Strange things happening

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikew66

2014 Spark EV. I've had it for about 6 months with no issues. Recently, some strange things have been occurring. Here are some examples. I moved my car from the street to my driveway. I turned the car off and locked it and went inside my house. A minute later, I went outside and noticed my lights were on. I looked inside and the car had turned on by itself and was running.

A couple of days later, I went to leave for work and my car would not unlock. I used the key to unlock the door and the instrument panel was dark and did not show anything when I opened the door. I tried using the OnStar app to start it and that didn't work. About 4 minutes later, the instrument panel came on and I was able to start the car

Today, when I got to work, I shut off the car and sat in it for about 5 minutes, listening to the radio. When I got out, the car would not lock. I tried to turn the car on and it was totally "dead". I tried about 10 minutes later, and the car was back to normal so I was able to lock it.

Has anyone had these type of issues? Thanks.

Mike

Sounds like you've got an electrical gremlin...I've not had this on my Spark but have seen it on other cars I've owned. I suggest a dealership visit and see if they can figure it out. Good luck!

Sounds like a SW glitch.

I'd take pictures of your radio station presets and all the vehicle config pages to capture the settings you like.

Then get out a 10mm wrench and disconnect the Negative cable from the 12V battery under the hood.
Wait about 30 seconds and reconnect. And then give the car a test. And reset the saved pages.

If this sounds scary, take it to the dealer. They'll probably do the same procedure first, but you may be due some SW upgrades.
Let us know what they do if you go the dealer route !

Good luck, stay in touch.

NORTON said:
I'd take pictures of your radio station presets and all the vehicle config pages to capture the settings you like.

Then get out a 10mm wrench and disconnect the Negative cable from the 12V battery under the hood.

No need to record your settings. They're not lost when disconnecting the 12V battery.

Bryce

Nashco said:
No need to record your settings. They're not lost when disconnecting the 12V battery.

Bryce

Oh, I didn't know that. I never had to do any of this. My Spark EV has been flawless for the ~ 7000 miles I have driven it,,, for free! Knock on wood....

What if you give it a hard reboot by having the 12V battery disconnected about 5 minutes?
I'm surprised all this data is stored during a complete power down.

Still haven't had a chance to take the car and leave it at the dealer for them to check it out. The car started on its own again tonight. The weird part is that you have to step on the brake to start it. Both times, I wasn't anywhere near the brake and it started by itself. Then after that, the car was completely dead for 5 or 10 minutes.

d15b7 said:
hi. my 2015 you MUST have your foot on the brake pedal to start it.

Yeah that's why I'm saying it's weird. My foot isn't on the brake and it starts by itself. Hopefully I can get it in to the dealer soon and I'll update this with the results.

Sadly this definitely seems like there's an ongoing electrical issue. I'd have Onstar tow it to you nearest dealer as soon as you can.

Back