thank you in advance.

For me. C. is the answer. Torque. When I need it I have it.

It's fun car for me and my first EV car. Like it so far.

Just pull the trigger...are you there yet? :)

No I am not.

Still trying to decide what I want.
Probably going to drive the Leaf again, but I think Spark is sitting up higher than Leaf anyway.
That is another, although minute but a factor. I am done sitting on the ground...

nmikmik said:
My Saturn wagon is on it's last leg, I think. Or I am just ready for a change and EV sounds very attractive.

Went today to a Chevy dealer and drove the Spark EV.
I have way too many requirements to be reasonable, but as always compromising helps.

Reasons why I am looking at Spark:

a. Attractive lease price
b. Promising range numbers
c. Torque

My main concern for the test drive was the ride quality. Bad back and the age are asking for a smoother ride. I was actually quite impressed with the smoothness of the ride for a relatively small vehicle, but the torque has sold me on the thing, hands down. It's the ultimate "mid-age crisis" sleeper car for a cheapskate like me :)
The salesman was telling me about all the goodies that come standard on the car and asked me to turn the selector knob on the left of the steering wheel. That's when I noticed the tire pressure was 46lbs! , the door says 35lbs. I did not buy, neither the car nor the explanation that they are trying to get as much range as possible on their test drives.
Any idea why do they do it? I know it's very subjective, but how you like the ride quality on your Spark? Did you have a chance to compare it to Leaf or anything else?

Thank you in advance.

If you went during the day, chances are the car was out in the sun and the tire pressures were higher than when cold. But still that's too high. I set mine at 37 and it tops out at 41 on the warmest of days.

The ride on this car is too soft for my tastes..particularly the rear...reminds of a Cadillac and no where near as sporty as you would find in a European small car...which I had (Fiat 500 Sport). I think they goofed on the sportiness of this car. But it's OK..I drive it casual and if it were any sportier I'd be in real trouble.

The Leaf is quite large and luxurious compared to this thing but frankly 99% of the time I am alone in this car and never have had anyone in the back yet. So the larger space is moot other than more impact area in an accident heaven forbid.

I've driven the Fiat 500e too prior to buying the Spark. It's a nice car...more stylish if you ask me with more amenities (sunroof, bi-halogen lights, nicer touches here and there).

Haha,

I actually went early in the morning and could tell which side was exposed to the sun because it was showing 46lbs.

of all the vehicles (driven only the LEAF) I still like the Spark the best mainly because of the lease price for what it offers.
I am still a little concerned with the DC charging, or should I say the lack of stations capable of charging...

nmikmik said:
Haha,

I actually went early in the morning and could tell which side was exposed to the sun because it was showing 46lbs.

of all the vehicles (driven only the LEAF) I still like the Spark the best mainly because of the lease price for what it offers.
I am still a little concerned with the DC charging, or should I say the lack of stations capable of charging...
nmikmik: I would call them or go by and explicitly ask them to drop the tire pressure for you to experience it. They can always re-inflate them after the test drive.

Are you sure you even need DC charging? Depending on your needs and driving habits, charging overnight at home is all that is needed. Some people can also charge at work, so that helps more. Unless you are going to be driving over 35 miles away from home with it, you will never need the DC charging. I bought my Spark specifically without the fast charging option because it was an additional $750.

Another option, but maybe higher price range, is the Chevy Volt. It has a 40 mile range on the battery, but if you need to take longer trips, it has the gas engine that generates electricity and (sometimes) also powers the wheels in a hybrid-like mode. You can drive across the country in a Volt just like a gasoline-run car, but around home, it runs strictly on battery power. (I got a Volt first, then added the Spark EV.)

Whatever you get, you will love electric driving.

nmikmik said:
.. of all the vehicles (driven only the LEAF) I still like the Spark the best mainly because of the lease price for what it offers.

Since you are looking to lease, I encourage you to go test drive every EV you possibly can. Others such as the Fiat, Nissan, Honda, Smart, Mitsubishi, Ford, etc. have similar deals if you lease for 3 years making the sticker price irrelevant.

I would not be concerned at all about DC charging for a leased vehicle unless there is already a compatible charger where you need it. It will likely take a few years for the infrastructure to reach a useful level, at which time your lease is over. If you need to be able to quick charge, something with a CHAdeMO connector might be a better choice at the moment as those chargers are available.

I love my Spark, it was the best choice for me, but your needs might be different. What I have discovered is that 95% of my trips don't need any charging beyond what I get overnight at home. Readily accessible public L2 and quick chargers or a 200 mile battery pack might give me another 3%. My toys just don't fit well into the Spark for the other 2%.

Chocula said:
nmikmik said:
.. of all the vehicles (driven only the LEAF) I still like the Spark the best mainly because of the lease price for what it offers.

Since you are looking to lease, I encourage you to go test drive every EV you possibly can. Others such as the Fiat, Nissan, Honda, Smart, Mitsubishi, Ford, etc. have similar deals if you lease for 3 years making the sticker price irrelevant.

I would not be concerned at all about DC charging for a leased vehicle unless there is already a compatible charger where you need it. It will likely take a few years for the infrastructure to reach a useful level, at which time your lease is over. If you need to be able to quick charge, something with a CHAdeMO connector might be a better choice at the moment as those chargers are available.

I love my Spark, it was the best choice for me, but your needs might be different. What I have discovered is that 95% of my trips don't need any charging beyond what I get overnight at home. Readily accessible public L2 and quick chargers or a 200 mile battery pack might give me another 3%. My toys just don't fit well into the Spark for the other 2%.

