NORTON

Re: Changing digital readout from Centigrade to Fahrenheit

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:30 pm

charles wrote:..Is stopping without brake lights a crime? Not to my knowledge. Of course it is generally unsafe.

Stopping without brake lights (dead battery, jump start to get home, car dies on the way home, no lights) brought an end to my 1989 Honda CRX. I didn't even have time to get out before I was rear ended.

.. I hope you can understand that I feel strongly about this ... In the end, I did survive both cases.
I'm pretty sure there is a law that you need working brake lights. :roll:
In fact I think the Feds have now made some sort of law for us EV Geeks about decelerating above a certain G rate requires a brake light.

Nope. Can't understand why you feel strongly about this subject,, especially with your history. :oops:
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +73 K miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 2nd guess not covered by warranty and cost $800. 3rd guess fixed the problem.

charles

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:51 pm

NORTON wrote: I'm pretty sure there is a law that you need working brake lights. :roll:
In fact I think the Feds have now made some sort of law for us EV Geeks about decelerating above a certain G rate requires a brake light.

Nope. Can't understand why you feel strongly about this subject,, especially with your history. :oops:
Um, yeah. When it comes to safety inspection, if my brake lights don't work when the brake pedal is depressed, I fail, and I should. That much I will concede.

So I'm a minority as an EV driver that also happens to be in the minority on the subject of brake light control.

I don't agree with the G rate thing. How is what I want any different than dropping it from 6th to 2nd in my 2006 Civic Si? I'm pretty sure that didn't activate the brake lights. If I grab a handful of (or step on) the e-brake has that traditionally activated the brake lights? Maybe it does, I honestly don't know, but would not expect it.

Some good has come of this, it did prompt me to become more acquainted with the Spark EV parking / emergency brake.

I tested it after dark, and just as I hoped it would not, engaging the parking / emergency brake while rolling with lights off engaged the brake lights. Do "normal" cars do that? Oh well.

My argument is simply a desire to have "control freak" freedom vs. what is obviously more safe. I had freedom before, and kind of took it for granted. Now I seem to be in the minority, so I lose.

On a brighter note, if you've never experimented with use of the Spark EV parking / emergency brake, try it sometime when it's not an emergency. It's a rather foreign experience, for me at least, but with a little practice, if an emergency arises, hopefully you will have the feel and muscle memory. That's the good that's come out of this discussion in my case.

NORTON

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:11 am

charles wrote:...I don't agree with the G rate thing.
>How is what I want any different than dropping it from 6th to 2nd in my 2006 Civic Si? ...
>If I grab a handful of (or step on) the e-brake has that traditionally activated the brake lights? ....

On a brighter note, if you've never experimented with use of the Spark EV parking / emergency brake, try it sometime when it's not an emergency. ....
with a little practice, if an emergency arises, hopefully you will have the feel and muscle memory. That's the good that's come out of this discussion in my case.
The Feds are trying to make the place a little safer. For all.
A ninja can cut wires and install a switch to do his deeds, whatever they may be.... :roll: Probably not for good, but for evil :lol:

>>If you do these things, with cars behind you,, well,, you know what everyone would call you, right?

On a brighter note ! 8-) I agree, practice with the E brake while in motion!

(On a darker note: I bought a used motorcycle once that had 2 switches. 1 shut off ALL rear light functions. The other shut off the headlight. I never used them but I knew when I would need to use them. Fortunately I was an adult.)
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +73 K miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 2nd guess not covered by warranty and cost $800. 3rd guess fixed the problem.

charles

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:27 am

Good advice. I should take it to the Modifications & Accessories section if I want to go full ninja.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”