Thoughts on an older new car

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elpwr

I am looking at a 2014 spark EV with 1300 miles on it. My main concern with this car is the build date. The VIN sticker shows that it was assembled in January 2013. This means, that although it only has 1300 miles, the battery is 2 1/2 years old. We know that battery life is almost as much a function of age as it is usage.

Any thoughts on the purchase of an old new car like this? It looks like this car could be bought immediately for about $15,500. But I'm thinking at least $1000 less than that due to its age.

I'm out of the three state area so I have no choice but to buy used. Too bad, because a new one with the full tax credit would not be much, if any, more expensive.

elpwr said:
We know that battery life is almost as much a function of age as it is usage.

Absolutely untrue. A battery stored properly (mid-range state of charge) will have very little calendar aging compared to a battery that is regularly cycled, assuming the same temperature exposures.

Also, note that the 2014 had more usable capacity than the 2015 due to the battery change from A123 to LG Chem. Therefore, even if the 2014 had lost 5% (it wouldn't due to calendar aging alone) it would still be about the same usable capacity as a new 2015. I don't think you've got anything to worry about buying a low mileage 2014 compared to 2015 when it comes to battery capacity.

The only thing to really consider and place value on, in my opinion, is that the battery warranty starts from the date the car is sold. A unit sold in mid-2013 will have the warranty expire 2 years before a car purchased new in mid-2015.

Bryce

Sorry, I don't accept the fact that the statement is "absolutely untrue". An uncycled, fully charged or discharged lithium ion battery will lose approximately 20% of its capacity per year. If kept at approximately 50% charge, and not exposed to temperature extremes, it's capacity loss is reduced to around 3% per year.

I have no way of knowing if this 2 1/2 year-old battery has been kept at proper storage voltage and temperature. Maybe it has, maybe it has not. There is definitely some battery degradation in this amount of time. The question is how much.

elpwr said:
Sorry, I don't accept the fact that the statement is "absolutely untrue". An uncycled, fully charged or discharged lithium ion battery will lose approximately 20% of its capacity per year. If kept at approximately 50% charge, and not exposed to temperature extremes, it's capacity loss is reduced to around 3% per year.

I have no way of knowing if this 2 1/2 year-old battery has been kept at proper storage voltage and temperature. Maybe it has, maybe it has not. There is definitely some battery degradation in this amount of time. The question is how much.

You still won't find anywhere close to those numbers (20% capacity loss per year) with A123 cells, which a 2014 Spark EV uses, unless you've stored it at 100°F or higher continuously AND at 100% SOC. Clearly, that's not realistic.

My other points remain...the A123 battery had more capacity to start with, so it will probably be pretty close in capacity to the newer, smaller 2015 battery and shouldn't be a determining factor. If your biggest concern is the battery, and you're buying rather than leasing, then the newer car will have the longest warranty remaining and thus the safest bet.

Bryce

More importantly with the used Spark, does it retain the original 8 year/100k battery warranty? Does it have DCFC?

My experience with A123 is that it's degradation is mostly calendar life more than cycle life so that would be a concern for me too. I bought a new 2014 that had been sitting on the lot for 500 days though....(09/13 build date)

Back