Tesla Magic Dock & 2014 Spark EV Not Good News

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveMy2014SparkEV

I was so excited to find out that one of the two locations in California was not too far from me. I got the Tesla app and signed up and inputted my credit card for payments. My car would start charging for about 10 seconds and then I get a charging error. I tried 4 different stalls with multiple attempts on each. I dried a second credit card. I am sure I must have made 15 or 20 attempts.

At one point the Tesla app said for me to look at the list of EVs that are compatible but I accidentally pressed the wrong button on the app and couldn't get back to it. I have scoured the app and googled for a list once I got back home but I can't find anything. The app doesn't even have an 800 number to call for assistance.

Had I been able to charge on the first or second try I would have been thrilled. I pulled into the last stall on the right into a non EV parking spot right next to the charger. This way I wouldn't be blocking any of the other stalls. I must say while the charging cable was pretty short I was able to easily plug it in do to the cable being much thinner and flexible than any other DC Faster Charger I ever used. I was easily able to plug it in one handed. The time it took the Tesla charger to communicate with the car and start charging was pretty quick.

I have the Torque app and saw my car request the usual amount of KW and was able to watch the KW from the charger go up to about 21 KW at its peek very quickly within just one or two seconds. The light on top of the dash had already turned green and the horn honked once as it always does. Then everything went down to zero. The app then said there was an error and to unplug and put the magic dock back and try again. I was at about 55% battery when I arrived. Battery was nice and warm. Outside temperature in the low to mid 60s Fahrenheit. Now on my dash I have a warning light. The same one I get whenever there is a failed charging session at a DCFC. To make sure my car was still capable of DC fast charging I drove a few miles to a ChargePoint and charged for a few minutes. Everything was fine.

Wish Tesla had a way to report problems online. I sure hope they fix whatever is the issue. Having the ability to charge at Tesla chargers would increase the number of available sights by at least 1/3 and make many road trips that are currently impossible a reality for us.

I will give it a go in another month or two. I'll keep you all posted.

Sounds like you have the known DC fast charging problem. It's already been posted about with a solution, here, for example:

https://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=28612#p28612

At some charging stations, the cable doesn't fit securely and charging fails. There's a service bulletin to file down a corner of the charging port on your car. See the link above, or this:

(Nov. 2016, GM service bulletin PI1382A, "Intermittent Unable to Charge from DC Fast Charge") see:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/ ... 2-9999.pdf

Let us know if this helps.

Porsche said:
Sounds like you have the known DC fast charging problem. It's already been posted about with a solution, here, for example:

https://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=28612#p28612

At some charging stations, the cable doesn't fit securely and charging fails. There's a service bulletin to file down a corner of the charging port on your car. See the link above, or this:

(Nov. 2016, GM service bulletin PI1382A, "Intermittent Unable to Charge from DC Fast Charge") see:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/ ... 2-9999.pdf

Let us know if this helps.

Hi Porsche,
I know the modification you are talking about and did it well over a year ago. I was having problems at Electrify America stations before I did the modification. Afterwards I have had no problems at all. The issue is with the Tesla Charger not my Spark EV.

Good suggestion though had I not already did it.

Guys!, please don't file down plastic parts on your Spark EV due to ancient posts to this forum.
My attempt to use the Tesla Magic Dock in Enfield, CT in 2024 on my 2015 Spark EV was a bust.
Clearly, there is no accommodation for the connector to lock.

Magicdock.jpg for the

Back