neomaxcom
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:37 pm

New owner of one of the oldest SPARK EVs around

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi all

Just picked up a 2014 Spark EV that was first registered/licensed, not in California, but Michigan on February 8, 2013 with a VIN ending in 400065.

Given that Spark EVs weren't officially sold until the summer of 2013 in California and this was registered to a corporate fleet in Michigan, I figure I got one of the very earliest ones.

In general it is in great shape. I bought it with just over 10,000 miles on the odometer. After it was retired by GM with about 5000 miles in 2015, it was auctioned and apparently stayed on a Chevy dealers lot in Atlanta for a while until bought by a second person (all this from the carfax) and apparently I bought it from them as the Carfax only showed two owners.

It is an LT1 with out the DCFC and is very, very 'white' in color. Seems to be a solid, low mile car.

The main concern I had was battery degradation and I sense there is some. While the miles are great for the car, its early 2013 'registration' means it will probably reach its ten year battery warranty in early 2023, which is still a ways away. What I have noticed in the few battery capacity estimates is that capacity seems to be between 16.5-17kw for the power pack. I've found driving it, I can probably get 75 miles range if I baby it using low always for maximum regen (slightly hilly terrain) and cap my output to below 20-25kw for acceleration getting to speed and work to keep it under 10kw to roughly maintain existing momentum.

I suspect as a fleet car and test drive car there was little care taken to maximize battery life and it has probably seen its fair share of rapid acceleration.

The guy I bought it from - a chevy enthusiast with a 'vette - was right at 55 miles from my house and the GOM said it had 63 miles of range. I drove it extremely efficiently back and made it back with 20 miles on the GOM (over 5.5 miles per Kwh) Of course it is more fun when the mpkwh are under 4.0 :)

Anyway, just wanted to check in. Oh, I got this after I picked up a 2012 Volt premium for my wife and decided to upgrade to an electric for me.

The real question is, as the Spark EV was GM's first after the ill-fated EV1 and this being a very early production run, could this be sometime in the future a collectable? Heck, I've even considered doing a presentation on it being one of the first 100 ... a claim substantiated by the VIN# and the early, early registration date.

neomaxcom
Last edited by neomaxcom on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris101
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:37 am

Re: New owner of one of the oldest SPARK EVs around

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:54 pm

Welcome but you have some mis-information because the Spark EV was sold in California starting in summer 2013 (not 2016).

I too own a 2014 Spark EV but ours was purchased from Phoenix, AZ and trucked back to us in Chicago, IL.

My 'in service date' was July 30 2013

My VIN ends in 0226 (not sure if that means I have #226 or what?)


Anyway, I'm also not too sure about your idea of 'collectible' but I suppose anything is possible.

neomaxcom
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:37 pm

Re: New owner of one of the oldest SPARK EVs around

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:14 pm

Chris:

Sorry about that error on the original sale date. That was a brain fart ... I knew it was the summer of 2013. (I changed it) Still being registered in February in Michigan to a 'corporate fleet' ... is suggestive that this was a GM corporate car possibly used for press, loans and or executive use.

I do think that the early, early EV's will all have a certain cachet in that they are pioneering vehicles. Collectability is also based in part on rarity.

From the wiki:
Within the framework of GM's vehicle electrification strategy,[52] the Spark EV is the first all-electric passenger car marketed by General Motors in the U.S. since the EV1 was discontinued in 1999.[1] The Spark EV was released in the U.S. in selected markets in California and Oregon in June 2013.[2] The electric car has gone on sale in Maryland in the second quarter of 2015, the first East Coast state where the Spark EV is available.[53] As of December 2014, U.S. sales totaled 1,684 units.[54]


That it won 'Car and Driver's' five EV car comparison test back in 2013 (or was it 2014) The whole production run of the EV was but 7400 cars.

neomaxcom
Last edited by neomaxcom on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SparkE
Posts: 329
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:18 am
Location: SF Bay Area (San Jose, CA)

Re: New owner of one of the oldest SPARK EVs around

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:36 pm

If you are going to edit, would you fix this as well pleae?

The correct spelling/term isn't "have a certain cache", it should be "have a certain cachet" (note the 'T').

They are two distinct words, with different meanings and spellings (and pronunciations). The first is pronounced just like the American word 'cash', the second is pronounced similar to "parlay" or "mayday" (or bidet) (or cash-eh, if you are Canadian - yes, that was a joke).

neomaxcom
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:37 pm

Re: New owner of one of the oldest SPARK EVs around

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:00 pm

SparkE wrote:If you are going to edit, would you fix this as well pleae?

The correct spelling/term isn't "have a certain cache", it should be "have a certain cachet" (note the 'T').

They are two distinct words, with different meanings and spellings (and pronunciations). The first is pronounced just like the American word 'cash', the second is pronounced similar to "parlay" or "mayday" (or bidet) (or cash-eh, if you are Canadian - yes, that was a joke).
Nope, not a Canadian. Born and bred in Dixie. Grew up callin hogs and now in a state where they call the dogs.

