What's the average electricity bill after getting the Spark?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poseymvp

Hi,

I'm just curious how much have your electricity bill gone up after getting the Spark EV? I live in Bay Area and we have PG@E rates..

Thx

Poseymvp said:
Hi,

I'm just curious how much have your electricity bill gone up after getting the Spark EV? I live in Bay Area and we have PG@E rates..

Thx

It all depends on your usage and your rate plan. E1, E9, etc.

I charge at night, and on my E6 rate Off Peak is 8.5 cents per KWh. I would pay a lot more to charge in the daytime, except on weekends. Even weekends now have some Partial Peak hours now, so I avoid those too.

I have not had my spark long enough to know.

But I do have a Volt that I got back in June and have noticed an increase of around $30 a month with the Volt. I have PGE in Oregon and our rates are around .11 cents per KWH this includes all the taxes.

Certianly not certified accounting here, but in the first full of having the EV, I monitored my utility monthly billing cycle... here is what I learned:

I drove about 1,000 miles, and charged every night using a 240v charger. My electric bill increased ~$50 over the prior month when I did not have the vehicle.

The next month, I drove about the same number of miles and noticed only a $30. increase over the base month...

So, somewhere between $30-$50/month for me. Obviosly, there is other variability in my electrical use (although nothing major that I can think of, like use of A/C, etc.)... And in my 3rd full month I noticed an incerase over the base month of only ~$20, although my miles driven that month was only ~700.

I am on an Electric Vehicle rate plan, and set the EV to only charge at night (delayed departure for 6am)...

So at the high-end, it's about $0.05 (5 cents) per mile driven in electricity costs. Compare than to my previous gas vehicle, which was about $0.28 per mile in fuel cost alone, and it's a terrific deal! ;)

I drive about 45 miles a day and charge on my 240v after midnight. My bill is about $50-$60 more per month than it was.

Find out what your new PG&E EV rate is. Mine is 4-5 cents with 19 cent peak. No tiers only TOU which is 2-9 pm weekdays and 3-7 pm weekends/holidays. Nighttime is 4 cents. Best deal ever.

When you sign up PG&E wants your VIN - it's only for residential EV users and no one else.

Sparkler said:
It all depends on your usage and your rate plan. E1, E9, etc.
Yep.

iletric said:
Find out what your new PG&E EV rate is. Mine is 4-5 cents with 19 cent peak. No tiers only TOU which is 2-9 pm weekdays and 3-7 pm weekends/holidays. Nighttime is 4 cents. Best deal ever.

When you sign up PG&E wants your VIN - it's only for residential EV users and no one else.
Which schedule is that? I can't get anywhere close to that good a deal.

I'm on E-6 Smart. NONE of the tiers or times are 4-5 cents/kwh, and there are tiers.

The worst deal for me is to switch to the EVA plan. I posted a screenshot of the estimator output not long ago at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=337391#p337391.

There is an estimator page at http://www.pge.com/cgi-bin/pevcalculator/PEV, but there's no Spark EV there. You could probably pick a Leaf or Fit EV as a decent proxy for it. Don't pick a Model S or esp. the Fisker Karma, Coda or Rav4 EV, as they're less efficient.

I feel like I'm ready this wrong, but looked at SoCal Edison to see how their EV rates stack up -

If I do nothing, I'm looking at .13/kwh - 24/7
I I switch to their EV/Home plan I only pay .09 between midnight and 6AM, which sounds good, .12 between 6AM and 10AM, .12 between 6PM and midnight, also slightly better, and then a whopping .28 during the day(!).
Rough napkin calculation shows me that by using around 4 kwh during I would more than offset the savings by charging at night -
Please feel to correct my math, or at least apply a little precision and tell me I'm not crazy for just staying on the basic plan...

They claim they use the same meter-
My father on the other hand spent $100 for a special "time of use" meter - not 100% sure what it does for him. I believe that it ties into his roof solar panels, so that during the day he is selling power back to the grid at a much higher rate than he's being charged at night.

NomadMac said:
Is a separate meter required? Should I be running my pool pump at night?

You know, i bet switching to the term of use plan and running the pool pump on "off peak" will dramatically cut your power bill. You should look into it. I have the PG&E term of use plan for EV's and I only have one meter, but PG&E estimator page i save $400 per year on this plan compared to flat rate option.

Back