I charged at a public station for the first time the other day in Pasadena....free! I had 95 miles of range but topped up free to 110 miles. What a great feeling...free charging, free parking, dent free parking spot!

Chocula said:
I just clocked my miles today going almost the furthest as I ever go, came exactly to 84 miles, mostly freeway driving. There is no QC that way, but if I went the opposite direction, I'd have that one station in the middle of San Diego available, assuming it's working 100% of the time. It seems it never works 100% nor is it possible.
The good thing is, that I have another vehicle to drive if I need to go further, the bad thing is that it's a V8 with premium gas...

nmikmik said:
I just clocked my miles today going almost the furthest as I ever go, came exactly to 84 miles, mostly freeway driving. There is no QC that way, but if I went the opposite direction, I'd have that one station in the middle of San Diego available, assuming it's working 100% of the time. It seems it never works 100% nor is it possible.
The good thing is, that I have another vehicle to drive if I need to go further, the bad thing is that it's a V8 with premium gas...

Depending on the elevation changes and your driving habits, 84 miles is reasonable on a single charge. If even a 110 outlet is available where you park during your trip, that would provide some extra miles as a buffer. Each hour my Spark is plugged in to a 110 outlet will give me approximately 4 extra miles at 8 amps, or 6 miles at 12 amps. You might find you end up driving a little slower to extend your range on the days you are doing your longer trips, depending on the availability of some sort of power at your destination.

You still have the option of taking your other car until you feel comfortable going all electric on any particular trip. In the time we have had our Spark, we have used our gas powered cars only when we needed 2 separate vehicles and for the dogs vet appointment.

Haha,

I don't blame you for not wanting to mess up your Sparky :)

Always a battle between me and wife, in who's car do the doggies go.

Wait ..... you don't care about the Sticker Price ???!!!

You pay SALES TAX on a lease (at least here you do) as you would if you Bought it (my reason never to lease).

So the Sticker Price IS a big deal

tigger19687 said:

You pay SALES TAX on a lease (at least here you do) as you would if you Bought it (my reason never to lease).

True, perhaps I should have said sticker price it is less of a concern when similar lease deals are offered, but no nearly so much as if I were purchasing the car. It still comes down to total cost of ownership compared to the value provided. While I might rule out the Honda Fit EV as too expensive to purchase with its $36,625 MSRP (if that were even possible), I would seriously consider one if I were leasing with its $0 down, $259/month, and unlimited miles. Tax, title, licencing fees, insurance, options, negotiated discounts, etc all still need to be considered, but things end up reasonably close for several EV's that are not close at all when considering just sticker price.

tigger19687 said:

From what I am reading, in most states (including California where I and the OP live), you only pay sales tax on the part of the vehicle you use. Sales tax gets added to your monthly payment rather than an upfront cost like when purchasing. I bought my spark outright so I can't say how tax on a lease works for sure. Maybe someone who has a lease can clarify.

Yes I can,
I am currently leasing another vehicle and the amount of tax is dependent on the county you are living in and the amount of your lease monthly payment where that tax is added to.

SteveC5088 said:
nmikmik said:
Haha,

nmikmik: I would call them or go by and explicitly ask them to drop the tire pressure for you to experience it. They can always re-inflate them after the test drive.

Are you sure you even need DC charging? Depending on your needs and driving habits, charging overnight at home is all that is needed. Some people can also charge at work, so that helps more. Unless you are going to be driving over 35 miles away from home with it, you will never need the DC charging. I bought my Spark specifically without the fast charging option because it was an additional $750.

Another option, but maybe higher price range, is the Chevy Volt. It has a 40 mile range on the battery, but if you need to take longer trips, it has the gas engine that generates electricity and (sometimes) also powers the wheels in a hybrid-like mode. You can drive across the country in a Volt just like a gasoline-run car, but around home, it runs strictly on battery power. (I got a Volt first, then added the Spark EV.)

Whatever you get, you will love electric driving.
I think I am starting to see the light Steve ;)
I have a single DC charge station in San Diego, I don't like the 2LTs with the "leather" seats and no blue accents on the seats, I also am unable to find the 1LT with DC charger anyway.

Looks like I am leaning towards 1LT with no charger.
What else am I loosing by going with 1LT - a 3 year OnStar? something else the salesperson was telling me, I just forgot :oops:

I was considering the Volt before, but I really prefer to go with as close to zero emission as possible.

nmikmik said:
Looks like I am leaning towards 1LT with no charger.
What else am I loosing by going with 1LT - a 3 year OnStar? something else the salesperson was telling me, I just forgot :oops:

The only difference is the "leatherette" seats and the steering wheel cover. Both trim levels include 3 years of OnStar, etc. We like the cloth seats better and chose the 1LT intentionally. They do have 1LT's with the fast charger option, we have one in blue. Once we figured out exactly what we wanted and were willing to pay, I started calling dealers and asking, can you get me this exact car for this price. Most said no, one said yes (I quit calling after the yes). I gave the salesman who I went for my original test drive with an opportunity to match, he could not so I went with the other dealer. They had to trade to get one with the DC fast charge, but they found one at another dealership.

Mine was a purchase and I anticipate still having the vehicle once the compatible DC fast chargers are more prevalent, but that will probably not happen for a few years.

Good choice Chocula,

You got the exact car I was looking for, but now with me doing a lease instead of the purchase, makes the DC less important.

Back