Is 17.5 kwh the real number for usuable battery size?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkeySam

I've read many posts of late discussing the size of the battery, and more importantly, the USABLE battery size.

I've got a 2016 Spark EV. I know that the '15s and '16s have a different battery than the earlier models.

About 8700 miles on it.

I didn't pay attention to the kwh used at first, but have for the last 1000 miles. It seems that my available USABLE kwh is around 17 1/2 kwh. Maybe 17.6 or 17.7, but let's say 17.5 for argument.

At first I panicked...."OH NO....I've already lost 10% of my battery".....but since reading many posts, it seems the mid 17's are about what to expect for the '15-'16 models. At least with that kind of mileage. I.e. that's the USABLE number. Is that the general consensus???

Also, is the consensus on whether to charge to full each time or not that there is no consensus? I.e. some still believe it doesn't make a difference and others think it is wrong to do with the Spark EV?

Thanks

The numbers floating around for the nominal usable kWh capacity are between 17.5 and 18.5, no official info available that I could find.

There should be no issue charging to full each time as the SOC protection is built in, and is why the usable capacity is lower than the actual battery capacity.

SparkeySam said:
I've read many posts of late discussing the size of the battery, and more importantly, the USABLE battery size.

I've got a 2016 Spark EV. I know that the '15s and '16s have a different battery than the earlier models.

About 8700 miles on it.

I didn't pay attention to the kwh used at first, but have for the last 1000 miles. It seems that my available USABLE kwh is around 17 1/2 kwh. Maybe 17.6 or 17.7, but let's say 17.5 for argument.

At first I panicked...."OH NO....I've already lost 10% of my battery".....but since reading many posts, it seems the mid 17's are about what to expect for the '15-'16 models. At least with that kind of mileage. I.e. that's the USABLE number. Is that the general consensus???

Also, is the consensus on whether to charge to full each time or not that there is no consensus? I.e. some still believe it doesn't make a difference and others think it is wrong to do with the Spark EV?
Thanks
I have a 2015 Spark EV 2LT. My average calculated battery capacity for the last 110 full-charge sessions, covering 1 year and 7587 miles, is 17.78 kWh. Starting in March 2016 my first three full-charge sessions averaged 17.46 kWh. This month, March 2017, My last 3 full-charge sessions averaged 17.27 kWh. I did notice the capacity increased slightly during the summer and is the reason my annual average is higher than either my starting number or ending number.

Back