Level 2 Charger recommendation

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cheapest/easiest way is to simply buy an electric dryer cord for $20 and connect it to the Bosch unit. this is exactly what I did. Boom portable evse. The three wire is a 10-30 plug and matches the 10-30 receptacle that my dryer uses. So easy. This is another advantage of the 16A unit. The parts of a typical electric dryer are all compatible and easy to find. The higher current "future proof" units add zero charging speed increase now and require significantly more electrical work up front- all for a future car that I don't own.

Next project is to add a dpdt switch to select the dryer or evse to prevent both from running at the same time. Also pretty easy.

sparkchewbacca said:
The cheapest/easiest way is to simply buy an electric dryer cord for $20 and connect it to the Bosch unit. this is exactly what I did. Boom portable evse. The three wire is a 10-30 plug and matches the 10-30 receptacle that my dryer uses. So easy. This is another advantage of the 16A unit. The parts of a typical electric dryer are all compatible and easy to find. The higher current "future proof" units add zero charging speed increase now and require significantly more electrical work up front- all for a future car that I don't own.

Next project is to add a dpdt switch to select the dryer or evse to prevent both from running at the same time. Also pretty easy.

Well, can you tell me exactly which model I need to get? Do I need to call them about the $500 rebate? My concern is that my car is outside in a driveway, behind my ICE car. I don't want to have to move my ICE car every morning to pull out my EV and do the whole car-juggle. But that means I need a good 25-30 feet to reach the far-side of the EV, one car back, and that's if I get the outlet installed at ground level on the corner of the garage. I think 25 feet might do it. Singe the Bosch is only 20 feet, (assuming I have the right one), then I can really hang it on the wall. Also, when I go to friends houses, the have their dryers inside, off the garage, and my car will be outside the garage, again. So, it's like I need a 20' cord from the wall to the until, then have the 20' to the car, with the unit sitting on the ground, outside in the rain, potentially. Is this a going to work? Even if I can make the 20' cable work and be able to mount the unit low on the garage corner, (by parking my ICE car somewhere else), there will clearly be times when I need more than 20' when traveling, so the questions still stands.

My thinking is to go with the Juicebox 40-amp and a 25' RV extension cord with locking adapters, and then find an adapter to get me to 14-50 or 10-30 for dryer outlets. But that's probably close to $700 worth. I'm hoping you tell me the Bosch will work the way I need it to here. ;) Thanks!!

My guess is the 25' Bosch: http://smile.amazon.com/Bosch-EL-51254-Electric-Vehicle-Charging/dp/B00FA44WX2/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1423203281&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=bosch+evse or the 18' version: http://smile.amazon.com/Bosch-EL-51253-Electric-Vehicle-Charging/dp/B00FM7B1AO/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1423203281&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=bosch+evse along with a 10' dryer cord: http://www.amazon.com/PETRA-90-1088-3-Wire-Range-10-Foot/dp/B001DICWSG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423203473&sr=8-2&keywords=3+wire+10%27+dryer+cord ??? I can make 28' work, I think, but 35' would be nice. I'll mount the unit on a wooden fence and run the plug over to the garage.

OK, so I talked to Bosch - the $500 rebate still exists. It can be applied to any EVSE. I'm thinking the 30amp one, for $600 : http://smile.amazon.com/Bosch-EL-51254-Electric-Vehicle-Charging/dp/B00FA44WX2/ref=pd_sim_auto_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ZB7CH2NM5CS48KG2QS5 and a 25' welders extension cord with locking adapters: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BNZGCS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER . Then I'll rubber coat the cord at the locking adapters, since this will be a "permanent" extension, using liquid rubber: http://www.amazon.com/Performix-12213-Plasti-Dip-Black/dp/B00I9SK8XY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8 . My main thing will be getting the electrician to connect a 30 amp "RV" plug to the Bosch unit - and adding an RV outlet to the OUTSIDE of the garage. I hope that's not going to be a problem... Also, I'm a little worried about whether the electrician will make me get a permit for this, (I'm in CA, San Mateo County, and not sure if I need one, or not).

