Strange "duck" sound upon takeoff - anyone same problem?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iletric

I just got my car today. Took it right back to the dealer to have them figure out what that sound is and how to stop it. Sounds like a "duck" stuck behind the left rear just past the driver's seat. At first we thought it was a smart phone vibrating or something.

I'm curious to see if the dealer is able to isolate it and fix it. The sound lasts about 5 seconds after takeoff, disappears if I speed up, and comes back if I stop and take off again. It seem more pronounced when turning, but that may be imagined.

Same problem anyone? What was the fix?

Now that's not good. It may be part of the parcel. Something to live with. This is why I don't own any American cars. Plus the fact the cruise control is on the WRONG side of the steering wheel. But hey! I leased it b/c it has 90-mile frickin' range. I need it.

I have the car at the dealer as of now, and all day today. They're working on it. So far no luck. I will keep you posted if they find "something." It now appears they won't.

Meanwhile...there is that jerk when you put the car in D gear. Is that normal? Do you get that as well? Like noise and a jerk.

I have a similar whirr sound, but much much quieter, when I take off in my 92 Accord. I always think it's the fuel pump (I may be totally off base on that) so it may be something that the cars do.

My feeling is that the squeezed ducky sound has something to do with the AC being on upon takeoff. Try it with the AC off, see if you get no sound. I have no chance to do it right now, of course, but I told the dealer in a.m. to try it. Don't know if they did.

We may end up calling it a Chevy quirk and move on. I am leasing so what the heck. As long as that is the only problem with the vehicle, we'll live through it...

iletric said:
Now that's not good. It may be part of the parcel. Something to live with. This is why I don't own any American cars. Plus the fact the cruise control is on the WRONG side of the steering wheel. But hey! I leased it b/c it has 90-mile frickin' range. I need it.

I have the car at the dealer as of now, and all day today. They're working on it. So far no luck. I will keep you posted if they find "something." It now appears they won't.

Meanwhile...there is that jerk when you put the car in D gear. Is that normal? Do you get that as well? Like noise and a jerk.

I have a similar whirr sound, but much much quieter, when I take off in my 92 Accord. I always think it's the fuel pump (I may be totally off base on that) so it may be something that the cars do.

My feeling is that the squeezed ducky sound has something to do with the AC being on upon takeoff. Try it with the AC off, see if you get no sound. I have no chance to do it right now, of course, but I told the dealer in a.m. to try it. Don't know if they did.

We may end up calling it a Chevy quirk and move on. I am leasing so what the heck. As long as that is the only problem with the vehicle, we'll live through it...
This sounds like what I had posted here:
http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3421
I think these "sounds" are all related to the electric motor and electro-hydraulic braking system. But a "duck" sound? Not sure if this is the same or not?

The ducky sound (as coined by my daughter) is more of a whining/whirring sound. Lasts only about 3-5 seconds upon takeoff and stops as soon as you drive on.

The mechanic has the rear apart. He had put microphones all around and is pinpointing it. I should hear more from him by Tuesday next week.

So my entire possession of my brand new vehicle amounted to about 2 hours after it left the dealer's lot. Kinda funny. I want/need the car for my kid's college commute, so at this point I am not walking away from it. It's a lease and has 3-year bumper to bumper. So I'm not sweating it at this point.

I take it only one other person has this kind of problem... Please post if you do.

An update: It has been determined that the problem is the speed sensor -- either a faulty one or poorly installed -- that is rubbing against something in the left rear wheel area, especially under full load (meaning passengers). They're ordering the part and replace it on Tuesday. Will keep you updated.

Since there is never just one swallow returning from winter hibernation, there has to be another Spark out there with the same problem.

Please post.

Gee, I'm sorry you've had this hassle with the speed sensor. We've had our car going on three weeks and 600 miles with zero problems and better-than-expected range. Hope the problem is resolved next week so you can enjoy your sweet ride.

Resolved. They pinpointed the problem, got the part and put it in. All fixed. We're happy. Manager promised to have GM pay the first lease installment for the trouble. We'll see if he comes through. We had the car 2 hrs the day we leased it and had to wait 6 days to get it back.

