Warranty service outside of the sales states

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elpwr

Earlier someone had posted a statement from Chevrolet corporate stating there would be "very limited service for Spark EV's outside of the sales states".

This concerned me as it conflicts with a statement I got from a local Chevrolet dealer prior to purchasing the car. I have no real service issues with the car so far, but I took it to the local dealer here in FL this morning with 1100 miles on it. The service writer put the car data into the system and assured me that warranty and service work can be done at their dealership. And he introduced me to the Volt technician who confirm that he could service the car.

This may vary by dealership, but I'm reassured that I can get warranty/repair service from my local dealer. 900mi away from MD and about 2400 from CA, OR.

I posted that a while back.
I have since bought one and brought it to the middle of nowhere.
I had the safety inspection done (for licensing) at the dealership that serviced my Volt.
The service manager was happy to see one and some of the sales people came out to look at it.
He said servicing should not be a problem and worst case is if it takes some unique tool there would be a wait to get the tool.

BTW, elp, what issue brought you into your dealer? Mine has been flawless so far !

I was actually looking for an excuse to take it in to confirm service availability.

It has a very infrequent "pop" from the front suspension on a sharp bump. Just one pop. Minor issue and hard to duplicate - I removed both front wheels and checked bolt tightness on the strut mounts, lower a arm, roll bar and steering rack. All looked ok. Dealer rechecked these, we agreed to take no further action unless it gets worse.

I asked about the latest software updates and the tech said they would check mine if I was having any issues. I couldn't honestly say I was - so no action here either. Ok by me. Car has been nearly flawless so far. And I wouldn't be suprized if it stays that way for quite a while.

I have noticed some wind noise and a slight rustling from the passenger front door area. More pronounced than on the driver side. Have not tracked it down yet. Anyone else noticed something similar?

NORTON said:
I posted that a while back.
I have since bought one and brought it to the middle of nowhere.
I had the safety inspection done (for licensing) at the dealership that serviced my Volt.
The service manager was happy to see one and some of the sales people came out to look at it.
He said servicing should not be a problem and worst case is if it takes some unique tool there would be a wait to get the tool.

BTW, elp, what issue brought you into your dealer? Mine has been flawless so far !

I can add my 2 pence:

Bought my 2014 Spark EV new from a Chevy dealer in MI. He got it from a Chevy dealer in Calif. Shipped it to Ga.
Car wouldn't DC fast charge, so it went to Ellis Chevrolet here in Atlanta. Ellis had a used non-DC fast charge capable Spark EV in inventory for nearly two years, and months before my purchase I enquired of the Service Dept if they would work on another Spark EV if I brought it to them, and they said "yes!".

After 82 days of attempted repairs, they finally solved the puzzle. The battery heater was throwing error codes that only a GM engineer from Detroit could detect with special software/hardware. Once that was confirmed, they replaced the battery heater (and inverter because the GM engineer didn't like the data it was sending), the car would DC fast charge.

The car now performs flawlessly! I've taken it on two day-trips within the state of Ga. It can fast charge multiple times in a day and not even break a sweat. My 2013 Leaf would have been a smoking hole by then...

Hat tip to Ellis Chevy for sticking with it.

-Bob K.

Back