The biggest confusion is what type of adapter(s) I need... I expect to be using dryer plugs, which can be 10-30 or 14-30, as I understand it, but they also seem to come in a variety of styles. Or maybe I'm wrong on that. Any guidance would be great. Thanks!

I have the Bosch Power Max 30 Amp with the 18' cord. If I had to do it over, I would probably have gone with the 16 amp model with the 12' cord as I don't really need the extra length and the cables are much thinner and easier to work with. At the time I was thinking "future proof" and wanted the longer heavy cables, even thought my car cannot take advantage of it.

I would not describe the Bosh Power Max as portable, regardless of any connectors you choose to put on it. There is a lot of extra plastic and the cables are stiff and heavy. When I first bought my Spark, I was trying to make sure I could charge under every possible scenario. Now that reality has had a chance to set in, finding a public EVSE is easier than finding an outlet that you would need more than the level 1 EVSE that is included with the car. Since that time, I charge at home about 90% of the time and use public EVSE's the remaining 10%. The level 1 EVSE that came with the car has not left the trunk since my level 2 was installed.

Unless you lived in an area where public charging was non existent and camp grounds plentiful (or you enjoy the adventure like Tony), there is little need for a portable EVSE. I find the range to be very predictable once you get a bit of experience how various conditions such as the weather impact your range. When I have gone to friends who are beyond my round trip range, I find it much easier to stop at a mall with a public EVSE at some point along the route and do a bit of shopping or get a bite to eat while gaining the extra miles I will need.

Get the Bosch (because of the rebate) and securely mount it at your residence were it will be the most convenient for you to use. Since this will be outdoors, it is worth the effort to hard wire it and be done. If after a few months, you feel that you need portable, consider something small and light such as the AV TurboCord, then make or buy only the adapters you actually need. It will supply 16 amps which is the max the Spark can pull anyway.

Chocula said:
I have the Bosch Power Max 30 Amp with the 18' cord. If I had to do it over, I would probably have gone with the 16 amp model with the 12' cord as I don't really need the extra length and the cables are much thinner and easier to work with. At the time I was thinking "future proof" and wanted the longer heavy cables, even thought my car cannot take advantage of it.

I would not describe the Bosh Power Max as portable, regardless of any connectors you choose to put on it. There is a lot of extra plastic and the cables are stiff and heavy. When I first bought my Spark, I was trying to make sure I could charge under every possible scenario. Now that reality has had a chance to set in, finding a public EVSE is easier than finding an outlet that you would need more than the level 1 EVSE that is included with the car. Since that time, I charge at home about 90% of the time and use public EVSE's the remaining 10%. The level 1 EVSE that came with the car has not left the trunk since my level 2 was installed.

Unless you lived in an area where public charging was non existent and camp grounds plentiful (or you enjoy the adventure like Tony), there is little need for a portable EVSE. I find the range to be very predictable once you get a bit of experience how various conditions such as the weather impact your range. When I have gone to friends who are beyond my round trip range, I find it much easier to stop at a mall with a public EVSE at some point along the route and do a bit of shopping or get a bite to eat while gaining the extra miles I will need.

Get the Bosch (because of the rebate) and securely mount it at your residence were it will be the most convenient for you to use. Since this will be outdoors, it is worth the effort to hard wire it and be done. If after a few months, you feel that you need portable, consider something small and light such as the AV TurboCord, then make or buy only the adapters you actually need. It will supply 16 amps which is the max the Spark can pull anyway.

All good info, though my scenario is a little different.

1) I split my times between a rental cottage and my home, which is 78 miles away. I will barely make it without stopping.
2) I don't want to install two hardwired units, and my main place of living will be the rental cottage - so therefore I don't want to install anything permanently.
3) I intend to get a Bolt when it comes out, and I figure it will need a 30amp EVSE.
4) All of my friends and family live roughly 50 miles from me, minimum. There are no DCFC's in their area. But they have dryer's in their garages...

