Chevy Spark EV Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: new spark ev owner in Alabama
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:34 pm 

But, wouldn't that get you in trouble in your state?
Here you have 30 days to register the car to MA plates

Who would the car be Registered to? The dealer?
Insurance? is it a Lease?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:45 pm 

tigger19687 wrote:
But, wouldn't that get you in trouble in your state?
Here you have 30 days to register the car to MA plates

Who would the car be Registered to? The dealer?
Insurance? is it a Lease?

Just like driving a Uhaul truck or a Hertz rental car, they have license plates from all over. The owner is in California, paying taxes and license plates in California.

The car would be registered to the owner. The renter would be driving the car wherever they wanted, even out-of-state.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:58 am 

Well, I would have a hard time here in MA as I would be pulled over all the time and have to explain that it is a rental car.

At any rate, they are "suppose" to be coming to the rest of us (maybe just the other ZEV states?) this year.
So I would think that this would be a mute point.

Honestly I don't know why anyone would lease any way. Too many cons... you don't own it but still have to pay all the fees/sales/taxes on it, limited miles.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:36 pm 

I dont know if Spark EV will leave California and Oregon, but here's the CARB state coalition - California, New York, Massachusetts, Oregon, Vermont, Maryland, Connecticut and Rhode Island.

The eight states combined account for 23 percent of U.S. vehicle sales, according to California’s Air Resources Board.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:44 am 

Arizona (2012 model year),[1] Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia.[2][3] Such states are frequently referred to as "CARB states" in automotive discussions because the regulations are defined by the California Air Resources Board.

ZEV states are California, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont

There is a difference. ZEV is Zero Em.

I think the ZEV states may get them faster, not sure about VT as there is such a wide open area that might not have chargers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:07 pm 

If Chevy is having trouble getting these cars throughout California, I'm not sure how long it will be before they get them to other states. I think I might be the only person in San Luis Obispo County to have a SparkEV. I hope not, but I haven't ever seen them listed for sale at local Chevy dealers and haven't seen any on the road in our area. :cry:

Maybe if they do start selling them in other states, it will be as here. The bigger cities get them; the more rural areas get ignored.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:04 am 

I am thinking that maybe the "outter" areas may not have them because there are few Public Charge Plugs ?

That would be my only thought.
Easier to sell when there are many open plugs available.

Kinda like selling a gas car with no gas stations for a 1000 miles ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:04 am 

Quote:
I am thinking that maybe the "outter" areas may not have them because there are few Public Charge Plugs ?

That would be my only thought.
Easier to sell when there are many open plugs available.

Kinda like selling a gas car with no gas stations for a 1000 miles

You could be right. That might be Chevy's thinking. In our town, we have only one 240 charger (Tesla has 4 chargers here). In the city of San Luis Obispo there are quite a few 240's (Tesla doesn't have any there).

But, here's the thing....
I NEVER use public chargers. What Chevy's forgetting is that since most of us "single-home dwellers" have our own garages, we can have our own chargers. Plugging-in in my garage is way more convenient than dealing with a plug-in station. When I leave the house in the morning, the car is fully charged. I work in the town I live in, so my commute isn't long. I plug the Spark in as soon as I get home so it's always ready to go wherever we might want to take it in the evening. The Spark isn't my "toy," it's the car I drive all the time. If my husband and I go anywhere in the county together, it's the car we take. For long trips we take his Honda CRV.

I don't think I'm an exception to any rule. I'm no big risk-taker. There are a lot of people out there like me. Fiat 500e's are selling well in our area. Chevy has to wake up! San Luis county is part of California!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:26 am 

I see your point.
The Fiat is too small and only a 2 seater. People will just buy the Smart Car as they have it here in Boston for a long time.

I think Chevy needs to make the base price small. Not everyone will be able to use the Fed Credit on their taxes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:56 pm 

Is you can't qualifyfor the fed tax credit then just lease. You get the CA rebate and the lease rate combined with the fuel savings will make it cheaper than most any used car over 3 years. The mileage is unlikely to to be an issue if you only charge at home.
Is it really that hard to find the spark ev in stock? My local dealer have 5 or more in stock most of the time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next