Today I met the Governor! He said "Whoa..."

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pawl said:
Caught me by surprise...not that I was wanting to push it further.

Still pulls like a train even when you hit it...you can tell this thing has lot's more potential.

Wonder what would happen [to the car] if there was no governor? What would the topping out look like?

Such a great little video.

I was more curious about what happens on the top end (not where that mph might be) in an electric motor like the Spark's. Does it just keep going faster and faster? What is the final limiting factor(s)?

Pawl said:

I was more curious about what happens on the top end (not where that mph might be) in an electric motor like the Spark's. Does it just keep going faster and faster? What is the final limiting factor(s)?

Back EMF is the limiting factor. Eventually the spinning creates enough reverse voltage to cancel the voltage causing the spinning...

Sparkler said:
Pawl said:

Back EMF is the limiting factor. Eventually the spinning creates enough reverse voltage to cancel the voltage causing the spinning...

That will probably happen at about 40mph with the SparkEV. Above that speed they use a technique called "field weakening" to cancel the field of the permanent magnets in the rotor. Eventually that becomes too difficult/inefficient and that limits the maximum speed of the motor.

kevin

Back