Having said that, you make an excellent point about thinner/lighter cables on the 16amp model, and that may make me think twice about getting the 30amp - but I will still be turning the 16amp version into something portable. The only other portable options are just way too expensive. I have to make the Bosch pluggable anyway, as I don't want to have to pay to uninstall it when I move out. I will have to buy a new "portable" 30amp EVSE when I get the Bolt, but... maybe the price will come down by then. Thank you for this; you probably saved me $100 and a bunch of hassle carting around heavy, un-bendable, cables.

Hard wired does not mean permanent. I just means you need to turn off the breaker and use a screw driver to disconnect. More effort than pulling a plug out, but certainly not permanent. The wires to the unit would typically be left in place and capped, but the unit is self can go with you when you move. Hard wired is also less attractive to thieves.

Just because the Bolt/SoulEV/Leaf, etc may be able to utilize a more amps, does not mean it needs them. If your car is sitting there connected to the charger for 10 hours every night, does it really matter if it takes 2 hours or 1 hour to put back the amount of energy you used that day? Depending on how much you drive and how your utilities are structured, the included level 1 charger may be sufficient.

Connecting to a fixed point is way less hassle than dragging cords out every night. Having a separate charger live at each of your homes is inevitable. Ambition may allow you to hold out for awhile, but eventually you will end up with one for each place.

For the first 2 months I owned my Spark EV, I used the included level 1 EVSE connected to an extension cord, charging at 8 amps. While this worked OK, it was far from ideal. The biggest issue was the extension cord being in the way. I had switched to a Time of Use plan and had only 6 hours to charge each night at the cheapest rates. Had I been on a flat rate plan, the car would have had plenty of time to fully recharge. Limiting to 8 amps and 6 hours per night meant that I did not always have a full battery in the morning, but I always had enough.

In the end, you will find a solution that works for you. Enjoy your new Spark EV.

Chocula said:
Hard wired does not mean permanent. I just means you need to turn off the breaker and use a screw driver to disconnect. More effort than pulling a plug out, but certainly not permanent. The wires to the unit would typically be left in place and capped, but the unit is self can go with you when you move. Hard wired is also less attractive to thieves.

Just because the Bolt/SoulEV/Leaf, etc may be able to utilize a more amps, does not mean it needs them. If your car is sitting there connected to the charger for 10 hours every night, does it really matter if it takes 2 hours or 1 hour to put back the amount of energy you used that day? Depending on how much you drive and how your utilities are structured, the included level 1 charger may be sufficient.

Connecting to a fixed point is way less hassle than dragging cords out every night. Having a separate charger live at each of your homes is inevitable. Ambition may allow you to hold out for awhile, but eventually you will end up with one for each place.

For the first 2 months I owned my Spark EV, I used the included level 1 EVSE connected to an extension cord, charging at 8 amps. While this worked OK, it was far from ideal. The biggest issue was the extension cord being in the way. I had switched to a Time of Use plan and had only 6 hours to charge each night at the cheapest rates. Had I been on a flat rate plan, the car would have had plenty of time to fully recharge. Limiting to 8 amps and 6 hours per night meant that I did not always have a full battery in the morning, but I always had enough.

In the end, you will find a solution that works for you. Enjoy your new Spark EV.

Well, the reality is that I rent my home out, and may be selling it at some point either this year or next year - or many years from now; not real sure. But, I do work during some weeks up near the house at a friends place, and I'm not going to install something at her house. So, a Jesla or TurboCord would be ideal and solve all my problems - except they're so damned expensive - and not rebate.

