which level 2 evse to get and where to buy it

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skbbks

I bought a 2014 Spark EV today and need to get the faster level 2 charger. I rent so it needs to be portable. Looking around
some can switch between 120 and 240 volts, any particular model that y'all would recommend? Also what about an
plug adapter so it can work with a 3-prong 120 volt outlet? Have old style 10-30 plugs for level 2 charging.

I recommend opening up a EVGo account, if they have those charging stations in your area. Their fast charger can charge your car in about 25 min. Also look up the ChargePoint app on your phone. They have many charging stations in the area.

Clipper Creek has all the models you may want, great quality, reasonable prices
https://www.clippercreek.com/

Aerovironment Turbocord. SparkEV can only handle 12A at 120V and 16A at 240V, which is what Turbocord is spec'd.

https://www.amazon.com/AeroVironment-TurboCord-Plug-Charger-UL-Listed/dp/B00J8O1XQE

Amazon ?
Yes, get a 120/240V EVSE and build the adapter cables you might need to make it portable.

Plugshare is a good app once you filter it.
But you will still need accts with whatever public charging networks that are in your area. Unless you are sure you will never want to charge away from home.... :?

You do know about the finger tap dance to get it to charge at 12A on 120V? At every shut down.... :(

Thanks y'all. Couple other newbie questions.

Are there any places online that sell keyless entry fobs? I can only find ones for the gas Spark. Keys are always so expensive at the dealer.

Inside the charge port there's a little black plastic sleeve/placeholder/guard type thing. Prevents the charger from being plugged in. Easy enough to remove
just wondering what its purpose is.

skbbks said:
Inside the charge port there's a little black plastic sleeve/placeholder/guard type thing. Prevents the charger from being plugged in. Easy enough to remove
just wondering what its purpose is.

Ummm. That's news to me (the "Easy enough to remove" part). On *my* Spark, there is an orange plastic guard over the two DCFC (extremely high voltage/amperage) entry socket.

There's a round-ish J1772 socket (no guard) and below it there is an oval area with two holes for the DCFC.

Standard (no DCFC, just J1772) looks like this :

2014-Chevrolet-Spark-EV-Charging-Port-550x366.jpg

With DCFC looks like this :

charging-blog480.jpg

Mine has the fast charge option.

Here's the sleeve that was attached, has a part number of 3E0SH0104:

FYTIiGE.jpg

skbbks said:
>Mine has the fast charge option.

>>Here's the sleeve that was attached, has a part number of 3E0SH0104:
>So you got lucky. :D
Some buy a Spark EV and then later learn about the optional DCFC and what it means. :oops:

>>That part..... :?: Maybe it's a broken off piece of the J1772 connector from some EVSE.

Yeah I would not have bought it without the fast charge option. There's only one dc charger in my area but I wanted
it for future proofing or if I move.

Broken off piece makes sense.

OP, I went with Bosch power max due to the rebate that came with 2016s.

I called Bosch to order.

If you plan to get another EV I would get a 30A Or higher EVSE so you don't have to redo in the future (especially if you don't already have an electric dryer 240v outlet and need to setup a new circuit anyway)

Otherwise without the rebate I was looking getting one from clipper creek

Back