I would ask if you are German, though.

neomaxcom

Chris101
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:37 am

Re: New owner of one of the oldest SPARK EVs around

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:15 pm

Well if you wanted to start a collection of Detroit Spark EV corporate cars, here's a 2016 FS with under 700 miles:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

CCIE
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:47 am
Location: CT

Re: New owner of one of the oldest SPARK EVs around

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:24 pm

Your range should get a lot better when it warms up.
2018 Tesla M3 LR RWD
2015 Spark EV 2LT with DCFC (traded-in 8/2018)
2012 Volt

SparkE
Posts: 329
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:18 am
Location: SF Bay Area (San Jose, CA)

Re: New owner of one of the oldest SPARK EVs around

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:44 pm

neomaxcom wrote:
SparkE wrote:If you are going to edit, would you fix this as well pleae?

The correct spelling/term isn't "have a certain cache", it should be "have a certain cachet" (note the 'T').

They are two distinct words, with different meanings and spellings (and pronunciations). The first is pronounced just like the American word 'cash', the second is pronounced similar to "parlay" or "mayday" (or bidet) (or cash-eh, if you are Canadian - yes, that was a joke).
Nope, not a Canadian. Born and bred in Dixie. Grew up callin hogs and now in a state where they call the dogs.

I would ask if you are German, though.

neomaxcom
No, not German - but my father's mother was - we called her gramma nazi...

NORTON
Posts: 1240
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 5:52 am
Location: KC,MO

Re: New owner of one of the oldest SPARK EVs around

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:33 am

neomaxcom wrote:... on February 8, 2013 with a VIN ending in 400065.
.... I've found driving it, I can probably get 75 miles range if I baby it using low always for maximum regen (slightly hilly terrain) and cap my output to below 20-25kw.....
.... Of course it is more fun when the mpkwh are under 4.0 :)
Congrats on having one of the first !
Sounds like you pack is fine. You have to plot capacity over time to get a good picture.

Driving in L is no different than driving in D and using the Brake Pedal. It's all regen until the friction brakes blend in as regen is maxed out.
Regen in general is not 100% efficient. It's still way better than making brake discs hot.
Avoid strong regen.
What you want to do is maintain the momentum and glide in N,, but that's all high level EV ninja stuff.

Sounds like you found the fun factor! Electrons are still the cheapest way to haul yoazz down the road. I don't pinch the electrons.
I like to tell people it is really a hybrid car. It burns electrons and rubber !! :lol:

How about low to mid 2.x miles/kWh... 80 mph into -5°F headwinds, keeping it comfortable in the cabin.
Come on Spring Time !! You'll love the range when it's warm out!
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +71 K miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 2nd guess not covered by warranty and cost $800. 3rd guess fixed the problem.

neomaxcom
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:37 pm

Re: New owner of one of the oldest SPARK EVs around

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:12 am

CCIE wrote:Your range should get a lot better when it warms up.


Being just outside Atlanta, the winter is relatively mild. It has been in the low 60s the last couple of days and, in my first battery capacity test, I drove somewhat gingerly. It gave me a range of 73 miles this morning (it conditioned itself yesterday before the 'test.')
Norton wrote: Congrats on having one of the first !
Sounds like you pack is fine. You have to plot capacity over time to get a good picture.

Driving in L is no different than driving in D and using the Brake Pedal. It's all regen until the friction brakes blend in as regen is maxed out.
Regen in general is not 100% efficient. It's still way better than making brake discs hot.
Avoid strong regen.
What you want to do is maintain the momentum and glide in N,, but that's all high level EV ninja stuff.

Sounds like you found the fun factor! Electrons are still the cheapest way to haul yoazz down the road. I don't pinch the electrons.
I like to tell people it is really a hybrid car. It burns electrons and rubber !! :lol:

How about low to mid 2.x miles/kWh... 80 mph into -5°F headwinds, keeping it comfortable in the cabin.
Come on Spring Time !! You'll love the range when it's warm out!
One of the key reasons I had to go electric was the ability to make most of my driving 'one-pedal' - I guess you can call me lazy. I do note that when doing so, you can modulate the pedal to cruise downhill at any variable rate of regen from 'zero' amps? to the max regen. Going downhill with the pedal depressed for zero regen, I actually gain speed as if I were freewheeling... and of course, I don't have to move the shifter (I do like one pedal driving).

As my EV doesn't have DCQC'ing and the charging infrastructure is not nearly as robust as it needs to be, I've been a bit reluctant to enter full bore bliss. There are four public charging stations and half of those are, according to chargepoint, unreliable. This is in a suburban/exurban county outside Atlanta which presumably has one of the highest concentrations of EVs in the nation. (We're 35 miles from Hartsfield-Jackson) When I was in the tag office getting this car registered, they said there were but three pure-electric cars in the county (I'm sure there are more PHEVs). Of course I have a 240v charger which frees my 120v charger for placement in the boot.
SparkE wrote:No, not German - but my father's mother was - we called her gramma nazi...
I bet when you were a baby, they said you had your gramma's eyes :)

I do have a question regarding the mylink system and the bringgo app. I suspect that the later models (2016) access to ... what is android auto/google nav ... may be superior. Anyway I have the trial version of bringgo but when I went to key in a new destination, the text entry for an address was restricted. Does that go away with the full version or is there a way to update to the later android auto app? I'm still playing with the bringgo app and may be able to answer that question myself.

neomaxcom

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”