I just talked to the electrician and he won't open up the Bosch to install a long tail on it with a plug, so I'm stuck with hardwired, anyway. That's fine. I'll just have to hope the fast charger in Berkeley is not broken or busy and maybe I can get by with the trickle charger while at my friends, since I will be staying there overnight. When visiting other friends - 50 miles away - I'll have to do the whole get a ride from/to the local Level 2 charger, or hang out at the house for 5 hours every time I go there... Really wish there were more fast chargers around. Only alternative is to blow at least $650 on a portable Level 2 cord. Given the adapters and the length of cord I think I'll need, I'm looking at upwards of $1,400 for a Jesla. That's insane. These things should be about $200, tops.

I just stumbled onto the Bosch Power Xpress - adjustable power settings from 12, 16, 24, and 30 amps. And it's PORTABLE. It's $1,000, but the $500 credit applies, so it's really "just" $500 for a quality unit. Anyone have one of these? I was looking at the install guide and it says it's hardwire/portable indoors and hardwire only outdoors. Yet they tout it as being up to "extreme weather" conditions. On can use a covered outlet, no? I mean, this is what you'd be using at an RV site, right? The other disturbing thing is if you want to actually USE it as a portable device, you have to DRILL A HOLE IN IT and install the wire and 6-xx plug yourself, with the whole grommet and strain relief clamp and all that. WTF is this? A DIY kit? My electrician won't want to drill holes in this $1,000 piece of equipment. He told me as much already.

I'm hoping this is not for real, and that I can order it "assembled". The only positive in DIY is that I would get a 15 foot cord instead of the 1 footer it comes with.

edit: (Oops, I think I answered the post at the bottom of page 1).

I have seen it elsewhere that any 240 volt installation outdoors must be hardwired. But that doesn't make it a fact. You would need to ask an electrician.

I think electricians will install a circuit without getting a permit, but you would need to ask. A permit will certainly add to the cost of the installation.

If the electricians you talk to tell you that you need a hard-wired setup, have them do the installation, but add a simple junction box just next to the EVSE unit that you can open and disconnect your unit and take it off the wall, so you can take it with you.

SteveC5088 said:
A permit will certainly add to the cost of the installation.

If the electricians you talk to tell you that you need a hard-wired setup, have them do the installation, but add a simple junction box just next to the EVSE unit that you can open and disconnect your unit

The run from our carport to the main service panel was nearly 100 feet so our city code department told the electrician he had to install a means of opening the circuit near the EVSE. He put in a small box with a pull out fuse assembly.

Our Bosch EVSE has a power on/off rocker switch on the side already, but I guess if it was on fire you would not want to touch that.

SteveC5088 said:
edit: (Oops, I think I answered the post at the bottom of page 1).

I have seen it elsewhere that any 240 volt installation outdoors must be hardwired. But that doesn't make it a fact. You would need to ask an electrician.

I think electricians will install a circuit without getting a permit, but you would need to ask. A permit will certainly add to the cost of the installation.

If the electricians you talk to tell you that you need a hard-wired setup, have them do the installation, but add a simple junction box just next to the EVSE unit that you can open and disconnect your unit and take it off the wall, so you can take it with you.

Seems to me I can just ask them to put in a receptacle for anything I want to plug in. Seems stupid that this thing is rated for "extreme weather" yet it has to be hard wired outside? I'll have a water tight receptacle, that should be all I need.

ezryder said:
Seems to me I can just ask them to put in a receptacle for anything I want to plug in. Seems stupid that this thing is rated for "extreme weather" yet it has to be hard wired outside? I'll have a water tight receptacle, that should be all I need.

This would work

I think I found the perfect solution to this whole charger thing... I just bought the Bosch Power Xpress. It has a switchable setting for 12, 16, 24, 30, and 32 amps and is "portable" or hardwired. (they don't like to call it portable but "movable" because they don't want to imply you can just plug it into any outlet that it will fit into.) It was $995, but then you subtract the $500 from GM... Best of all worlds. Future proof, portable, and I got to use the $500 credit.

