What car would you electrify?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsca72

When Chevy decided to electrify the Spark, they created the perfect storm (& I mean that in a very good way). The small body of the Spark allowed a quick, nimble car. I began wondering what other cars would make good little EVs if electrified. Here's the list I've started (in no particular order). Which cars would you electrify?

1. Nissan Versa Note- Nissan already has the technology with the Leaf. It would be nice to see them extend the line an electrified Versa Note hatchback.

2. Toyota truck- My Spark is such a workhorse, I know an electrified small truck would be very versatile. Even though I think it's a great idea, it doesn't look like Toyota will be the company to produce one.

You can tell I don't have the budget for expensive cars. :) Anyway, I'm pleased with the companies that are staying behind their EV products. Nissan and Tesla lead the way. Fiat has done a great job with the Fiat 500e. I'm looking forward to trying the electrified Golf for fun. One of these days I'll try to find a BMW to drive. Even though Chevy could be doing a lot more to promote the SparkEV, I am glad to hear rumors of the 2015 model. I'm disappointed with Honda and Toyota for letting the FitEV and RAV4 EV fizzle.

So, what cars would you electrify?

I would love to see a range extended electric small 4x4 SUV. My CR-V has been a great fit and I don't need anything larger. The upcoming Mitsubishi Outlander is pretty close, but I am a little concerned about ground clearance. A small range extender like in the i3 REX on a Rav 4 EV would be great. Even better would be a REX that runs on the propane so the fuel does not go stale. Ideally it would have space for 2 BBQ sized tanks that could be removed for extra cargo space an weight savings when not needed, and also be used in my BBQ.

Next would be an RV with a 200 mi range, an on-board charger optimized for common camp ground circuits and a DC Quick Charge port. The traction battery could run everything for several days when you did not need the full range for traveling. Since this would be in the luxury RV market, an extra $50K for batteries would not be so far out of line. A nice flat roof for solar panels, and the ability to tow my Spark EV.

Chocula said:
Even better would be a REX that runs on the propane so the fuel does not go stale. Ideally it would have space for 2 BBQ sized tanks that could be removed for extra cargo space an weight savings when not needed, and also be used in my BBQ.

I thought about Hank Hill when reading this description :lol: I actually really like the idea though, I think this would be great marketing for EVs too, to break into that "manly man" segment of SUV/truck drivers.

Seriously though, another vote for a light duty pickup truck. Something like a Tacoma or Ranger. It has been rumored that Tesla's next vehicle after the Model III will be a truck, and I might consider passing over the Model III if this is the case.

I'd love to see some nice sporty hatchbacks electrified but kept true to their roots as far as handling and looks go...Renault Clio, Megane, Abarth 500, a Ferrari 458 with Concept One tech in it.

Mazda Miata! I only need a 2-seater for commuting, and a smaller car like that would be really fast and nimble if it were all electric. I lost my Miata when we got our Volt. But then I inherited a Passat wagon (a mom-wagon) I HAD to find another car, and the Spark was it. But I'd really like something more sporty. I just don't need that back seat.

The forthcoming Skoda fabia.

The new ALFA Giulietta.

Or, in my wildest dreams, restore an old Renault Dauphine using Spark drive components. Call it the Henney Megawatt. As the old Dauphine only weighed 1500 pounds, wow - what a fast deathtrap. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

TonyWilliams said:
jsca72 said:
Electric Miata? Sounds fun, fun, fun!

http://www.evmiata.com

I couldn't afford to do this, but the idea is intriguing. (The price of the car + the cost of the kit + the cost of someone to put it together for me since I know nothing of workings of cars would be just too much.)

One of the cars from my past that would have been fun in an electric model was an '87 Honda Accord. I did have a manual transmission in my old car that had a fun, satisfying short throw through the gears. Even with having to give up shifting gears, I think the car would have excelled as an electric.

Or what about a Volvo p1800?
(Though not electric, here is a great concept car based on this classic.)
http://iliketowastemytime.com/2012/05/12/volvo-p1800-concept-car

Here's the car I want electric:

dsc_0580_w600_h399.jpg

old thread but... having owned 914s and about 10 Miatas, I can't imagine driving a Miata w/out a tranny, that was more than half the fun...

but something the size of a 5 door Mazda 3 would be pretty handy.

Back