We finally took it down the freeway. A little windy today. I was thrown around a bit. Not used to that. Had to watch my driving to maintain my lane. Well, small car. What can I say. It ain't no 6000 lb. Tesla, that's for sure.

Otherwise happy with the car. Considering changing all the speakers. Anyone considered to switch to Infinities? Anyone has speaker dimensions? I Googled it but could not find any info. Wondering how hard is it for the installers to remove those dash speaker grill covers.

iletric said:
Considering changing all the speakers. Anyone considered to switch to Infinities? Anyone has speaker dimensions? I Googled it but could not find any info. Wondering how hard is it for the installers to remove those dash speaker grill covers.

Please post of you do, curious what speakers fit and how much it improves the audio.

scotte said:
iletric said:
Considering changing all the speakers. Anyone considered to switch to Infinities? Anyone has speaker dimensions? I Googled it but could not find any info. Wondering how hard is it for the installers to remove those dash speaker grill covers.

Please post of you do, curious what speakers fit and how much it improves the audio.

The rears are 4ohm 4"x6" and fronts are 4" round. I tried the 3ohm 6402 Infinity speakers and they sounded worse with a lot of treble and not as clean of bass, so took them back. Will try out the front 4ohm Kicker or Polk next for the front, since those are the ones that lack the most bass anyway.

You may want to consider discussing this is the other thread here:

http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3446

iletric said:
It ain't no 6000 lb. Tesla, that's for sure.
What Tesla is 6000 lbs? That's beyond what even many battering ram of death class full-sized SUVs weigh.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/specs says "Curb weight: 4,647.3 lbs".

cwerdna said:
What Tesla is 6000 lbs? That's beyond what even many battering ram of death class full-sized SUVs weigh
That's with a few 250lb adults inside... :twisted:

iletric said:
As I've discussed in the other thread about "conventions" or lack of when it comes to controls... I examined the cruise controls of some random cars and took pics of some of them at the SF Auto Show... I'll post the pics if I find some time.

Here's where I found cruise controls:
- Audi S6 - lever on the left side of the steering wheel
- 2 Fords (don't remember model, C-Max and Escape?) - buttons on the left side of the wheel
- VW Jetta - crammed into the left turn signal stalk

Just because it's different doesn't mean it's wrong. If one came from American cars or German cars, one could argue that the Japanese have it "wrong". After all, Audi and VW are part of VAG and is sometimes the largest automaker in the world, by volume. (Their presence in the US is small though). And, GM in the US outsells any of the Japanese automakers.

BTW, I was in a Jeep Grand Cherokee and they put the wiper controls on the left turn signal stalk, somewhat similar GM stalks I pointed to at http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3553&p=4761&hilit=stalk#p4761.

Another example of a convention in the past for American cars (not sure if it's true now) is that turning the headlight dimmer switch all the way to beyond a detent turns on the interior lights. That was the case of every GM car we had and I think a Chrysler. Someone I knew who had only Japanese cars was looking told me over the phone (after her trip) that she couldn't find a way to turn on the interior light w/o opening the door on her American rental car (probably GM). My response: next time, turn the headlight dimmer to beyond max brightness.

On the subject of cruise control (CC), cwerdna:

I drove the car in the last 2 days for about 150 miles. I tried to use CC without looking. Every time I wanted to slow down I hit the top button - speed up. And every time I had to hit the brakes to consternation of my wife: I hate your driving! Stop with that cruise. (I wouldn't). Women hate to use CC - I have informal statistic on that. :mrgreen:

Left or right of the steering, CC in Spark has terrible ergonomics. They shaped it to looks, didn't care about its tactile functionality. I truly love my 92 Accord CC. It's theee best. Leaf's is doable. Spark's is absolute crap.

Oh, yeah. And one more thing. Heater did not work on either day. Car has to go to a shop. Ridiculous. As I said before. It's cheap and it has 90 miles. That's all folks. I guess I'm spoiled by driving Leaf for 2 years now.

Back