Psychology of Range Anxiety article

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interestingly, many drivers reported that they relished the problem solving aspect of the limited range, and saw it as a challenge

I think this is a key difference between a traditional and EV driver; it's not really as much range anxiety as it is a challenge to creatively get to your destination!

The whole concept of "Range Anxiety" seems to just be "Fear of the Unknown" by another name. I had more "Range Anxiety" before I purchased an EV. Would it meet my needs? What do I do if I run out of power? Will zombies attack? The more I drive my EV, the more confidence I have in its abilities, and the more willing I am to stretch it limits. Disneyland is 80 miles away; no problem, just arrive early to make sure I get a charger for the 6 hours I will need to charge for the return trip.

It used to be common practice to run any newly acquired vehicle completely out of gas so you had a better understanding of how far you can go before you actually run out. An electric vehicle is no different, except it is a bit more inconvenient to add that extra gallon or two at the side of the road. There is also a difference between running out of juice close to home vs far from home. This applies to ICE's as well. I am much more comfortable driving around with the little orange light on when I know the area, where I can refuel, what will be open, etc.

I don't see how range anxiety would affect most of the driving population. Many vehicles spend most of their service life with the low fuel light on. And getting $10 or $20 of fuel per stop at the pumps.

buickanddeere said:
I don't see how range anxiety would affect most of the driving population. Many vehicles spend most of their service life with the low fuel light on. And getting $10 or $20 of fuel per stop at the pumps.

:lol: I spend 75-100 at the Diesel pumps (but I don't go as often).
And my main anxiety is the Zoombies for sure ! And I wonder how well they will bounce off the Spark ...

buickanddeere said:
I disagree, it also depends on where geographically people live at and how "comfortable" they feel if they get stranded (the whole point of the article I guess). I lived in Midwest for a long time and personally have known just one person there that would let the tank go to "light on". With more and more charging stations coming on-line, it becomes predominantly a "time wasted" issue rather than range issue. In my opinion there is a big difference between someone driving an EV with 5 miles to go and same person driving an ICE vehicle with the same limit.

nmikmik said:
buickanddeere said:
I disagree, it also depends on where geographically people live at and how "comfortable" they feel if they get stranded (the whole point of the article I guess). I lived in Midwest for a long time and personally have known just one person there that would let the tank go to "light on". With more and more charging stations coming on-line, it becomes predominantly a "time wasted" issue rather than range issue. In my opinion there is a big difference between someone driving an EV with 5 miles to go and same person driving an ICE vehicle with the same limit.

I've been keeping spare jugs of gasoline and diesel in storage shortly after being married. I've lost count how many times Mrs B&D has parked on the sloped driveway. With the vehicle refusing to start for the next trip due to the last 1/2 inch of fuel running to the low side of the tank away from the pump.
She probably thinks the "E" on the fuel gauge indicates "Economy" :roll: .

buickanddeere said:
I've been keeping spare jugs of gasoline and diesel in storage shortly after being married. I've lost count how many times Mrs B&D has parked on the sloped driveway. With the vehicle refusing to start for the next trip due to the last 1/2 inch of fuel running to the low side of the tank away from the pump.

:) Well, I had that problem just once with each Mrs. and the Miss, recommended them to call AAA and have them take care of it. After that, knock on wood, they are really paying attention when it approaches the 1/4 tank and probably once a year have the warning light on.

nmikmik said:
buickanddeere said:

:) Well, I had that problem just once with each Mrs. and the Miss, recommended them to call AAA and have them take care of it. After that, knock on wood, they are really paying attention when it approaches the 1/4 tank and probably once a year have the warning light on.
I've always found the latter method more effective myself. As the saying goes, good judgement is the result of experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. OTOH, I've never tried that particular approach with an SO, so either you're braver than I am, or maybe Mrs. #2 was more tolerant than Mrs. #1?!

Back