2106 Spark EV Bike Carrier

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEKTWIK

Hey there Spark community. I am looking for a rear mount bike carrier that would accommodate one or two bikes. I have been all over the Internet and forums but can't find a simple recommendation. Anyone out there have any good suggestions?
Thanks! Jeff

I've read the discussions here about people trying to get a hitch-mount bike carrier. It just doesn't seem feasible at this point for the Spark EV. A couple of months ago I finally decided to get a bike rack instead of using the gas-burner every time I wanted to move a bike and went with this Allen Sport model. https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports...UTF8&qid=1469455215&sr=8-3&keywords=bike+rack

The straps do put a bit of pressure on the elongated roof spoiler, but I mounted it as high as I could and I've noticed no flexing of the spoiler with two bikes on it. This weekend I had a tandem on it (had to remove the wheels so it didn't stick out two feet on either side) It's very easy to remove and reinstall. Maybe not the perfect solution, but it's working for me.

So pleased to get your response. Many thanks. I have just the one bike. I am not adept at removing the wheels. Do you think that in my circumstances this would work without chipping the paint or putting unnecessary pressure on the spoiler with the wheels on?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I removed the wheels from the tandem because it's almost twice as long as a regular bike and would stick out way beyond the sides of the car. For regular single-person bikes it's no problem to leave the wheels on.

Like I said I've only used it for a couple of months and a couple dozen trips with bikes on it, but so far it's working great with no signs of paint damage or any undue stress on the spoiler.

This bike rack (and I'd assume any similar one that straps onto the car) is designed to fit many different cars, including full-size SUVs, so you'll have a lot of extra material in the straps once you get them sized right for a Spark. I use the extra from the strap to the bottom of the hatch to loop through the bike frame and tie onto the carrier to prevent the bike from swinging in and out in transit.

I've been looking for a way to use our hitch mounted rack for a while - but as stated here, there's no (easy) solution at this time. I finally broke down and purchased a Saris rack that a few other people recommended in an earlier "bike carrier" thread. I found one on craigslist for ~$50. The other tread recommended a 2-bike rack & we got the 3-place rack. So far - so good.

3 bike rack https://www.amazon.com/Saris-Bones-Bike-Trunk-Black/dp/B00AW6XL8K/

2 bike rack https://www.amazon.com/Saris-Bones-Bike-Trunk-Black/dp/B00BCLAZJC/

We'll probably only use 2 of the 3 slots so as not to risk damage to the spoiler, but the 3-bike rack is more commonly available than the 2-bike ones.

The Saris rack looks pretty good. Has anyone tried carrying 3 bikes with a rear rack? Wondering if the spoiler can handle it...

FWIW, I was able to fit a 24in beach cruiser in the trunk with the rear seats folded, hatch door closed, wheels intact. Just turn the front wheel perpendicular so it would slot down on the rear foot well.

Back