My concern is exactly what plug to put on the thing. 6-20? 6-30? 14-50? I figure realistically, I'll be connecting to dryer outlets more than anything, at friends houses, but I can imagine needing an RV plug now and then, maybe. Thikning maybe the 6-30 and get one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEMA-L6-30R-to-NEMA-14-30P-14-50P-14-60P-240V-Outlet-Adapter-/151576927464

Any advice greatly appreciated!

ezryder said:
I think I found the perfect solution to this whole charger thing... I just bought the Bosch Power Xpress. It has a switchable setting for 12, 16, 24, 30, and 32 amps and is "portable" or hardwired. (they don't like to call it portable but "movable" because they don't want to imply you can just plug it into any outlet that it will fit into.) It was $995, but then you subtract the $500 from GM... Best of all worlds. Future proof, portable, and I got to use the $500 credit.

My concern is exactly what plug to put on the thing. 6-20? 6-30? 14-50? I figure realistically, I'll be connecting to dryer outlets more than anything, at friends houses, but I can imagine needing an RV plug now and then, maybe. Thikning maybe the 6-30 and get one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEMA-L6-30R-to-NEMA-14-30P-14-50P-14-60P-240V-Outlet-Adapter-/151576927464

Any advice greatly appreciated!

ez,
My Juicebox Premium EVSE came with a NEMA 14-50M. I bought their 3 adapters so that I could plug it into almost any outlet. The Juicebox auto-detects voltage, so it can do 120V/240V.

http://emotorwerks.com/products/onl...box-adapters-input-cables/related_product-201

-Bob K.

ezryder said:
sTeeve said:
ez,
My Juicebox Premium EVSE came with a NEMA 14-50M. I bought their 3 adapters so that I could plug it into almost any outlet. The Juicebox auto-detects voltage, so it can do 120V/240V.

http://emotorwerks.com/products/onl...box-adapters-input-cables/related_product-201

-Bob K.

Thanks - this is helpful. Though I'm curious which Juicebox you got- Classic or Pro Plus?

This one:
http://emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/product/show/201-juicebox-pro-plus-40

UPDATE: OK, well, I got the Bosch Power Xpress, cuz I thought it was "portable", but it's actually just "movable", and not meant to be carted around. It's also filled with resin, or something, so it's not serviceable. I also saw it has 3 reviews on Amazon - and all three are 1 star. Not a good sign. So, I needed up sending it back - which cost me $50 to ship and $25 for restocking fee - and talked to Mark who runs EVSE Upgrade and bought a Panasonic EVSE from him, with a bunch of adapters. Just got the unit tonight and wow - what a huge difference. Weighs nothing; looks great. He claims it's the best charger for the Spark EV (16 amp) out there.

I also want to say that he really took customer service to a new level; shipped it out within a few hours, if that, and I got it in just three days. I highly recommend them, and this unit - though I am assuming it's as good as he says it is. I will update once I've tried it out. It says Nissan on it, and I believe it came with a Leaf, but he "upgrades" the units. Another great thing is it is a total of 23'. Here's his info:

EVSE Upgrade
www.evseupgrade.com
509-651-8000

Our JESLA portable charge cable is not really direct competitors to EVSEupgrade, but if you have a 16 amp charger, that Nissan / Panasonic unit is a good one (2013 and newer... the 2011-2012 units are not recommended).

I actually have one. It's a hold-over from my Nissan LEAF days.

Our JESLA can also charge at 16 amps, 100 to 250 volts, and also 24 and 40 amps.

TonyWilliams said:
Our JESLA portable charge cable is not really direct competitors to EVSEupgrade, but if you have a 16 amp charger, that Nissan / Panasonic unit is a good one (2013 and newer... the 2011-2012 units are not recommended).

I actually have one. It's a hold-over from my Nissan LEAF days.

Our JESLA can also charge at 16 amps, 100 to 250 volts, and also 24 and 40 amps.
Hi Tony - Can you elaborate on the 2012 units not being recommended? That's what I have. What's the trouble with them? Thanks

Back